Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Have Your Cake and Vegan Too: 50 Dazzling and Delicious Cake Creations
Format: Paperback|Change

on April 23, 2011
So, I got the cookbook yesterday and also someone gave me a slow cooker (ie. crockpot). I thumbed through the book and found that there were cake recipes for slow cookers. Intrigued, I decided to make the "Slow as Apple Pie Cake". Now, I am a chocolate person and any chocolate cake would be good for me...so I made the apple cake..and WOW! It was amazing! Simply delicious and I love how the author's recipes are so outside the box.....
The book is beautiful with glossy pages and full size color pictures for every recipe. I can't wait to bake more of her recipes. I highly recommend this book. It is really neat (and as a side note, I have her first book as well--which I love, but always felt needed photos. This one is just perfect!!!)
on August 11, 2013
I got this book out of the library because I like finding new ways of cooking/baking vegan. Most of the cookbooks out there have some good recipes, but they also have their share of bad recipes. This was not one of them! Every single recipe we have tried so far has been absolutely delicious (and nice looking too, which is something usually evades me). I told a friend recently about this book and now she is addicted to it.

I don't know what makes this author different from other author's of vegan cooking/baking, but I do know that I don't have to worry about my when I bake something from it that it won't turn out good. I hope the author puts out more cookbooks too (perhaps with a theme that isn't so fattening).
on March 28, 2013
Living at high altitude, 5,280 ft, caused me brain damage trying to adjust cake recipes from other books. I have made the white and chocolate. No need to adjust these and they still turn out moist and delicious! Before finding "Have Your Cake and Vegan Too" I have thrown out many cakes for being too dry. These disappear too...by mouth not trash can ;-)

I have a grandson that will not eat something if you mention "vegan"...he loved these! My granddaughter used the chocolate cake recipe for the class she took at Michael's on cake decorating with fondant and they worked beautifully.
on January 16, 2015
Bought this as a gift for a friend. She really liked it. The pictures are very nice and there are a lot of recipes in there for the beginning baker. One problem that I always had making vegan box cake mixes was that they always came out very dense and almost pasty, although I've learned some tricks as on how to fix this, nothing beats a fresh homemade cake. This book has so many basic cake recipes that are simple and beautifully illustrated.
on April 27, 2011
This is a great book especially for people like me who are cake baking challenged.
I'm not very good at decorating cakes so rarely make them - but I've really enjoyed this book.
Many of the cakes are nice enough to be served as is or with a simple topping.

There are lots of pictures and the instructions are clear so you will have great results.
I also recommend reading the information in the introduction - lots of great tips there.

There is a wide variety of cakes and flavors - so it's hard to say which I like the best.
Amy's Huh What Peach Cake with raspberry creme is an amazing combination of flavors, as is the Cardamon Cashew cake, Anise Orange Cake and the Snickerdoodle Cake. I haven't found any that I don't like or don't want to make.

Following up on her first book - with recipes for EZ bake ovens - this time there are recipes for cakes in slow cookers and rice cookers - a fantastic idea for when it's too hot to bake.

I also appreciate that almost all of the cakes can be made with ingredients that you already have - the most exotic I've found so far is matcha powder.
on March 20, 2014
I have tried two recipes from this book so far. They have been by far the best vegan cakes I have made. Easy to make, no fancy ingredients, and they have turned out fantastic. I can't wait to try many of the other recipes in this book - they all look wonderful!!
on February 28, 2017
I've been baking out of it ever since I got it - for my Vegan Daughter-in-law -- and all the cakes have been Scrumptious !! Love, Love that each recipe has a picture .....:)

Betty
on June 24, 2011
This is a must-have cookbook. There are varying levels of difficulty and cakes for all occasions. I have been vegan for about a year, but vegetarian before that for about 6 years. Even when I was "just" vegetarian, I did vegan baking almost exclusively. My husband and stepkids are vegetarian but the rest of our families are hearty omnivores. I mention this because whenever I host a family gathering I bake vegan, and if we go to another relatives house I now bring my own vegan treat. I have now converted my extended family to vegan baking! On one of the last birthday parties, one of the biggest meat-eaters of the family excitedly asked if I had made one of the cakes from this book again (I had not, I was making vegan beignets). I used to make "regular" cakes for most of the group and some vegan baking for myself and anyone who liked it and now I only bake vegan as it seems my family prefers that! I was a very experienced baker before, so I would like to think it is not because of the taste that they stopped eating my "regular" baking ;-)

Anyway, this is a great book to have (I would also suggest "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World) by Isa & Terry (or really any of their cookbooks) and there are some recipes that can be made in a rice cooker in a short time - I will be making one myself tonight!
on April 21, 2011
This is a really beautiful cookbook with lots of wonderful pictures. I have only made 2 of the recipes so far and all I can say is YUM! I made the pineapple upside down cake and the butter cream frosting and snicker doodle cake. Both cakes were so moist and like heaven in my mouth. My husband and kids loved them! I shared the pineapple upside down cake with the neighbors that are in love with Paula Deen.....they loved it too! I can't wait to make more this weekend. There is advice and recipes for gluten free cakes, egg and dairy replacement and pantry staples for baking. Also, a nice section on trouble shooting any problems and a section on cake decorating.
I prefer to use almond milk in the recipes because soy milk in the past has made my cakes turn out more like a muffin consistency.
on March 12, 2013
Love the gorgeous, inspiring photos. Having made 2 recipes from this book already (lemon/poppy seed and apple/cinammon cakes) I would recommend halving the sugar content if you don't have a super-sweet tooth. I like the recipes for slow-cooker and rice cooker cakes, but wish the author would have advised whether it is possible to alter the recipes or cooking times if one doesn't have one or the other!