Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 695 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 936 reviews
I won't bother going in to the story of Harold and the Purple Crayon, as I'm certain almost anybody considering this purchase grew up with the book at one time or another.

However, I did want to offer this suggestion to everyone: spend the extra money on the hardcover edition.

I may have set my expectations a bit high, but since the paperback price was relatively expensive (costing 30 - 50% more than comparable paperbacks) and touted as the 50th Anniversary Edition, I thought it would be "nice". However, I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the construction quality.

Unless you're giving it to a teenager or adult as a keepsake type of gift, the paperback isn't going to stand up against an age-appropriate child, or to time itself. If I hadn't bought it as part of the 4-for-3 promotion, I'd almost certainly exchange it for the hardcover.
on May 19, 2016
The book entitled, Journey by Aaron Becker is basically the more adult version of this book. If your child likes this book as much as mine does then when he is too old for Harold, please do introduce him to "Journey". He will enjoy it equally. With that said; I'm sure all the other reviews have already said about as much as can possibly be said regarding this classic. Yes, it is a great book. Very creative story line and equally cute character. The artwork is simple and yet attention grabbing. I also think this book probably sparks a child's interest in learning to draw. Which is one of the reasons I really love it.
on October 2, 2008
I used to love reading this book to the kids, before the baby became a toddler (see below).

The drawings are clear. That little Harold is so darling -- all head and crayon and cuteness. The stories take Harold on adventures that always end safely at home in bed.

They are a fun way to imagine... what comes next? When we make up family stories, sometimes we try to find new directions to take a story, especially when one gets sidetracked (by silliness, grossness, etc. -- I have boys). These Harold stories do exactly the same thing: when Harold gets stuck, or nervous, or in danger, he just imagines his way out of it.

The books are very clever. The illustrations are basically line drawings, but they convey the story perfectly. I like this collection because it has 4 Harold stories together.

Anyway, my youngest went through a book-ripping phase about a year ago, so we put up all the books with pages and kept the board books down at his level. Somehow, Harold got misplaced. We got it out again this week, and to my joy, yesterday the 6-year old was reading it to the 3-year-old. They were laughing and giggling about the book, and I fell in love with the story all over again.

Awesome book.

***updated*** this book includes four stories:

Harold and the Purple Crayon
Harold's Fairy Tale
Harold's Trip to the Sky
Harold's Circus
on December 4, 2014
"Harold and the Purple Crayon" is charming and delightful. It takes about 10 minutes to read aloud and ends with Harold heading off to sleep. In short, it's a perfect bedtime story.

Harold is a kid with an imaginary purple crayon that enables him to draw whatever he needs or desires. The story starts with him wanting to take a walk in the moonlight, so he draws a path and a moon. Soon Harold is creating trees, sailboats, dragons, high-rise buildings, and many other figments from his imagination as he goes on an intricate adventure.

When Harold is hungry, he draws pies; when he's falling off a mountain, he creates a balloon that brings him safely to ground. The illustrations, in purple (duh!), are thick, crayon-like line drawings that are expressive and elegant in their simplicity.

More than anything, the story is about the power and joy of a life of the imagination. It's a book a child can hear over and over again that can become both a trusted friend and a comfortable entrance into the land of dreams.

So read it to a beloved child in your life. Or read it to the child in yourself.
on November 23, 2016
This was a book I read to my brothers when they were young. Rereading it now I was impressed with subtleties I had forgotten, such as when Harold "drew up the covers" of his bed. Harold is imaginative and resourceful. Just remind your young listeners not to actually try this out on your walls, like my young brother did...on our freshly painted house.
This short classic highlights quiet creativity. In "Harold and the Purple Crayon," Harold draws a world line by line, from beginning to end. Along the way, he expresses his adventures.

There's no mischief. No real stress. It is an easy bedtime story, but it is full of wonder. What world would your child draw?

The words and drawings are great for early readers, with plenty to discuss if you like. I fully recommend "Harold and the Purple Crayon" by Crockett Johnson.

Anthony Trendl
americanspeechwriter.com
on July 22, 2013
My husband and I are expecting our firsts (twins) and as I'm a teacher and he's a librarian, I thought it appropriate that his first Father's Day gift be a set of books he can share and enjoy with his own sons. Harold and his mighty imagination and that iconic purple crayon offer up the perfect bonding material, and the hardcover edition has a beautiful cover and nicely printed pages that will look great adorning the boys' bookshelf. Great story with simple language that covers the complex and intricate topic of imagination - a must read before being all grown up... And then a must read again in adulthood for that easy reminder of what it's like to be a kid.
on September 10, 2015
My mother used to read this to us when I was a little girl. Crockett Johnson has created a fun children's book that has spanned several generations with his Harold series. This particular story follows Harold on a journey with his purple crayon, looking to take an evening walk and trying to find his bedroom window. The story is adorable, and the illustrations are classic. My little girl absolutely loves this book!

This copy arrive in new condition, very quickly. I was very pleased with the value and timeliness of arrival. An absolutely great buy for parents with preschool age children.
on June 27, 2016
This was my favorite book as a child. Recently, I was invited to a baby shower where we were asked to bring a book in place of a card. I chose Harold because he teaches us that life is made of whatever we can dream up! I would recommend reading this book to your child.
on July 8, 2016
I have used this book in the past with toddlers, preschool and school age and love it because it moves right into an art project with the child's name and a purple crayon. And the children like hearing it over and over. I lost my copy and just had to have another.