Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

Hard Time (Phoenix Chronicles Book 2)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on January 15, 2013
The plot made very little sense to me. It seems that the author must have read somewhere that she should throw as much crap at her characters as possible in order to keep the reader's interest. It's just too much. I was overwhelmed and then I became numb and disinterested. So many times, hope is held out that they'll get out of the situation they're in, then that hope is snatched away.

The ending of the first half is anticlimactic; it seemed too easy to me after all the lead up and false hope. It's almost a deus ex machina.

The second half of the book is a completely separate story that reads like it should have been a whole other book. However, the story here is much stronger. Finally, the characters have some control over their own destinies; they are acting instead of being acted upon.

The writing is much better throughout than it was in Telepaths and Traitors. While I rolled my eyes at the time travel and the over-the-top torture scenes, it was still much more realistic. And the spelling and grammar was cleaner.

However, I couldn't feel for the characters as well as I did in the first book. There's just so much going on, and it's so overdone that I lost empathy for them. This is sad, as I loved the characters while I was reading the first book.

When I got this book, it was a free download on If it's still free, it's worth picking up if you like sci-fi.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 23, 2012
This story is written in the same vein of Blaine's other work, Gynocracy. I love that she uses the same characters, and I love that her stories encompass more than one genre. That means there's something for everyone. Again, we see the crew of the Phoenix pull together and try to maintain some sort of morale in what could essentially be a living nightmare. But with a little courage, camaraderie, and innovation, they manage to save the day...and ensure the future of mankind. There were thrills and chills around every corner, making this hard to put down! My only regret was that one of my favorite characters from her other story did not appear, although she was mentioned a few times. Other than that, I truly enjoyed it, and I would highly recommend it. I really don't think you'll be disappointed.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 3, 2012
K.J. Blaine delivers another great read. I love memorable characters and after reading "Gynocracy" had to know more about the crew of the Phoenix and this book answers the questions I had. Space opera isn't my first genre choice, but this book (and series) is so well written that even the science stuff is interesting.