Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 39 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 43 reviews
on June 3, 2014
I rated it at 5 stars because 5 stars means "I Love it" in Amazon's selection of things . I do love it. In fact I think it is better than my Sans Amp Bass DI which costs more. Don't get me wrong, the Sans Amp is still great. I just find this easier to dial in, it is durable and seems a bit more lively sounding than the previously mentioned preamp. The only down side is that it doesn't come with an AC power adapter. That isn't a problem for me since I have many power options on my pedal boards. This takes the standard negative polarity center like Boss pedals.

If you have been playing bass for a while, you know that no matter how good your bass rig is, you can make it better by putting a decent tone shaping booster in front of your amp...that being said............I am in my 50s and I play mostly guitar hero music like Robin Trower, SRV, Hendrix, Yes, Rush, and lots of blues and southern rock etc etc............. the fun old rock n roll stuff.

Like the Sans Amp, putting this in front of any bass amp only makes the bass sound better. You can easily get the live Chris Squier or Geddy Lee sound. The older style full deep bass bluesy rock sound is simple. The tone that I love to dial in is that old 3 piece rock band sound from years past. Think of Mel from Grand Funk Railroad or old James Gang in the Joe Walsh Days, Johnny winter, and the Cream........ that over driven cranked Ampeg or Fender tube bass amp sound that filled in exceptionally well in a 3 piece power band.

I am running this into an Ampeg Bass combo and I have run it directly to the front of house sound system and the sound is fabulous. Playing bass is a side gig for me since I am mainly a lead guitarist........ I let my bassist try it (he also uses a Sans Amp Bass DI at our gigs) and he immediately went online and purchased one.

He is another cool use for this pedal. If you are a guitarist, put it in front of your guitar amp. The punch and power that you add to your sound is incredible. Try it.
on December 30, 2013
I purchased this on accident because I was looking for a good clean Bass Boost for solos without adding a lower octave with my MXR M288...I went through the EHX LPB-1, EHX Mole and the MXR and the MXR M133 all of which gave me a grit (expected) but not enough of that SubBass sound I wanted...my last resort was the MXR108(10 Band Eq) which Hissed at me when ever I plugged it in and even with sub bands elevated and gain high still sounded bright and still hissing...so I found the Hartke VXL wasn't sure if it would work, but I had been through enough and figured if it didn't work id still have a DI box out of it.

I'll admit that when I first plugged it in I thought it was broken, it wasn't sounding at all, after most of my frustration was taken out on some very plush stuffed animals I realized the Gain control and the EQ are always on...That's my only disappointment with this pedal, but the Harke VXL tone shaper gives me so much control over my sound and gives me a clean Bass Boost for that Sub Octave...Well built, heavy duty, takes up a little to much space on my board though.

I used this to record at a local(Fresno, Ca) studio and the producer was blown away with the sound this pedal gives. Before recording he was trying to get me to go through his DIs with a parallel through my Ampeg SVT7Pro, but he was absolutely blown away with the sound this DI gives my passive bass while giving me the tube sound on both channels clean.

I have looked at other DI and Tone shapers such as the MXR M80 and the SansAmp Boost/Driver but through demos that don't compare to taste in sound. But do your research and shape your specific tone for your style...but I love the deep low end that shakes your eyes out of your sockets and forces people to loose bowel control
on September 24, 2013
My Carvin bass enables me to pull a knob and feed the output of the pickups directly to the output (bypassing the guitar's internal preamp). This is the way I am using the Hartke Pedal.

I was able to find settings that gave my bass more character. The difference is enough that I feel it is worth the $99. The pedal adds a small amount of noise (hiss) especially when some of the knobs are turned up.

I subtracted 1.5 stars for the following reasons:
(1) It contains no power supply.
(2) There is no volume knob that allows a person to equalize volume for pedal buttons. This is a significant design flaw in my opinion.
(3) Hartke support did not reply to my email.
on February 21, 2010
Bass effects are fun little diversions, until you find a good one. There are some that just can't be substituted. A good example of that is the QTron. If you have one (and use it) it is essential to get THAT sound. Personally, I don't use mine that often. Usually I play a down the middle mix of rock, blues, and soul ... all the classic tones. My main rig is an Ampeg SVT-2PRO with their 4 x 10 cab. It is about as tube gritty as they come. However, there is a certain flexibility that is missing. I want to be able to switch between that warm Jamerson tube fuzz on the soul and blues songs, to something a little more punchy for funk. The Attack pedal is PERFECT for this. It lets me dial in just what I want, and use the footswitches to turn the sounds on and off. With the two switches you get four sounds. It isn't going to give you wild distortion. It will, however, make it one click to go from a warm fat bluesy sound to a funky punch that are both worth the price of admission.

Enjoy !
on June 24, 2014
This was recommended to be by a sound engineer to be able to "dial in" the sound of my upright bass while running through the board. I had been carrying my amp, a preamp and lots of cables for each gig. This makes all of that unneeded. I am amazed at the flexibility and sound quality. Well worth the investment at twice the price.
on April 1, 2014
This is a great piece of gear. Dial in any tone imaginable. Easy to use but read the instructions, makes setup a breeze. Can't recommend this enough. I play a Rickenbacker 4003, Fender Precision, Fender Jazz. brings out the best tone in each bass.
Play them through a Hartke HA5500 Amp. Very quiet and recording quality clean.
on April 7, 2014
If I want to DI stright into the mix I can use this but I more often use it between the Bass and my Hartke Amp.
Gives me an adjustable or switchable A/B choice of a nice bold round and bouncey bass tone over what I'm
able to achieve from the controls on the Amp. Or you can do both at the same time. I use two tracks for
recording my bass. One a mic'd cabinet and a DI out of this VXL. Highly recommended!
on February 20, 2016
we play through a mixing board and my bass always sounded muddy, i was using a cheap di box so i thought to switch it out with this, what an improvement,well worth the money.
on April 20, 2015
Works perfectly, as advertized.
I use this as a DI, to record my 5 String bass.
I use a 5 String passive pickups bass with this.
And I have to say this is an excellent AMP emulator,
and very compact and easy to use.
on November 18, 2014
Might be my favorite pedal... Has certain controls that no other Pre-Amp offered that I could find. The controls consist of Bass, Treble, Volume, Shape and Brightness (Brite) of your bass tone, a distortion option, and a harmonics booster. I play primarily Alternative/Indie Rock music and this fits perfectly with my taste. Night and day when I hit that shape button.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.