Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,086 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,272 reviews
on August 26, 2016
 Words cannot describe how terrible this product is. Hasbro's not even phoning it in at this point. They sent a vague sketch off to China, and instructions that "it should kind of work, sometimes." Even those low expectations were not met. The board is not particularly straight, 2 or 3 of the hippos are warped 'up'; the necks extend but typically get stuck and do not retract. It's a complete and utter garbage product, and Hasbro should be ashamed of themselves.
on July 29, 2016
I bought this for my 4 year old son because I remember playing this game as a child. Unfortunately, they don't make things like they used to. The quality of this toy is incredibly poor.

The game itself is made of a cheap, thin plastic that easily bends when in use. The Hippos necks get consistently stuck in the "lunge" position and you need to stop the game to fix at least one Hippo during each round. In addition, the cheap, plastic marbles get stuck in the Hippos necks so they stop "eating" the marbles during the game unless you reach in and try to pry the marbles loose.

In order to set up the game you need to take each Hippo off of the bottom of the board and attach it to the top as everything is stored on the underside of the game. The effort that it takes to set up and store this game properly means that my 4 year old can't play it without my help. I can't imagine that the game will last much longer with any type of heavy use.
on November 21, 2016
What a piece of crap. You know those toys you see at the dollar store and think "what a piece of crap.. I wouldn't even waste a dollar"
Yeah thats this toy.
GARBAGE
The hippos get stuck to the point where the child CANNOT unlock the jaw from being clamped down. OR the whole hippo comes off the crappy board. Seriously its CRAP
on December 10, 2012
I don't usually write reviews, but I used to love this game and bought it for my 3 year old niece and nephew and i'm not at all happy with it. The game doesn't rest flat on the table/floor, the marbles get stuck in the hippos, and they're really light plastic balls, so they don't have the satisfying chunk that I remember from the old marbles. I'm going to throw this away as soon as the vintage game I bid on on ebay shows up.
88 comments| 205 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2016
This game used to be a blast back when it was a quality product. Now, like mouse trap, and elefun, it's such a cheap product that not only do they not work well but my daughter has not interest in playing them. Not because she doesn't like the idea of the game, but you can't play them very well because of the poor quality. The balls are cheap, the hippos get stuck, the board isn't flat. It's horrible. Wish I'd kept the one I had as a kid.
on June 17, 2017
I was EXTREMELY hesitant to buy this after reading even just a handful of reviews, but decided to take a chance since my 5 year-old has wanted this for years after playing it at a friend's. It all went together well, I was expecting it to be flimsier based on what I read, so was actually pleasantly surprised on its quality. We all played this for an entire evening and then the two kids- 5 and 8- kept playing with it for the rest of the weekend. And they were really rough on it, pounding on the hippos, launching the balls, etc. I finally had to put it away and while that process was more extensive than it should be, it all came apart just fine. I may be one of the few, but I'm really happy with it. Make sure you read the instructions, the necks lock intentionally for storage and if you overfill a ball reservoir you'll get one stuck up in the hippo's neck.
on August 24, 2015
Terrible/cheap product design. Game base does not sit flat on a table (marble compartment underneath sticks out, and makes the entire unit wobble). Should also come with anti-skid rubber pieces, which I will be adding myself. The hippo heads/necks lock up very frequently and gameplay is very frustrating, especially to small children. The only way to get the game back into the box is by removing the hippo pieces, which will inevitably breaks the plastic tabs used to hold the hippos to the game board.
on February 27, 2017
I absolutely dread when my grand children want to play with this game. It is so difficult to work with, put together, and take apart for storage. Two of the Hippos barely worked right when we got it. The marble store on the bottom and the Hippos do too, and they often get stuck. One of the clip things to snap them into place broke on one of the Hippos the first day. I can't wait until they forget about this game and I can throw it out. My grandson asked for it for Christmas, that is the only reason it is still here.
on March 10, 2017
This was an extremely cheap version compared to the older game. The game does not come assembled so once you put the hippos in place, the game no longer fits in the box and it's not very easy to snap them on and off, especially for children. This means my 5 year old wants to toss the entire thing in the toy box, losing all of the pieces.This would be so much nicer if the box actually fit the game.
on December 25, 2016
Hungry hungry hippos is a fun game, but its cheap, flimsy plastic, every single one of these hippos gets stuck, the handles are hard to push down. It definitely impedes game play when you're constantly having to fiddle with the handles and necks. I just gave this to my 4 year old son for Christmas and he's having fun at the moment, but this thing is junk. I predict it breaking irreparably within a few days. Such a disappointment
review image review image

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.