Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer STEM March Birthstone Shop Popular Services GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on July 5, 2011
This is a wonderful book. It has clear directions with good accompanying photographs for making felt, buckram, and straw hats of various kinds, plus explanations of several kinds of trimmings. I have found this and Classic Millinery Techniques by Albrizio, which covers dressmaker sewn hats and buckram techniques as well as trimmings, to be essentials for learning the art of milinery. Both have inspiring photographs of modern finished hats.
Addition: Two things I noticed about this book. One, apparently British hat blocks never have tie lines which all the brim blocks and some of the head blocks I have used do. Tie lines (grooves in the wood) makes life much easier as instead of all the pinning shown in this book, you use a cord with a slipknot and tighten it in the groove, pulling the felt or material to get it smooth. Two, this woman does everything by hand! You can use a sewing machine for many steps and save a lot of time, and most people will not know the difference.
on August 29, 2011
This book is excellent! The techniques for the felt hats are pretty much exactly what I learned in a millinery class that I took at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC. The designs are fresh twists on classic hats and there are definitely a good variety of hats to learn. There are photos of each step of the process for each hat, which helps visual learners like me. Sarah also explains all of the supplies that are needed as well as the different materials needed for making each hat. This is a great book for anyone looking to learn millinery in a modern format.
on February 11, 2012
Hats by Sarah Cant teaches you step by step how to make felt, straw and fabric hats and headpeices. Love this book. It shows you each step the author uses, each with a colorful picture, to make each peice. Lists all materials needed to make each headpeice or hat. All I need is a hat block now!! Great book, Id recommend this book to anyone interested in milinery techniques. Good quality book, all color pics, clear precise instructions and templates. 128 pages with glossary.
on April 8, 2013
I like how the books shows lots of colored pictures, and uses common language when setting up making a hat. Really the only down side to this book is HOW they make the hats. EVER SINGLE hat they make needs a hat block. hat blocks run about 170-ish dollars a block, and have to be made by professionals. I got this book because I am a novice millinery. I was so sad about it. The book is well done, but falls short in practicallity
55 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2014
I regret buying this book. It does not show you how to make a hat in couture way - she uses glue to stick the fabric to buckram?! You need to block the lightweight millinery canvas and then block the fabric and sew it together, not glue heavy buckram with fabric... I could not believe my eyes. I wonder why this lady runs her couture label when she does not have a clue how to do it. It only explains why she works at quite low standard design school... Also there are only couple hats to make - most of them are just slight alternation of the previous ones. Flowers made by her technique look quite awful and unfinished. Don't waste your money and time for reading it. And never follow the instruction. You will not learn the right way how to make handmade couture hats.
on July 29, 2015
This book is not what I expected. It is for miners (sp?). Too hard for me.

I gave it FOUR STARS, though, because it is a good book, and would be good for someone with a little experience, and the money to put into the equipment.
on March 3, 2014
Lovely book with lots of good illustrations. My only disappointment was I was hoping for a recipe for stretching the wool felt. There are few books out about this subject and it does cover a lot. I'd recomend it.

Karen MacMurray
author of "Historical Research for Novel Writers"
on March 29, 2013
This book is short but covers enough hat projects to get the knowledge one needs about hatm aking, to at least to acquire basic knowledge of hat making. The photos are really nice and the projects too.
on January 12, 2013
Recently, i became interested in hat making. I am a novice. I chose this book after the recommendations in amazon. I think it will be helpful during my hat making adventure. There are lots of hat making projects with detailed demonstrations. It is quite important for beginners who want to learn by themselves.
on February 17, 2013
I've never found a really comprehensive book that has so much eaisly followed instruction! T gives more instructions than the classes and gives you ideas of different styles.