Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 209 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 417 reviews
on May 17, 2016
Fascinating. I more fully understand now that at least a lot of the slave labor- i.e. those who did not go immediately to the gas- must have been mainly just a means of torturing these Jews by those that hated them. Having a starved 13 year old girl and her starved, debilitated mother- and thousands more like her- working with a shovel on a hill side in Poland must have cost much more than the Reich benefited. The building and guarding and maintenance of the camps, the running of the trains, how much could any of this have aided the war effort? I think rather quite the opposite.

The other thing I have come to realize more than in the past is how much of this evil was accomplished not just by the Nazis, but by other counties that fully supported the extermination of the Jews. Think about it: the persecution starts in her home town (in Hungary?) years before the Nazis invade. Many of the cruelest camp guards were Hungarian, Lithuanian, Latvian and other non-Germans. This is also confirmed in another book I am reading, "The Good Old Days". The record is very clear: many, if not most, of the Jews who who were beaten to death or shot after digging their own graves were murdered by the people of the nations(such as Lithuania) Germany had just invaded, while the Germans just watched. And as the various town's citizens watched and cheered. It wasn't just the Germans. They had a lot of help with the slaughter of the Jews from the nations they invaded. But, this is a helpful book in educating about what happened.
on January 18, 2016
"I Have Lived a Thousand Years" was one of the most interesting and exhilarating books I have read in a long time. I decided to read this book for my English class in school based on reviews and it did not disappoint. The story is about a young teenage girl's journey through the Holocaust from being captured to surviving Auschwitz to being freed. The book is a true story as the author is the main character of the book. Everything from the plot to the details to the flow of the book kept me entertained and enthralled the whole time. Each time I picked up the book to read, it was nearly impossible to put it down. The most interesting part of the book, in my opinion, was learning about everything that happened from first-hand experience. Truly being able to see how cruel the Nazis were and how terrible the conditions were was eye-opening. Obviously, I knew it was bad, but not that bad. I rated this book four out of five stars because at some points it felt a bit rushed and a little more detail could have been added. Other than that, this book was extremely well written and I would suggest it to anyone that enjoys Holocaust stories or just a good book in general.
on March 19, 2014
I don't think any of us can fully understand what the Jews in Nazi Germany went through. This book tells the horrors of what Ellie Friedman's family went through during the last year of WWII. I was aware of these attrocities, but I was not aware of what they went through after they were liberated. It was like the world had come to an end during their imprisonment, and terrible things kept happening after they were freed. The attitudes of some of their so-called "good neighbors" who would not give them back their possessions when they got back to their devastated house. Windows were taken away from the houses, including the hinges. Human excrement piled on the floor in each room. Not all of the Germans were hateful to them on their return. Some brought food and clothing to share with them...those were the truly good Germans who were appalled at the treatment and murders of the Jews. I would absolutely recommend this book. It is always good to know the truth, and stories written by those who lived it are real eye-openers, and a warning that these things should never happen again.
on May 19, 2011
I read this book following a PBS special about a survivor of the Nazi Death Camps who had not only written a book about her horrific experience, but had also gone out to speak to high school students regarding her experiences. After the program, I knew I wanted to read her book. I also found myself wanting to read books by other survivors as I had an uncle who left Hungary before Hitler came into power and tried to get as many of his relatives as possible out before it was too late. This woman was Hungarian, which held special meaning to me because of my uncle. As familiar as I thought I was about the Holocaust, I am always surprised by the stories of the survivors of the different death camps, of the atrocities they were witness to and grateful that they will not be silenced, least history repeat itself or be forgotten, and we must never forget. I found myself unable to put her book down, wanting to know how she managed from day to day to survive when so many around her were dying. It tears at my heart, knowing that so many people in power knew of the different death camps yet chose to do nothing about them until they bombed some of the cremetoriums in 1945. I also wanted to know how she was able to adjust to any semblence of a normal life, having lived through what she had experienced. It is one of three books she has written, I believe, and it is well written, hard to put down, although I had to step away from it at times, due to the intensity. I will be reading her other works. I have journaled for 40 years as a way to work through past issues and keep track of my reality. I believe she is doing the same to help her to heal and I hope it does help her to heal, God bless her. If I had been taken to one of the death camps I wonder if I would have survived. I'm grateful I will never have to find out. I recommend this book for people who want to know more about what really happened during the Holocaust and are prepared to deal with the truth of what occured.
on September 22, 2015
This book has an amazing story to tell. It is well-written and easy to read. In my opinion, this is a book that everyone should read to get a deeper understanding of the Holocaust. Read it. Have your children read it. Then talk about it.
This book is one of the finest renditions of the utter horrible and terrible abuses that the German people perpetrated on a group of defenseless folks who did not deserve this treatment and the Germans will never live this done. How anyone survived is a mystery
on February 6, 2015
An amazing story told by the victims themselves and a miracle of a mother, daughter and some of their cousins escaping death in auswitz
My belief in religion faded away because of the holocast because one thinks how God let this horrific things happen, I was surprised and at the same time did not know how to even react when I read that the main character and others went through so much as to eating 2 mini meals a day which included a soup with live worms in it and 2 small pieces of bread for the whole day,not to mention the hard labor the brutal beating,the witnessing of horrific crime in front of them and still the characters mother was lighting shabbath candles and followed jewish faith and holidays inside the camp.
on March 29, 2016
I have read many books on the holocaust but this is the first book I have read that was written by a survivor. What this woman went through as a child was very very sad. I cannot even wrap My mind around the memories and night mares She must have. This is a must read for any student of this awful time in history. May it never happen again. To anyone!
on October 27, 2009
This young-adult book is not the first Holocaust memoir I've read, but it is perhaps the most brilliant. Not an easy read, of course, none of them are. I had to put it down several times and go off and do something else to forestall an overdose of grief and anger.

Especially affecting is the fact that she was but thirteen when her family was shipped to Auschwitz. Only the infamous Dr. Mengele saved her from the gas, telling her to lie that she was sixteen, and only because his racist mind doted on her blond hair and blue-green eyes. He'd apparently never seen a Jew who looked Aryan.

All the pertinent details of the camps are revealed, slowly in dramatic fashion, the recreated scenes and dialogue becoming more historical fiction than a recitation of actual events. Her story of strength and survival in the face of so much cruelty and heartbreak is inspiring. Some of us really can survive almost anything. But, in the end, she was left with much pain to work through:

"My friends, my family, all those achingly dear to me, my entire world, rose up in smoke, vanished."

Her dedication is especially touching: "...to the children in Israel who, unsung and unacclaimed, risk their lives every day just by traveling to school...the only guarantee that a Holocaust will never happen again."
on August 27, 2015
If you want to learn more about what the Jews suffered during the war, this book is great for you. It made me realize some things I didn't know- just how did the German people allow all of this to go on? This books lets you know just how it was easy because I don't think they knew what was happening to them. It makes you really appreciate what you have and the blessings we often take for granted. Excellent choice to read for those wanting to know more about what happened to these people.