Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Nothing More GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 112 reviews
on December 18, 2010
I recently purchased and having been enjoying thoroughly, the soundtracks to Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix and Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince.

As a professional musician and closet composer, I have to say I rate Nicholas Hooper's score a 5 out of 5. His music is original and yet well versed in the language of Post-Romanticism, in which movies are the most active medium for this style of classical music to dwell. That is not to say that his style is completely Post-Romantic, just that there are Post-Romantic elements utilized in his music and much of the movie scores we enjoy in movies today.

The score is evocative, the harmony changes smooth and unpedestrian and the themes beautifully capture each moment in the movie and the personalities of each character/s depicted. Additionally I enjoyed how the music was presented on the cd - as a continuous tone poem with very little or no space between the selections.

Some of my favorite themes are:

The Room of Requirement - 5th Movie
The Ministry of Magic - 5th Movie
Dumbledore's Farewell - 6th Movie
When Ginny Kissed Harry - 6th Movie

The Room of Requirement's opening chords are an homage to those who enjoy Ligeti. Yet, they are so original I would only say that they utilize Ligeti's structure. The sonic effect is Mr. Hooper's own.

The Ministry of Magic theme captures beautifully the hustle, bustle and inspirational atmosphere one would feel upon entering those magical halls. Yes, I am not a fan of minimalism, but I enjoy Mr. Hooper's use and then abandon of that structure to achieve the desired effect.

When Ginny Kissed Harry is so beautifully simple and yet made so poignant with the introduction of the Room of Requirement chord from the 5th soundtrack. It captures that gentle moment perfectly and never lets us forget about the magic that is constantly around the two characters and flowing through them.

Regarding the passacaglia that Mr. Hooper composed for Dumbledore's Farewell - the music is hauntingly simple and yet so beautifully complex. He brilliantly executes Purcell's ability to have a repeating basso continuo and add one painfully beautiful harmonic layer upon another so that you are weeping at the end and longing for more. The only downfall of the piece is that he had to end that it after a few minutes. As a movie composer, one is married to the director's storyboard - that is in no means a criticism of David Yates, 5 and 6 (and now 7.1 and 7.2's director), merely an observation of the structure of movie composition in general.

Segueing more into the structure of movie music composition and process - I was also immediately impressed how the director, David Yates, included Mr. Hooper in the very early stages of the movie's story boarding and filming process and was even able to play musical themes for the actors while they were rehearsing scenes. As a performer of opera and an actress that also sings, this is the ultimate experience - to have the music influence your interpretation of your character! I had never before heard of such a process and perhaps this is why I found the music and the story telling so seamlessly entwined with one another, unlike the other Harry Potter movies. I will add, that I felt this way before I knew the fact regarding Mr. Hooper's composing process with Mr. Yates.

In summary, Mr. Hooper utilizes the best in classical music styles with his own original voice to put forward a beautifully executed and seamless score to the 5th and 6th films. I was disappointed that he could not do the two films devoted to the 7th book. I hope that I will get to hear Mr. Hooper's compositions in the future and also in mediums outside of movie making where he would be allowed a bit more flexibility as in symphonic and operatic works.

Cheers and Best Regards - Tami Swartz
on February 14, 2015
I imagine a lot of people hoped that the very delightful and sort of upbeat themes that John Williams penned would continue, but anyone who has read the books knows the picture grows continually darker. So it is with the sound tracks of the movies. Nicholas Hooper does a wonderful job of conveying this darkness without overwhelming you with it. His music very nicely accompanies the mood of the film from beginning to end, and I like it enough to give it 5/5.
on July 18, 2016
Awesome, thanks!
on June 28, 2013
It is a different feel musically to most of the Potter scores. Probably because it is not done by Williams. Granted it is still massively out of order! There are some incidental/filler music tracks that do not do well on their own, but there are also plenty of tracks that do very well by themselves. This is a good score. The most notable tracks are: A Journey to Hogwarts (this contains the lovely theme playing in the background of the Harry & Sirius scene in the family tree room), and Death of Sirius (very intense, full of movement and drama, excellent!). ~ T
on May 29, 2016
Cd won't play in computer. Can't copy the CD to my computer so I can put them onto my iPod. But the CD will play on my DVD player! So helpful! Waste of money!
on March 4, 2013
for all you soundtrack lovers out there, this is one great cd to have. especially considering it is a harry potter cd, and i am currently working on collecting all the soundtracks for the harry potter series. this particular cd has some whimsical songs (professor umbridge) hat are just lovely, but theres also an frenzied and sad tone among the songs as well. get it, you will love it
on November 15, 2013
I love all the Potter movies and their soundtracks. This one, however, does not follow the scenes of the movies which is what I thought a soundtract does. It skips about. Umbridge before the dementors, etc.
on September 21, 2016
I love this soundtrack just as much as the other Harry Potter soundtracks
on October 13, 2014
Package came one day before expected delivery date which was great but the CD case was cracked when I received it. Maybe just a little bit more protection to create this issue from happening. Other than that I am satisfied.
on August 24, 2014
I love HP and this is a great way to celebrate the greatness of the movie. I mostly listen to this for long roadtrips and while doing homework.