Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Harmonica For Dummies (For Dummies Series) Paperback – November 3, 2014
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Back Cover
- Play right out of the box, with little or no experience
- Create exciting rhythms and make that wonderful wailing sound
- Bend notes like a pro
- Play along with harmonica songs online and hear the sound you’re going for
Make music with the harmonica using this fun and easy guide
Even if you’ve never gotten your hands on a harmonica, this easy-to-follow and friendly guide makes it possible—and easy—to start making those unmistakable, signature sounds straight out of the box. Packed with tips, tools, and instructions, Harmonica For Dummies will have you playing all kinds of musical styles on this instrument in a flash!
- Start your harmonica experience — find expert guidance on shopping for a harmonica, making your first sounds, finding the key of a song, and exploring rhythm basics
- Craft your skills — start playing chords and single notes, shape your sound with your throat and hands, enhance your notes with your tongue on the harp, and bend notes down and up
- Take position — discover how positions help your playing, develop flair and speed, master new songs, and start playing along with music to master your skills
- Find your style — whether it’s blues and rock, country tunes, or fiddlin’ the night away with folk and Celtic songs, discover the many musical styles you can play on the harmonica
- Put it all together — put your music out into the world with guidance on arranging and adding vocals to your tunes, working with a band, and amplifying your sound
Open the book and find:
- Guidance on counting time
- The scoop on relaxation, breathing, and rhythm
- Ways to combine chords and melodies
- Develop a repertoire of tunes
- The importance of practicing persistence
- The secrets of playing overblows and overdraws
- How to use effects to alter a harmonica’s sound
- Tips for maintaining and improving the performance of your harmonicas
About the Author
Winslow Yerxa is a widely known and respected harmonica player, teacher, and author. He has written, produced, and starred in many harmonica book and video projects. He provides private harmonica instruction worldwide and currently teaches at The California Jazz Conservatory in Berkeley, California.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Edit: The audio files can be found at http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Section/id-823267.html
Hope this helps someone else who couldn't find them!
Well, I decided right there what I was going to get him for a retirement gift. I got him a Hohner Marine Band harmonica and "Harmonica for Dummies." I had already purchased several titles in the "Dummies" series, including Photoshop, Digital SLR's, How to Write a Research Paper (I'm a retired English/Journalism teacher), Bicycling (that one I got as a gift). But they all had one thing in common. They were very thorough, lots of illustrations, and written at a level that the novice could comprehend. When I gleaned through the contents of this book, I knew this was going to be the ideal source to turn my friend into a musician. Maybe not a professional, but competent enough to entertain himself.
If you don't have someone who can actually teach you how to play the harmonica, this is the next best thing. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED