Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 41 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on July 13, 2009
The Harrington cash game series makes an excellent addition to any poker player's library. Of course, players must realize that cash game play is not as dynamic or exciting as tournament play (the subject of Harrington's three volume hold em series). To profit in cash game play, you need to be patient, avoid serious mistakes and maximize value on each and every hand you play. There's no larger macro-tournament strategy to keep in mind: you simply play the cards that you're dealt and try to wring whatever value you can from your hands.

In a lot of ways cash game play is more basic than tournament play, though in practice you need a lot more skill to turn a consistent profit. Raw aggression can often compensate for a lack of subtle hand reading skills and value betting in tournament play; raw, untamed aggression in a cash game will get you felted.

Harrington knows his subject well, but he's not an expert cash game player. There have also been many books written on cash game play, starting with Doyle back in the late 70s. So there's not the groundbreaking effect we saw with Harrington's tournament books in these two volumes on cash game play: but as I said with Vol. 1, they're well-worth the price of admission. You can learn a lot about playing the turn and river for maximum value in Vol. 2 here, and that can make all the difference between a winning and losing session. This may not be a must-read, but you'd be hard-pressed to find too many other capable books on no limit hold em cash game play.

I'd also recommend Poker Tips that Pay: Expert Strategy Guide for Winning No Limit Texas Hold em for readers that are looking beyond the Harrington series, for additional hand-based poker strategies and techniques.
on November 4, 2012
I was very interested in getting both volumes, but I already reviewed the first one, so I will stick with the second one. I honestly think this is the better of the two, although I was a bit dissapointed, as I was hoping he would elaborate more on the Loose-Aggressive style. Granted, he did go into a good amount of detail with the loose-aggressive approach to the game, but I felt it was a bit lacking in elaboration. However, I do think this is the better of the two books, although you need both books to truely understand his version of the Tight-Aggressive mentality. I was debating on giving this a 4/5, but I felt a bit short-changed on the Loose-Aggressive part, which I wanted to learn quite a bit. I would recommend this book, but it's not one of my top favorites.
on June 30, 2017
Great
on July 7, 2017
This book has a lot of information, backed up with example after example. Plus expanded discussions of the reasoning behind the recommended actions. With appropriate study and practice, this book will help your game.
on February 16, 2017
They did it again with another fantastic book--I've read them all & have improved my game immeasurably, but I was pretty bad when the first book came out ;) Harrington & Robertie have truly left a legacy with this series!
on February 23, 2015
Dan steps it up in vol 2. It challenges the reader a bit more than volume1, which is good. But it was volume 1 that really changed my game for the better. Still love it though!
on December 5, 2014
Excellent book for beginners and experience players..your cash game will definitely improve if you put some dedication and practice the skills and knowledge gain from this excellent source.
on January 18, 2012
i read a lot of poker books this book is the foundation of making money at poker. Get this book whats great about this book compared to other poker books is the visualization. You get to see the full table 6 max or full ring and also the stack sizes and where everyone is seating and also what kind of players they are. This is how poker books be made more visualization then writing.
on January 30, 2010
Harrington uses tons of examples, likely scenarios for hands. He explains the thinking behind a lot of decisions. this book (set) is huge. I would recommend vol. I first (covers preflop and flop play) then vol II.(turn river).
Worth reading many times to really learn some of the methodology and randomizing he suggests. Anyone who can read this and follow the advice in a disciplined way, coupled with decent table observation skills and memory can really step their game up a notch.

(I have read a ton of poker books and VOL I and II would rank near or at the top)
on July 18, 2016
Excellent book,,, clearly written in the "Harrington" Style
Very good examples given on specific situations.