Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on August 12, 2011
I am yet to read the whole book but to be fair I have read till page 470 and still have another 450 or so pages to finish reading this book. My review will be based on what I read till page 470.
This book will help you to learn unix plus it gives you historical perspective on it. It goes onto explain the history behind the use of the "return key" and why computers actually *do not* multitask. If that is not enough, there is a story (read funny) involved in explaining some of the things such as newline and return key. There are ton of other things that are explained in this book which involves humor and history.

This is my first unix book so I may be slightly biased but even then this book is worth for the history alone.

Overall, I found that if you know the history,it is easier to grasp and understand things rather than only reading them like facts. I will update after I finish reading this book.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on October 26, 2015
Very great book have to buy this book for my UNIX class and it is helping me a lot to learn.
on July 23, 2015
I had to purchase this book for a college class, which sometimes ends up feeling like a waste of money since I don't get to research and choose my own book. That is not the case with this book. The author does a very good job of explaining and providing examples. I will be using this book as a reference for years to come.
on November 11, 2017
Great Book for beginners. The author explanation is clear and thorough and easy to understand. I love it..Thanks
on January 9, 2017
I think this is a well written book. I have yet to read the whole thing yet, but so far I am satisfied completely.
on March 20, 2016
Very informative book
on March 5, 2016
Excellent
on August 3, 2015
Really good beginners book.
on February 21, 2014
Harley is funny and makes relevant comparisons. It's not an easy task considering Unix/Linux can be a pretty dry subject.
on June 1, 2011
The book is actually pretty good. The author adds his humor to the book which makes it easier to understand and fun to read.