Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Haunting - Seasons 1-4
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on January 19, 2010
My sister got this for my Dad for Christmas a few years ago for $10 at one of those Big Lots type places and because of the price I never borrowed it thinking it was low quality. I borrowed it one Halloween and wasn't disappointed, it is close to Unsolved Mysteries but each episode is just short of 50 min. It is in my Halloween rotation now.

The box and cases themselves are nothing special, it's a plain box with each disk in a slim case, but I sometimes think DVD seasons are a little too fancy and take up a little too much space. This is a 9 DVD set and for the size it takes up on a shelf it's great.

A few things that this set didn't do well on:

Video quality. It gets a little grainy at times, not as bad as some DVDs but you really notice it if you have a HDTV.

Chapter Markers. One advantage about DVDs is the ability to skip intros so after the first one you don't have to see the opening for every episode. Season 1, 2, and 3 had every episode as one chapter so if you hit skip then it went to the next episode. Season 4 got it correct and when you hit skip once it went right into the story, skipping the intro. I know some people don't care about this but when I watch TV I binge on it, watching a few DVDs or a few TV episodes on my Tivo device so skipping is important to me.

Overall I think the acting and locations were alright but I took off one star for quality and one star for chapter markers. I would still recommend it even with these small flaws.

EDIT: I want to add this is not the complete set, there are two movie length episodes that led to the production to these seasons. They are 'A HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT' and 'A HAUNTING IN GEORGIA'. One of them was made into a major motion picture so make sure you get the 'documentary' ones instead. They come as a double feature DVD on Amazon, only $9.99, I'm going to get that and see what it's like. I can't say much for them as I haven't watched them but I'm going to get them before next Halloween and update this review.
on September 18, 2012
was excited for this order to come in. The DVD's are fine and work well but when they advertise that they have the whole collection and they dont include the motherload episode that put them on the map, " A Haunting in Conneticut" i was a little dissapointed. The box the dvd comes in also is cheap compared to most tv series box sets very flimsy and is already breaking.
on April 11, 2010
I am most of the way through disk 5 of 9, and there have been some outstanding episodes and fewer than a handful of duds. However, if you are looking for real evidence of paranormal activity you'll not find it here. Nothing is presented outside of the re-enacted memories of the people supposedly involved. Although the stories often describe physical evidence such as audio and video recordings, spirit photographs, and such, absolutely none is shown independent of the dramatized stories. It makes little sense that these proofs would not have been maintained and available for this program.

In one particulat egregious example, the people determine that one of the spirits is s young girl buried in a basement. They begin to dig and reach some kind of slate covering underneath the wooden floor. They are tired and decide to continue the next day. When they return to the house, contractors have already installed new flooring. Yeah right! I hate it when people come unannounced and univited to my house and perform repairs I didn't request!

Still, it's a fun watch even if the stories themselves are hogwash.
on March 6, 2010
If you love horror stories- some of these are really great, but if you know someone who owns this it is better to borrow it!Some of the stories seem to be the same old thing, if you know what I mean!
on May 17, 2009
Wasn't nearly as creepy or scary as I was hoping for, especially after reading other reviews. The acting was a little cheesy.

I guess what is scary to some isn't always as scary to others. Of course, I may be somewhat desensitized to scary stuff as I am a huge horror fan and have been watching horror movies and such since I was 5 or so: I'm 29 now.