Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Trivial Pursuit: 6th Edition
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Benjamin Leftwich Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on December 26, 2004
Sorry, but Volume 6 does NOT compare to the classic Genus and Genus II versions of this game. Rather, Volume 6 relies heavily on People Magazine-type trivia -- lots of inane pop culture-oriented questions, for which even die-hard trivia fans will be saying "Who cares?" An example of this is a question about Christina Ricci appearing in a GAP commercial. This was in the HISTORY category! Lame! About 40% of the questions seemed to fall into this category. Another 20-30% were ridiculously easy, a further 20% ridiculously obscure. The creators have also ditched the nuanced questioning style of the original game, by which one could often deduce the answer, even when it was something otherwise unknown.

I think the problem here is that TP is issuing too many versions in too short a period of time. Genus 5, which I DO like, came out fairly recently (I think), and I think TP needs to take some more time to write better questions. Part of the fun of TP has been that you learn from the questions you miss. With Volume 6, you just don't care.
22 comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2004
As a person who's rumored to have been playing Trivial Pursuit since she was six years old, I have to admit that version 6 of this game has to be one of the better ones to come along in years. Much like the first Genus edition, the questions have a great range in both subject matter and level of difficulty. However, a problem plagues Trivial Pursuit 6 that has plagued all other recent editions: NOT ENOUGH QUESTIONS. After about 5 full length games, I found myself and my companions repeating the questions! Trivial Pursuit 6 has about half the number of question cards that Genus I (from 1979) had. The new version 6 is great if you're a casual player who won't play it that often, but for any die-hard fans, this game is going to get really old really quickly.
0Comment| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TRIVIAL PURSUIT VOLUME 6 is one of the better regular editions of trivial pursuit to come along in several years (the last good regular edition was VOLUME 2). It's the same basic trivial pursuit game that has been played for the past 20 or so years, but with over 5,000 new questions. The categories are the same as in most of the Trivial Pursuit games: People & Places, Arts & Entertainment, History, Science & Nature, Sports & Leisure, and Wild Card. Also, there haven't been any major rule changes as far as I can tell.

Nevertheless, the game does have one major flaw. There is an overabundance of questions relying on popular culture that pop up (pardon the pun) in all of the categories, including the history and science & nature categories. I know that some of the early Trivial Pursuit games made for young people contained many pop culture references, but the original Trivial Pursuit games did not. One of the reasons that the history and science & nature cateogries used to be some of the most difficult categories to win at was because they didn't have any pop culture questions. That isn't the case with this edition.

Still, the game is a lot of fun to play and is a great way to study up on useless knowledge (something that I'm quite familiar with). By the way, what extract of the cinchona tree was once known as "Jesuit bark," for the missionaries who first brought it back to Europe? Anyone know?

A: quinine.
on November 26, 2010
What an awful disappointment. If you feel that a proper Science and Nature question is where Carrie Bradshow's computer is stored is up your alley...go for it. The questions are simplistic and out of a people magazine. The geography and history questions aren't globally orientated like the older versions. A poor excuse for a wonderful game.
on May 15, 2007
our dated, old, dark blue "genus" edition finally wore out, so we broke down and bought the new version 6. the content is completely updated, the questions are challenging but not impossible for 30-something, reasonably intelligent college grads, and we've been having a blast with it so far. they really did a nice job with this version.

we also purchased the 80's trivial pursuit version, which is wonderful if you were in your wonder years during that decade (otherwise, it's a little rough to get through - my parents, for example, didn't stand a chance on all of the 80's pop culture references. i, on the other hand, am a pop culture junkie, and found myself doing pretty well).
on September 18, 2004
I love quiz board games and Trivial Persuit is no exception! It is one of my Top 5 board games and I can play it with with my family and friends for hours and not get bored of it. The only problem is that the questions can get very hard and then it can become pretty boring. To solve this problem, me and my family and friends made some changes to the rules. (great rules to follow when playing this game with kids!):-

1. To make the game go quicker, we made a rule that you didnt have to land on the special pie piece space to be able to get a pie piece. Wherever you would land, if you got the answer right you would get a pie piece of that color.

2.The other rule we changed was that whoever was asking the question, when asking, had to see if the person they were asking the question to would or should know the answer. If not, then the question asker had to pick up another card. If after 2 cards, the question had always been difficult then the question on 3rd card is asked no matter what.

With these rules, the game is made much more enjoyable and easier for kids too old for Trivial Persuit Junior (which I recommend for kids 10 & below) but still not old enough for this trivial persuit. If you like this game, also try '20 Questions' & 'Taboo' which are also really fun!!!

*Note: This review was from a 12 year old's point of view.
on January 9, 2007
My adult children and I played this during our Christmas holiday get-together. It was so much fun just to sit around with no TV and enjoy time together with this game. We also learned some things from the game. In addition to this Trivial Pursuit, we have some other editions such as the Star Wars and Book Lovers' editions. This one, however, is more fun because it gives you more questions that are not just on one subject. I would make the choice of purchasing this game again. I think it would be good for any teenage or adult party get together.
on January 3, 2007
This edition of Trivial Pursuit has it's perks, but I still prefer the Millenium Edition over it. Lots of great new questions make this a great addition to any Trivial Pursuit fanatics collection. However, if you are just starting your relationship with the family of Trivial Pursuit games I would recommend finding the Millenium edition online, it'll be a little more fulfilling and make you feel smarter as well. All around not a bad game, quite fun to play in fact. 4 out of 5 stars...
on July 29, 2013
First my copy only came with 1 box of questions instead of two (from a reseller) but I did not expect it to be incomplete. Purchased for my parents (long time triva pursuit fans) and finally played it this summer. The questions were either extremely obscure or two obvious. Many were so poorly written that we had to give up on the questions. I doubt we will play these again, we will probably go back to the old version.
on September 26, 2005
The game is ok but I miss a little bit more of questions related on events beyond the US frontiers. To me it is too much focused on US events. That is the reason I have rated just with 3 stars the educational value.