Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

83%
17%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6 reviews
This is quite an inspiring book. I feel motivated to be a better leader and father after reading this. I also have a better understanding of the road my oldest son has taken when I drop him off in August for his matriculation at VMI (Virginia Military Institute). His journey will be hard, but I think the rewards will be more than worth it.

This is a book about leadership, and creating leaders. Leaders are not born, they are forged. The cadets at VMI have to endure some pretty tough times to graduate. Much will be asked and expected from these men and women. These trials and tribulations help form them into leaders that will make the right decision even when that decision is hard or unpopular. They then go on to lead in the military and also in the business world.

In America at the moment we are at a deficit when it comes to leaders of character. Without mentioning any names you can pick dozens of politicians and business leaders from the front pages of the papers that obviously do not live by the code "I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate anyone that does." We desperately need the kind of leaders that VMI produces.

I enjoyed the history and accomplishments of recent VMI graduates that this book presents. I have heard and read about many of these people, but I was not aware that they were VMI graduates. That sends a very strong message when so many alumni are actually helping to make this country a better place. It is hard not to be proud of them.

I also enjoyed the last chapter "You may be whatever you resolve to be" where Professor Husted lays out 25 lessons of leadership. That alone is more than worth the price of this book.

I think this book should be required reading for anyone even remotely thinking about attending VMI. I also think it needs to be read by family members too. They need to have a better understanding of what their cadets will go through, and they need to be very supportive because their cadets will be pushed past their previous limits.

I think this book should also be required reading for anyone that aspires to be in any type of leadership position anywhere. They need to understand that leadership is not about telling people what to do, its about inspiring others to do the right thing, not the easy thing. They need to understand that being a leader means making sacrifices, but in the long run its worth it.

***10/18/2010*** Just returned home from a trip to Virginia Military Institute. It was parents weekend. My son looks fantastic and says he really loves being there. He did mention that the school is very tough, but he is rising to the challenge. We are very proud of him.

***2/2/2011*** The VMI Rats went through their "breakout" about two weeks ago. They are now officially Cadets! 5 months of the "Rat line" has finally ended as the Freshman class comes together as a team. I got to hear the stories from my son and a few other parents and alumni, I am very proud of my son and all the other cadets at VMI. Great job! Sounds like it was very tough, but they pulled through.

***5/17/2011*** Spent the weekend at VMI. My son has completed his first year and he absolutely loved it! I got to spend time with him and with many of his friends, a number of whom graduated and commissioned into the Armed Forces this weekend and are now going on to assume the ranks of Officers in various branches of the military. It is hard not to be proud of these men and women. They are our future leaders and I am sure they will continue to make us proud.

***8/20/2011*** Today is matriculation day for this years group of Rats. Today starts their "hell week" and I am sure they will remember it forever. I dropped my son off at VMI last week. He is part of the Cadre that will be training the new batch of Rats. I am so proud of him. It is a great feeling to see him so excited about being part of the Cadre and getting to work with the new rats and help them to succeed.

***5/16/2012*** Well I have not updated in a hile, so lets catch up. My son completed his second year at VMI, and he still loves it. He says the challenges remain and it is still tough, but he feels he is even more up to the challenge and continues to do well. He still feels he made the right choice with VMI and he is looking forward to going back in the fall.
on July 16, 2012
Well worth reading as it reaffirms the tremendous value proposition of a VMI education. Most accomplished high-school seniors have a hard time looking past the siren song of the "College Experience," and while VMI STEM programs are top shelf, the massive upside here compared with a traditional college education is for liberal arts/business majors. There are numerous sports/clubs and activities that provide incredible opportunities outside the regimented lifestyle that due to VMI's small size, allows meaningful opportunities above and beyond the typical "college experience." The real payoff though is after graduation: accomplished and disciplined adults that employers recognize are equipped to become an immediate asset to their operations! Observations based on watching an upcoming 2013 grad go through the process from having major 2nd thoughts about attending VMI senior year in HS, to wanting to transfer during the first 3 months to finally embracing and taking advantage of all that VMI offers.
on January 1, 2016
Remarkably well written book by a Virginia Tech alum and business professor on his take on VMI and its larger leadership lessons.
on July 26, 2009
Colonel Husted's inspired look at VMI (Virginia Military Institute)answers all the questions on this mysterious, one of a kind, place of ultimate education. If you are looking to find out more on this amazing American institution this is it.
Very well written, though the pictures are a bit fuzzy, VMI comes through as absolutely the very best leadership college in the US if not the world.
Bravo, Colonel, Bravo!
Send a copy to anyone thinking of VMI or even alumni.
on July 21, 2015
There are many books on "Leadership Lessons" derived from military colleges. Most of them are about West Point. Evidently there is a good reason for that. The books about West Point are far better. "The Long Grey Line", "Absolutely American" and "Duty First" are far more compelling and less politically biased. It would seem that VMI is suffering from the same dillema as many traditionally Southern schools (Ole Miss easily comes to mind): In the current climate of political correctness, the Institute has become embarrased by it's own past and the Confederacy. That baggage of institutional white guilt impedes the central theme of this book to the point of hamstringing. If this book is any indication of the training at VMI, it would seem that the Keydets aren't learning leadership so much as proclaiming themselves to be leaders while they apologize for their own history... all this while evidently doing a lot of push-ups. This book made it seem like the Institute was a place for young people who couldn't get into West Point. I did not attend VMI, but I would certainly hope that what this book portrays, at least to this reader, is far from the truth.