Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Have I already read this?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2007, 8:02:46 PM PDT
I own UNFINISHED TALES, and have read the story 'Narn I Hin Hurin'. So, what I want to know is, is this the same story as that. And if it is, where should I start reading to pick up where the 'Unfinished Tale' was left off?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007, 2:35:59 PM PST
H. Li says:
Basically the book has parts from both The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. But of course, it adds new scenes and dialogues.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007, 12:24:13 PM PST
I had already read both "The Silmarillion" and "Unfinished Tales" when I bought this book, and I felt like I had wasted my money. There's very little that's new in "The Children of Hurin", certainly not enough to justify the $20 price: it's basically a combination of the "Silmarillion"/"Unfinished Tales" versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007, 4:23:41 PM PST
Holly says:
Amanda--you make me angry, but I won't say anything.

Yes, this is roughly the same story as it is between The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. There is new material and stuff--I can't say how much since The Silmarillion was too hard of a read for me to tackle until just after this book came out, and I skipped this chapter. If you're not sure that it's worth your money, rent it at the library (you may have to wait for several holds to go through, though).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2008, 5:00:50 PM PST
Yes, there is some new material and information that was not published -- some parts are more detailed, and there are some additional scenes and dialogues as well. There is not a ton that is new, though, and the actual story itself is not changed. I can't tell you whether there are enough new details to interest you personally, though. Checking it out from the library is a good idea if you aren't sure.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Aug 14, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about