Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,782 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,387 reviews
on December 20, 2011
I do not give a hoot about the availability of digital copies, it is not something I use or care about since once a film is 10 or 12 years old it will be streaming all over the place on my subscription service anyway. For me blue ray is fine and having the standard DVD with it for now is nice if you still have devices that don't have blue ray drives on hand like I do. So all the issues people were having w/ Ultraviolet and digital rights/availability are not an issue for me and my rating is based on the film itself.

This is now one of my favorites of the Harry Potter films, perhaps the one I like the best of all. Well done! A really fitting end to this series, it doesn't disappoint, brings all the loose ends together neatly and retains the "epic adventure" aspect of the earlier films. Plus, it offers a more mature moral, ethical, and philosophical "message" in its content that is understated in the other films but rightly so. The characters are just now at adulthood where the depth of these issues becomes meaningful and realized.

After watching it I went back and watched Part 1 again. I was disappointed in Part 1 the first time around and did not find it up to par with the other films - thought it was dull, the plot dragged, and lacked the innovative and engaging aspects and little details of Rowling's "world" that the other films demonstrated. I have to say that Part I seems much much better to me after watching Part 2, especially given the culmination of the deeper messaging I just described in the above paragraph of this review.

Overall I have been really pleased with this series of films and found the end of the story to be well executed and satisfying despite that they are a children's story. But then again this was the original intent of Star Wars and Tolkien wrote the Hobbit initially for his own children.

Adult friends of mine suggested I read the Potter books and so I have started on the first, breezing through it of course. Rowling is no Tolkien, let me just say that. The story elements engage, but the writing is remarkably curt and pedestrian, even for a children's novel. I have been told this improves/becomes more age appropriate as one moves on through the books, though.

I must say I enjoy and am thoroughly entertained by the little world and characters Rowling has created and so enjoy the films immensely no doubt due to the high quality of the productions as far as script, direction, acting, costume, sets, and effects are concerned.

Top notch all the way around. I recommend the entire series if you enjoy the fantasy genre but struggle to find HIGH QUALITY production outside of the LOTR series.
on June 18, 2013
I was all for being against the Harry Potter stuff. Totally. But we had grandkids reading these books and I decided that it was time to see what all the hullabaloo was about.

What an eye-opener!

A very typical, normal boy with problems and adventures. Add a girl and a friend and have the makings of wonderful stuff.

Yes, this movie had to cut lots out of the books. Read the books first, then do the movies. And be cautious of introducing such material, as wonderful as it really is, do not expose too young, too immature, too sensitive a child too early. Risky.

And talk about it, discuss values and cause and effect.

While JoAnn Rawling may be too smart for herself, and her writing is sometimes just plain mundane (repeated use of "tears leaking from his eyes," but SHE IS A MASTERFUL STORY TELLER WITH FINE VALUES WHICH SHE IMPARTS. You have to give her a chance.

It will not change your values; it will authenticate them.

Nancy Morse

Nancy Morse
on December 23, 2012
I'm one of those late arrivals to the Harry Potter world. I never read any of J.K.Rowling books about the boy who lived. I didn't know anything about the wizarding world, or witches, or where Hogwarts was. I saw the first three films in the theaters, but skipped the rest. Now? Now, I love everything about the movies. A few months ago when Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 1 was released on DVD; I started a Harry Potter marathon from the beginning. I watched them all in order. Since then, I've watched all the DVDs, four times. That's 28 viewings of Harry Potter films all leading up to this. The epic conclusion to the most successful (critical and commercial) series in cinema history. Let me begin.

What I liked about the movie:
The Story

If this isn't obvious, I don't know what is. An orphan wizard, magic spells, and an unknown connection to an evil wizard named Volemort. The movie is easy to follow as a lot of the set up was done in earlier movies. This is a balls to the wall action epic. The final battle between Harry and the wizards against Voldemort and his army. You really must see the previous films to fully appreciate the conclusions in this film. The one thing that is important above all else... above all the explosions and magic and spells is simple... friendship. The story of three best friends and their journey to this epic conclusion is unmatched by any other film I've ever seen. THAT'S ultimately why these movies are so satisfying to so many people. I don't want to say too much more, if you were looking for a plot summary, this review is not the place.

Characters / Actors

As with any great story, there must be great characters. And for 10+ years, the world enjoyed these characters. Rowling has given the world so much. And what this film has been able to do is showcase them all.

I believe the supporting cast must be recognized. The marvelous Ralph Fiennes as the evil Lord Voldemort. Alan Rickman as the mysterious Snape. Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange. Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton as Lucious and Draco Malfoy. Matthew Lewis as Neville Longbottom. And the lovely Maggie Smith as Minerva McGonagall. There are many more. Maybe they weren't showcased for long periods of time, but every hero, every villain and every wizard in between is included in the story.

Then there are the three main characters, Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermoine (Emma Watson) who really shine. Their character development is key to the success of the film. They each go through a transition and grow as a character. It's amazing to think the producers have been able to keep all the same actors in tact for this epic series of films. The best scenes in the movie involve the three best friends. Like I've been saying all week... Harry, Ron and Hermione... I'll miss you.

The Score

The theme to Harry Potter was written back when the first film was released, by none other than John Williams. The same brilliant man that brought us the scores to Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Superman and so many more. Alexandre Desplat scored HP and TDH Part 1, so it is fitting that he has returned to score the finale. The score is beautiful. I actually purchased it yesterday and I am listening to it as I type this review.

The emotional weight of the score is vital to the story (you're going to read a lot about the emotional weight of the film in this review). The music alone tells the story. I was chatting with a friend about the film and told her I could discuss the score alone for hours. And I really could. The score was so impressive in relaying the emotion as well has elevating the action. It was was enough to put me on the edge of my seat, literally. And never forgetting the original theme created by Williams, it is weaved into this film as well. Bravo Mr. Desplat.

The Editing / Pacing / Tone

This is something that doesn't get a lot of recognition in Hollywood, but it is so important to a movie like this. If the editing and pacing is off, the entire movie crumbles. You know by now there is a lot of emotion and also action in the movie. How do you work those two together? The editing is key. Mark Day did an amazing job of keeping the film nice and neat. There is no deviating from the plan. For the most part, the film is told in chronological order, and there was a lot to cover. The tone was perfect as well. And I believe it is the marriage of cinematography, editing and score that sets the tone. Great all around!

The Director

Really, what the score, editing, pacing and tone all come down to is the work of David Yates. Yates has directed the last four Harry Potter films in the series. And there is a reason for that. He understood the material, he understood the world. The producers of the films understood Yates is a fantastic director. His work on this film proves you could have a huge Summer blockbuster, and still carry the emotional weight of a drama. It was perfectly balanced and Yates is the man to thank.

What I didn't like about the movie:
Length
Ironically, this is the shortest film in series. If only that wasn't the case. I understood Warner Brothers' motivation for splitting the two films in half. But in retrospect, I wouldn't have split the movies where Yates did. I would have included some of Part 1 in Part 2. Just my opinion. Maybe it's because I didn't want it to be over I was enjoying it so much!

The Verdict:
Amazing, what all Summer movies should be

We've come to expect explosions and special effects in our Summer movies. But what we are missing in most of those films is the emotional weight to make us care. I know I keep repeating myself, but this movie made us care. We felt invested in these characters and the final outcome of their stories. This all goes back to Rowling and her writing. Without her imagination, none of this comes true. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

While watching some of the special features, the producers refer to the films as a series, NOT a franchise. This is true; the movies are a series spanning 8 films to tell an overall story. It's not a franchise of unrelated events. So to see the 8th and final film combine so much was amazing. There are aspects and remnants of all the prior movies in this film.

It was difficult to say goodbye to all the amazing characters, but the beauty of cinema is this... great stories and great films stay with us, forever. Whether it's E.T. and Elliot's remarkable friendship, or Harry, Ron and Hermione causing trouble... we're reminded, through film, of what it was like to be a kid again. I sat next to a little boy at a sold out screening and was mesmerized by his reaction to the film. He laughed, he cried and he covered his eyes at times. But he was so engaged in the film, it was an awesome sight. Movies like Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 give me hope for the future of cinema.
on July 8, 2014
I thought they did a great job of turning the basic part of the books into a good set of movies and this wraped them up pretty darn nicely.
The music in these movies were awesome and I have the MP3's that I listen to more often than I probably should. The castings were spot on and at the end of this one all the feels are there. It was sad and awesome at the same time. At the end of this one I still wanted more movie, but I thought they we all to short.
Having read the books I knew all the little bits about the details that made looking at the scene's better, but I would still like to see more.
on November 20, 2011
Part of me thinks that this should have been the seventh movie . . . feeling like the studio milked the last book. They should have cut Part One down to about 30~45 minutes, and merged that remainder into the beginning of Part Two, then released the whole as a 2:30 or perhaps 3:00 hour movie and be done. Part One dragged on so badly I almost lost interest. Part Two is exciting, has great visuals and plot, and moves along at a pace that keeps me interested. The actual movie length is just at 2 hours. Add in about 10 minutes of credits and you get the 130 minute length as advertised.

Rating Part Two at five stars for the movie. I never rated Part One, but it would have been three stars at best because so little was accomplished during the time they took. Like I said, the studio really milked the last book for all they could -- knowing it was the end of a very successful series.

Noticing that hundreds of people have hopped onto this product review page to give it one star for the UltraViolet streaming digital copy included in the Multi-format package. While I personally could not care less for the digital copies of any movie, I certainly understand the anger about this issue.

1) It's a streaming form instead of a digital copy.
2) It does not match what was delivered with Part One, or any of the previous movies in the series. That means that anyone with a digital library of the movies that wants to watch the series offline . . . cannot. It breaks the collection.
3) It's STILL a digital copy that punishes legal customers but does zero to punish actual pirates. This last statement is unfortunately true of previous digital copy methods that use online registration based DRM.

When will the studios learn that to succeed at digital delivery they need to make it seamless and flawless for their paying customers?

Having said that, I still feel like 5 stars for this edition is deserved. I'm rating the quality of the movie, the Bluray disks and the packaging here. If I were to rate the digital copy, I would rate ALL digital copies a one because of their DRM. Not just UltraViolet . . . I don't and won't register online with my email address with every studio on the planet to activate any digital copy. Not now, not ever.

on February 7, 2016
The way JK Rowling wrote the end of this book and series was so perfect, so well-thought-out and so well-crafted that I can't imagine why the directors/writers wanted to change it. The last face-off between Harry and Voldemort was at dawn in the great hall with everyone watching. The sun was rising. Harry had just pulled off his cloak after throwing up a shield charm to protect Mrs. Weasley after she killed Bellatrix. Then Harry and Voldemort circle each other, talking. Harry makes sure he knows Snape betrayed him. He explains the complicated change of ownership of the Elder Wand, ending by saying that if the wand was paying attention, Harry is its master. Then they cast exactly one curse, and this is the most important part: Voldemort casts Avada Kedavra and Harry's is Expelliarmus, which just disarms his opponent. He was chastised early in the book for using it; it's an almost childish move -- the first thing taught in dueling lessons years ago. After all that has happened defeats Voldemort by having a few words with him and disarming him. Voldemort's curse backfires because his wand can't kill its master and he ends up killing himself; Harry doesn't even have to do it, nor does he ever have to utter the killing curse. I thought it a rather fitting and brilliant way to end things, but all of that was distorted and unclear in the movie ending. Other parts were embellished for effect. My final beef is, one of the most meaningful parts of the book is the relationship between Dumbledore and Harry, and, again, much as it was at the end of Order of the Phoenix movie, the conversation they have (this time in King's Cross station) is abbreviated or embellished or twisted around, and much of the heart and magic of it therefore excoriated. I didn't like it. You didn't even give us the scene in which he interacts with Dumbledore's portrait in the headmaster's office.

That said, the beginning of the book was great and the Gringott's scene was great; so much of it was really well done. But when an author writes something terribly perfect, why screw with it in the movie? I suppose JK Rowling trusted you on this, but perhaps that's only because she didn't realize how perfect her ending was.
on November 29, 2013
Of course I LOVE Harry Potter and could watch HP marathons all day, every day. However! I am frustrated they split this film into two parts. It is definitely not short of drama and excitement but unless you watch PT 1 immediately beforehand, this one lacks a good build up. Even compared to Part One, which really did feel like a complete story. And the end, with the Star Wars"esk" light saber effects it all just gets rather boring and unoriginal. I think too that they should have left the final scenes under the cloak of darkness rather than morning dawn. It also added to its anti-climatic disappointment.
on January 29, 2012
In order to get your UV copy, you have to do the following...

1) Sign up for a flixster account
2) Sign up for an ultraviolet account
3) Download Flixster Collections program to your computer
4) Attempt to download digital copy and get stuck when Flixster Collections freezes.
5) Contact customer support and argue with them until they give you an alternative way of getting your digital copy as they try to get you to repeat steps 1-4.

Right now I'm still stuck on step 5.

I would never buy another movie that has ultraviolet digity copy. Their motto is screw the paying customer cause this has no effect on the people that actually steal the movie.
on August 25, 2016
This and part 1 are a little dark for a children's story. having read all seven books in the series I realize this is true to form. But, and my children agree with this, it was not meant for children. The only way for the series and the movies to have been ok is if a child started reading the series at age 11 and read only one book a year and turned 18 while reading the last book or watching the last movie. Otherwise, I liked it as much as the rest. But being so veiled in greif, pain, despair, longing. hopelessness, ad nauseum, I could not give it top marks. Had the entire story been about adults and it broached this subject matter, I would have given it 5 stars.
on December 7, 2016
The movie, although it cannot follow the book exactly, does not disappoint. Magic, good vs. Evil, fantasy... the makings of great stories.