Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Back to School

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 6, 2008 4:16:36 PM PDT
A. Bottom says:
What would series do you like more Harry Potter or Percy Jackson and the Olympians?

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2008 5:37:37 PM PDT
J. Tise says:
Percy Jackson and the Olympians no doubt about it. They are funny, creative, and refreshing. Harry Potter is good but not as good as good ol' Percy!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2008 1:36:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2008 1:37:25 PM PDT
R. Mendes says:
paercy jackson and the olympians is far better than harry potter in almost every way because of it's creativness , humor and their use of fantasy. The Harry Potter book arn't apealing to me

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2008 9:50:15 PM PDT
molly says:
Harry Potter, without a doubt. But the Percy Jackson books are *pretty* close with their worldbuilding, characters, and storylines. Still...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2008 3:05:24 PM PDT
I hate to say it, but... harry potter. Percy Jackson just doesn't quite match up... Percy continues in nearly the same happy go lucky pattern whereas harry evolves past his initial personality into someone more selfless and deep.. idk, percy just seems a bit shallow to me... true, he has his moments, but overall... seems kinda shallow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 5:24:04 PM PDT
I think this is a male vs female thing. I read both and I liked Harry up through the 4th book. I find Percy quite interesting because my grandson and his friends can't get enough. None feels that way about Harry. In fact, they had too much of Harry after the second book. Percy is terrific because he suffers but is never a victim. He is all action. In my unsceintific opinion, Percy is a boy's hero while Harry is a girl's hero.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 9:56:36 AM PDT
Harry Potter!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2008 7:19:03 AM PDT
Violet says:
percy jackson

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2008 11:16:33 AM PDT
M. Vail says:
percy jackson all the way!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2008 11:30:18 AM PDT
J. Rodencal says:
harry potter- the characters are so much more complex and i just love the series, i love harry and ron and sirius and fred and george and everyone! but if i need a laugh, i turn to percy jackson or diary of a wimpy kid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2008 12:52:01 PM PST
The Writer says:
Percy Jackson all the way! I would never read a Harry Potter book. He is nerd with a story no one could ever relate to, Percy's story at least has some humor and is a story that some could relate to when he's outside of half blood camp.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 1:55:58 PM PST
I'm sorry, but I don't think you are qualified to answer this question since you haven't actually read the Harry Potter series. There is a reason it is so wildly popular.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 1:57:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2008 2:06:47 PM PST
amberheart says:
Harry Potter rocks! I would have to say him, though it was hard since PJ is equally awesome.I think PJ books are small compared to HP. And Mike, HARRY POTTER IS NOT A FREAKIN NERD! Harry Potter is more complex with a ton more deaths.(I mean how many people actually DIED in PJ?NO ONE!Harry Potter has a lot of deathes at the end of the series.) I am 11 and read the 7th book when I was 10. In 2 days! Oh yeah. Harry Pooter took a week or two, while PJ took 1 or 2 days. That is a bad waste of money cuz they are so short. And I am a VERY avid. Reader.I would still have to say my fav series is Warriors all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But I still love Percy. Though he seems so perfect. being the sonaof a god and always being the hero. Come on people!This is the 21 century. You don't see people making PJ movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2009 11:40:21 PM PST
K. jacobs says:
umm. they are making a PJ movie...
and i would have to say harry potter. its more complex,and better characters.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009 12:05:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2009 12:06:40 PM PST
Nate Strauss says:
amberheart.........um ok i think we get it you like harry potter. actually i think your ubsessed. but that is totally ok. you like warriors. i met the author. she came to my school those books are pretty interesting. and they are making a PJ movie so i guess we DO see people making PJ movies.

oh and percy jackson all the way

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2009 7:09:49 PM PST
K. jacobs says:
just had to put in a second vote. HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER HARRY POTTER.
ummmmmmmmmmmm. sry about that... :)
harry potter is a classic.
percy jackson will be forgotten in a few years.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 8:19:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2009 8:20:15 PM PST
HephaestusTV says:
Ok, first of all, Harry potter really does get boring after like what? the 4th book? And I read the 7th book in a few HOURS. Second, the explanations in PJ actually make sense while HP has no real world basis. Third, if you actually have read book 4(yes, it is out) you will know that 2 of the main characters DIED! Fourth, this is the 21st century and people ARE making PJ movies. Frankly, Hp 7 felt like a total waste of my money: it built up all that tension for what? to have hp die and just talk to Dumbledore and decide to come back. And then, Voldy has a heart attack and dies.also rowling decided to compress the entire HP7 storyline into one book, which was WAAAAYYYYY to small for all that info, and I feel that ALOT of places could have been fleshed out.

Oh, before I forget,PERCY JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2009 8:22:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2009 8:23:10 PM PST
HephaestusTV says:
Ok, first of all, Harry potter really does get boring after like what? the 4th book? And I read the 7th book in a few HOURS. Second, the explanations in PJ actually make sense while HP has no real world basis. Third, if you actually have read book 4(yes, it is out) you will know that 2 of the main characters DIED! Fourth, this is the 21st century and people ARE making PJ movies. Frankly, Hp 7 felt like a total waste of my money: it built up all that tension for what? to have hp die and just talk to Dumbledore and decide to come back. And then, Voldy has a heart attack and dies.also rowling decided to compress the entire HP7 storyline into one book, which was WAAAAYYYYY to small for all that info, and I feel that ALOT of places could have been fleshed out.

Oh yeah before i forget, PERCY JAACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted on Feb 10, 2009 2:36:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2009 7:21:19 AM PST
K. jacobs says:
have to say again. HARRY POTTER
percy jackson is way to much of an easy read
compared to jk rowling riordan is a horrible writer
the characters are much better in harry potter
i cared what happened to those characters
i dont give a **** wat happens to the characters in percy jackson.
hary potter is much more 3 dimentinal

there is no plot to the percy jackson series if you realy look at it.

and hephaestustv YOUR COMPREHENTION IS HORRIBLE
and i dont get your point about the deaths of 2 characters.... way more than that have died in hp....
harry potter is more rooted in reality than pertcy jackson
both points COMPLETLY INVALID =)

HARRY POTTER

HARRY POTTER

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2009 11:59:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2009 3:21:30 PM PST
I have read both series, although I still haven't finished reading the Labyrinth, yet. IMHO, both are excellant series, but Harry Potter is better. The plots and characters of the Harry Potter books are a lot more complex. The odd number books (3, 5, & 7) are better than the even numbers.

The Percy Jackson books are exciting and fast paced, but the plot is very predictable: Percy attends a new school where he runs into some mythic monsters. He gets blamed for the destruction & has to run to camp. At camp there is a quest assigned where Percy may or may not be invited to attend -- but he goes anyway. Along the quest they run into some new mythic monsters due to some carelessnes on the part of one of the quest members. They also meet a few modern versions of Olympian gods who aren't supposed to help them, but they do. In the end, the solve the quest & gain respect of the Olympian gods.

These stories are fast paced, very exciting, and very enjoyable. The interaction with the Greek myths are fun. But the plots are standard & the characters are one dimensional.

Compare this to Harry Potter. My favorite book of the series is the Prisoner of Azkabhan. In this book, J.K. Rowling makes a very interesting comparison between fortune telling & time travel. i.e. How can you hope to accurately tell the future when you can't even accurately tell what happened in the past? This is a very nuanced plot, and she develops some unusual & interesting characters to tell this story (Sirius Black, Professor Trelawney & Buck beak.)

If you like Percy Jackson better, then pick up the Harry Potter books again in a few years. They get better with age.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2009 12:24:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2009 1:04:09 PM PST
HephaestusTV, your post makes no sense. You read book 7 in a few hours. Is this good or bad? Because all of the Percy Jackson books can be read in a few hours. Voldemort has a heart attack?? Maybe I read the Deathly Hallows wrong, but I don't believe that is correct. You missed it completely.

The correct answer is that Harry spent the time to understand wand lore (remember in the Sorceror's Stone-- "the wand chooses the wizard.") Harry understood this & he also understood that the elder wand would not attack him. Instead it rebounded against Voldermort.

Harry accepting his death is one of the great scenes in the Harry Potter books!! He asks the spectral images of his dead parents if it hurts. Tell me there is any scene like that in the Percy Jackson books. At the time he has no idea that he can choose to come back to life, so it is very real.

I will point out -- the Harry Potter books were written to grow up with the reader. i.e. If you are 11 when you read Sorcerer's Stone, then you will be 17 to enjoy the Deathly Hallows -- the Percy Jackson books are all written to the same level.

Posted on Mar 5, 2009 7:27:29 PM PST
Cesario says:
Harry Potter.

Posted on Mar 8, 2009 1:48:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2009 1:52:20 PM PDT
Asclepius says:
I've read all the HP books and the 4 books of PJ that are currently out. The fourth book of PJ was far better than the first three in my opinion, but that's not enough to compare to the seven incredible books of JK Rowling's. Harry Potter is filled with much more depth in all areas. One thing I love about the PJ books is that they are filled with action throughout the entire books. I just wish Riordon immersed the reader more. I have a strong feeling Riordon's last book will not let down, and that it will be the best of the series. I'm much looking forward it, and so is my brother.

But to compare the two and make a stand, I have to say:

Harry Potter !

Oh and I want to say that I agree with George I. Tay, "If you like Percy Jackson better, then pick up the Harry Potter books again in a few years. They get better with age."

Posted on Mar 28, 2009 6:09:35 AM PDT
D.B. says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 5:36:31 AM PDT
J. Lewis says:
I'll have to say PJ is better. I felt the character development was more realisitic because he didn't have to go throw the same thing over and over again. HP continuously has this drive to do things by himself even though, through what i can remember, he didn't do most things on his own. He is suppose to become a great wizard but i knowledge and capability hermoine is much better than him. His connection to the dark lord made him strong from the very beginning. Now yes I know, its not completely fair because PJ is a son of a god, but no one taught him how to use his powers he learned on his own. And he learns from his mistakes which is much more human in my opinion. I did wish the books were longer though.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  56
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  May 6, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about