Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,443 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 15,067 reviews
on August 28, 2016
I resisted reading this book for a long time, thinking that it would be 'too childish' to hold my interest. Then, one night back in 2007, I happened to be at my local Barnes & Noble during the midnight release party for Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, the last book in the series. Seeing the enthusiasm of all the fans gathered there (some of whom were in full costume) made me curious, so I wended my way through the crowd (in the process wondering what "The Sorting Hat" was all about) and approached the first free cashier I could find, the first book in my hands. I was suddenly eager to discover what all the fuss was about!

Well, as they say, the rest is history. I not only promptly devoured Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, but began acquiring, and also devouring, the sequels. I only stopped in the middle of the sixth book, when a very sad event made me unable to continue....but I hope to be able to go back and finish the series!

I picked up the first book the other day, and plunged into Harry's magical world once again. Once again, I was totally delighted and enthralled! Rowling's very fertile imagination seems to have no bounds; all the books in this series are full of magical events, as well as twists and turns, and one just never knows exactly what is going to happen next.

Rowling also has the uncanny ability to make her characters, as well as the magical world around them, seem so real! From the very first moment, the reader becomes immersed in this very quirky, wonderfully weird world, where nothing is as it seems, unexpected surprises await, and household chores can be accomplished by the mere wave of a wand (something I positively loved).

Harry, Hermione, and Ron are wonderful characters, and it's not the first time I have wished I had grown up with friends like them. It's great how well they mesh, too, especially since, at first, Harry and Ron constantly found Hermione so annoying.

Harry, of course, is the main hero. He starts out life with the odds stacked against him, what with his sad personal history, and "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named" wanting to kill him. In spite of it all, Harry remains courageous, and will not let his curiosity, innate optimism, and eagerness to learn magic be dampened by outward events.

Hermione could have been the main hero of this whole series, because she not only matches Harry (and her name is the female version of his) in all his great qualities, but is also willing to take that extra step to find out more. Books are very important to her, and I really liked her for that! She is also very thorough in her research, and has an excellent memory. Besides, she can really think on her feet.

As for Ron, he is that friend who remains steadfastly by your side, through thick and thin. He's funny, as well, and willing to attempt any adventure, despite his fears. Besides, he's an excellent chess player -- even beating his two friends at the game. In this first book, his chess-playing skills become extremely important in preventing a great catastrophe.

Then there's Hagrid....sweet, lovable, gentle Hagrid, who has a soft spot for creatures great and small, and loves Harry like a father, or perhaps a big, bumbling brother. He's pretty much like a giant teddy bear, and I SO wish I could hug him! He's had some rough times himself, but still remains as positive as he can possibly be. And, most important of all, Dumbledore, the Hogwarts Headmaster, trusts him completely.

Dumbledore is another of my favorite characters, but I won't say much about him because he plays a greater role later on in the series. What I did get to see of him, though, during both my first and second readings of this book, made me like him a great deal! He is definitely a father figure to Harry -- always wise, patient, and willing to give Harry the benefit of the doubt.

There were other great, more minor characters, as well, such as Professor McGonagall, who is really a very fair-minded person, despite her stern exterior, Quirrell, the stuttering professor, the funny Weasley clan, especially the mischievous twins, Fred and George, and Neville, poor, shy Neville, who is constantly losing his pet toad....

Then there's one character who is almost in a league by himself, and a rather hateful one, too: Severus Snape. Alan Rickman plays him superbly in all the movies. He gets the character's oily manner (his hair is even greasy) and incomprehensible attitude toward Harry just right. Rickman made it extremely easy for this reader to despise Snape! Even before I met him on the screen, though, Rowling had already succeeded in making me hate him.

Another character I love to hate is Draco Malfoy, Harry's personal nemesis. I'm surprised he isn't related to Snape, because he can be just as spiteful and horrible to Harry.

Amidst all of the typical boarding school activities and classes with such interesting names as "Potions", "Charms", "Transfiguration", and "Defense Against the Dark Arts", the three friends become very adept at amateur sleuthing, and uncover a secret at Hogwarts, one that students are not supposed to know about....

Of course, there had to be time for sports, as well, and I soon discovered that the magical world's version of soccer -- or is it a strange combination of soccer and basketball? -- with the delightfully odd name of "Quidditch", was not only great fun, but had elements of danger, as well, especially when a certain evil wizard nearly took one of the most important players out of the picture....

Rowling manages all the elements of her plot with great skill, leading her readers along the path toward the exciting, final discovery of the school's secret through tight writing, with not a word to spare.

I especially liked Dumbledore's final words to Harry. It was the power of love, he told the young wizard, that won the day. Some readers might criticize this as 'cheesy', but I thought it was altogether fitting to the story, considering Harry's background.

This is such a terrific story! No wonder it's loved the whole world over, by readers of all ages! This book definitely deserves all the praise it has garnered, and more. I know that I will want to read it many more times in the future! And of course, I will also want to watch the movie just as many times!
22 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2016
my daughter's first novel series. she's completely hooked, of course. She is a bit on the sensitive side, so before we started reading it to her (age 6), we explained there were going to be some scary parts, but that Harry would be ok. That helped a lot, as she hasn't complained about it being too scary. After finishing a book, we let her watch the movie version.
on November 23, 2015
Si, merece la pena comprar este libro bello. El libro es un tesoro. Amazing illustrations on thick, glossy paper make this a treasure of a book. There are many large full-page color illustrations and many small illustrations adorning almost every page. I have read the harry potter books many times, and these lovely illustrations are bringing the world to life all over again. Pricey, but completely worth it.
on June 9, 2007
When the first Harry Potter book went on sale, I purchased the softcover edition. I didn't know whether I would enjoy a "children's book" enough to buy the next one in the series. Once I opened the book, however, I hated to put it down when I had to stop reading. I have continued to pre-order the hardcover editions as soon as they were available, so to make a matching set, I recently purchased a harcover edition of "...The Sorceror's Stone." I am an old lady, 69 this year, a blogger and a self-published author of my own fantasy story. I love Rowling's writing, though I am sometimes surprised at how dark and dangerous the plot can become. But her readers are not to be coddled: bad things do happen, and they can't always be fixed by "magic." The first book in the Harry Potter series is a must-have, in my opinion, especially if you joined the readership late or have only seen the movies.
on May 16, 2016
Readily of the Harry Potters books as my grandson would let me. I'm not usually into fantasy with dragons and wizzardsbut I loved watching Harry and friends grow, I also liked the way Rowling used math, science, and astronomy in the characters. Great books I hope all kids and adults read at least once.
on July 11, 2001
After having read all four Harry Potter books three times each I am going through withdrawal. I wish I didn't have to wait a year or more for the next book so I bought the two schoolbooks. Of all the books I have read as an adult I have found some of the greatest reading joy in Harry Potter. Those of us who grew up as nerds, unathletic, and/or non-cliquey people will feel at home at Hogwarts. Those readers who haven't will still love reading these books. As each book unfolded I saw parallels between the Hogwarts world and the Star Wars films. Both promote a sense of a loner learning to thrive in a world where you are just a little bit (or maybe more than a little) different from everyone else. Harry is creative, intelligent, and interesting You will find yourself rooting him on as each book finds him confronting evil and I'm not going to spoil anything by saying any details! Don't skip these books because you consider yourself a "grown-up" and too adult to read them.
on July 4, 2017
every harry potter book is one more adventure. well- written. does not scurry through the book, but takes time to keep in order and place. you watch harry and his friends grow up andlive a magical adventure.
on January 4, 2010
I have been a reader of Harry Potter since I was in Junior High and now that I have followed Harry on his journey to the very end I still find myself rereading this book series every now and then.

The storytelling By JK Rowling is excellent for any reader seeking fun filled adventure By Harry and his schoolmates.

I have had most of these books in paperback and some of them in hardcover over the years and I find that books do wear and tear.

I have slowly started recollecting these books again but now all of then will be in hardcover instead of paperback.

I do hope someday I can read this to my children as a bedtime story and see the happiness that comes from them while listening to the story.

Any child or adult will love Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone!!
on August 30, 2000
OK. I admit to being a little behind the times. Although I had purchased all the Harry Potter books for my 10-year-old grandson, I hadn't had the chance to read them. Since my 80-year-old Mom wanted to read the books too, we decided to listen to the unabridged version during a recent trip to the Dakotas. We were both mesmerized! Jim Dale is a terrific narrator for the tapes, doing the different characters' voices so well you could hardly believe it was the same person doing all of them! From the Scottish accent of Mrs. McGonnigle to the Irish accent of the Centaurs to the Cockney accent of one major characters, all are so vivid! What a magical story! Mom and I both remarked several times on what an amazing imagination J.K. Rowling possesses to dream up such a tale. We also remarked on how we understood why Harry Potter has captured the attention and imagination of so many youngsters of every age. I can't recommend this one highly enough!
on July 19, 2000
If you are not a kid, don't worry, you will still enjoy this book and this book is still for you. Once you start this book it is very hard to put it down because after the first 20 or so pages you know that this story has what it takes to be a long and involving epic. Author J.K Rowling slowly unravels one mystery after another about our main character Harry Potter. Plus there are all sorts of wonderful and interesting characters that everyone will enjoy.
The themes in this book are good for kids and adults. For kids, it will relate to them because it illustrates what it's like to grow up and how hard it can be to fit in. For adults, there are slightly deeper themes, and it will remind you of being young again. But in any case this is a story for the young at heart.
Bottom line: Anyone with an imagination will fall into this story. And once you're finished, there are more Harry Potter Books waiting to pull you in. EXCELLENT.