Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Luke Bryan PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 317 reviews(4 star). See all 2,312 reviews
on August 9, 2015
The Harry Potter series only improves with each movie, so it stands that this movie is only shadowed by the two-part final. The cinematography is paled by the Deathly Hallows incredible locale shots, but by this entry the actors have plateaued in the film series. The performances are strong throughout, which help convincingly set up the final twists and turns that lead to seventh movies end game.

We also see a significant maturity in both actors and characters, the latter thanks to the source material. This movie holds up as the strongest stand alone film in the series, despite the injustices of not viewing the series as an entirety.
on September 10, 2011
This was an impressive movie! So far my favorite-visually of the series. I've really enjoyed the HP films Yates has done. They're beautiful! I'm disappointed so many reviews declare their loathing of Yates as director. This leads me to question whether they understand what directors actually do... Anyway.

The book to me was rather slow paced and at times tedious (but still enjoyable). I felt the movie could be equally slow paced but I believe that was because of what they chose to add compared to what they got rid of:

Added:
-Cafe scene (aka: Harry is a player... not.)
-Too much Ron/humor time in the beginning (as much as I enjoyed both)
-Bellatrix and Death Eaters attacking the Burrow

Got rid of:
-Dursleys versus Dumbledore
-Snape and Harry's interactions
-Awesome Voldemort/Tom Riddle memories
-Ginny and Harry's relationship development
-Harry being a jerk about Malfoy (while he was correct, I was glad they made Harry's character less of a jerk, to put it nicely)
-Bill and Fleur (and Mrs. Weasley) (When Fleur and Mrs. Weasley make up at the end)
-The original Tom Riddle actor (from CoS) (although, understandable after so many years..)

These changes both helped the movie along and confused the heck out of everyone. I had finished the book about an hour before watching this movie, and I was still a bit unsure of the logic. I give this movie 4 stars, however, because of the quality of the cinematography, special effects, and acting. They did the best they could with condensing down a huge book into a (still relatively long) movie.
on April 18, 2012
As an avid Harry Potter fan (of both the movies and the books) "The Half-Blood Prince" is decidedly darker than its predecessors (let's face it---a lot of dark things are going on with Voldemort having the wizarding community in a stranglehold and Harry and Dumbledore trying desperately to find out what makes the Dark Lord tick) but it is an amazing piece of cinematography. I tire of individuals claiming a movie is not as well as a book-in this case, the movie would be roughly 10 hours long (although I would probably be one who would happily sit through a 10-hour Harry Potter flick). My only dislikes are simply a matter of what I envisioned when I read the book-the young Voldemort seen in the pensieve did not meet my mental pic (I had him looking like John F Kennedy Jr. or at least John Mayer) and I felt Snape should have been more involved in the movie instead of merely being on the outskirts until the very end. I love Alan Rickman's Snape and can't get enough of him. Other than that, the movie is suitably photographed in dark and ominous tones and the acting is wonderful (I love Ron's girlfriend Lavendar Brown).
on November 17, 2017
Bought for my Grand-Daughter who is a big Harry Potter Fan. A great addition to her collection !
on July 14, 2011
If you're a fan of J. K. Rowling's colossal book series then this is a no brainer. The special feature "A Year in Life of J. Rowling" would be worth the extra money spent. However this edition has so much to offer that even viewers who are not fans of the book will find this version appealing for its variety. The high definition picture and sound are amazing. The movie iself looks and sounds as good as it did in theaters. Also most of the special features are in HD as well. Did I say special features? This 2 disc set contains over six hours of special features too numerous to list. Movie lovers that are not necessarily fans of the series will be thrilled with the numerous insights into the film-makers' process.
For true fans the set contains a fifty page book, two Harry Potter series trading cards and a lenticular card(what used to be called holograms) front cover. This is one of the most thorough special editions I've seen. Everything included was of a fine quality and the film comes with the addition of a digital copy, this seems to be the status quo lately thanks to the ipod phenomenon, that can be downloaded to your computer and taken in on the go.
For the price, this set is amazing and leaves little to be desired. So if you have about eight free hours with nothing to do I would definitely recommend checking this one out.
on December 12, 2009
I've read every Harry Potter book in the series, and watched every movie. I've loved every movie (except for PoA, as I can't stand the directing and editing). We pre-ordered the single disc DVD (widescreen) edition, and I'm very pleased with it. I received it on the day of release. Amazon, as usual, was flawless in delivery.

Now, to get on to the movie. As I said before, I loved all of the books, and have loved all of the movies except for #3 (see above). David Yates does a good job handling the wealth of information from the book, although they did take a very liberal license in omitting certain parts of the book (such as Dumbledore's funeral), or flat out changing some parts of the book (such as Luna finding a paralyzed Potter on the train, instead of Tonks). Despite these minor annoyances, the acting is really good from all the characters (especially Alan Rickman in his brilliant interpretation of Snape).

Overall, the movie was very well done. I'm really glad that David Yates has stuck with the franchise, as each movie has been better.

If you are a Potter fan, you will get this movie. If you are on the fence and want a good fantasy movie to watch, then I would recommend getting this as well.
on February 5, 2010
I love Harry Potter. I am an adult HP freak.

This film is about average as far as the HP film series is concerned, better than Order of the Phoenix, but not up to the quality of Goblet of Fire or Prisoner of Azkaban. A lot of that has to do with the sometimes inexplicable writing and direction. Plot lines deviate from the book for no apparent reason, and others are created where the plot from the book would have been perfectly fine.

The young actors all do great to ok jobs. Bonnie Wright is especially wonderful in her portrayal of Ginny Weasley; although the budding romance between her and Harry is not developed as it is in the book, it's done sweetly and believably. Dan Radcliffe continues to grow as an actor, and there is no question that he is now capable of carrying a film. Emma Watson gives her best performance as Hermione Granger; she is excellent in the scene where she and Harry commiserate with each other about their unhappy love lives. Rupert Grint is adequate as Ron Weasley.

Technically the film is very good. it's the first one I've watched on Blu-ray, and it's quite enjoyable. I was told, before the Oscar nominations, that it would get a Cinematography nomination, and so it did. The music is ok, nothing special. Special effects are very good. One can only wish that, as I said, the direction and writing had been better.

I think that general audiences will love Half-Blood Prince, but that Harry Potter nerds like me will like it but wish it had remained truer to the book.
on May 2, 2017
not as good as the book
on July 28, 2017
It's a good movie
on September 10, 2016
This was great as well as all the others , my 7 year old has been allowed to watch up to 4 only up to this time due to as Harry grows older the plot does get a little darker. He handled it well and we continued to complete the whole series ( he did cry when Dumbledore died* spoiler alert )