Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 15 reviews
on February 9, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this publication. The book takes you through the past season and was a nice touch. I'm unaware if this is something that the authors usually do as this was my first time purchasing one of their publications. I was able to get through the book quickly due to the authors not overwhelming with too many statistics. Definitely helped expand my understanding of baseball. I read Fangraphs' articles on their website and I find they put out quality work.

This past season I fell back in love with baseball and I was looking for a publication to get me through the offseason. I received this book for Christmas, and I'm glad I left numerous hints around the house as the book was a great gift. By no means do I fully understand the sabermetric side of the sport, but I'm getting there, and this was an easy read for a newbie.

No issues with shipping/tracking, received the order as I should.
on December 7, 2012
This year's is another must-have for the more-than-casual baseball fan.

All of the articles are well written and informative, and run the gamut from math-oriented to history. There is the usual smart-aleck year-in-review, a great look at the 2012 A's which highlights the touch of Billy Beane, a (necessarily) sad article about the collapse of the Red Sox and a GM in-a-box of the White Sox' Kenny Williams, the same style as Bill James used in his book on managers.

You will also find an assessment of Satchel Paige's career, including MLE's for his last years in pro ball when he was (unfairly as the numbers indicate) stuck in the minors. Talk about a man poorly served by MLB . . . There's an interesting article on the effects of "Tommy John" surgery (I think Tommy should be in the Hall for this alone - the long career is a bonus!) on pitchers, and a lengthy one on Horace Stoneman's (when was the last time his name came up?)contribution to the game. How about an analysis of umpire's strike zones? Great!

There are so many articles, all of which I found interesting and having merit, that I must stress this is the tip of the iceberg.

The plethora of authors keeps things moving, and leads to at least one interesting difference of opinion: in the Tommy John surgery article the author concludes the Nationals were right in the Strasburg decision, while in the ethics article the author is highly critical of it. This gives you something to think about, and isn't that what we want from a baseball book?

Really, the complaint that I have is that I could easily justify paying more for an even longer book (maybe I am in a minority as things do need to be consumable to the masses); for example articles on every team like the ones on the A's and Red Sox.

That's the problem: no matter how much is here, I want more. Hey, if that's the complaint, they are doing great. I love it and I believe you will too. If you don't, it will give you something to think and argue about, and that works too! Great job, Hardball Times!
on February 25, 2014
This book is certainly a resource that I would recommend to baseball fans, but I feel that it lacks the depth of other publications such as Baseball Prospectus. It certainly has interesting statistics and it is chock full of information, but there is a certain element that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me prefer BP to this book.
on January 10, 2015
It's the Hardball Times Annual so of course it's 5 stars. Kindle version is much appreciated. I have all the years.
on February 3, 2013
A thoughtful look at baseball from of the best minds. Analysis of all aspects of the game are inciteful. Look forward to it every year
on May 31, 2013
Well balanced and up to date. Whether your interests are on the personal side of baseball, the performance or in evaluating team management, this is invaluable.
on January 29, 2013
Liked what I read so far

Stat geeks will luv

Bill James rides again thru the next generation here

Way 2 go hardball timers

Daryl
on February 9, 2013
Great reading for the off season. Items on things not always considered as well as plain old good reading. Really enjoyed it and always order it.
on May 28, 2013
Great summary of the year. Fascinating studies of baseball looked at from a mathematical viewpoint. It was very well written.
on February 17, 2013
Good read. Lots of case studies about relevant contemporary topics in baseball. Provides an interesting prospective about the upcoming year.