Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Have they fixed the A.I. issues?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2012 2:19:44 PM PDT
I haven't played Civ V in over a year. I was wondering if patches or this expansion have resolved the A.I.'s weird, bipolar behavior. That was the one issue that irked me about the game.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 12:47:19 AM PDT
They did enhance the AI quite a bit - I tried playing my pre-expansion strat and quickly realized that the AI was catching on to me... I love the changes!

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 3:18:19 PM PDT
John says:
No they haven't. If anything, it's worse.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 10:57:31 PM PDT
You have to be pretty blind not see the positive changes to the AI. Diplomacy specifically has been beefed up significantly and while the tactical AI is far from stellar, it's a huge improvement over vanilla.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 8:58:43 PM PDT
A. Redmon says:
Try as I might, I failed to see a significant enhancement to the strategic AI, and an even less challenging tactical AI.

For example, the AI is absolutely terrible at conducting warfare, strategically and tactically. On several occasions I was surprise attacked by armies of units that stood no match for my basic defenses (mohawk warriors against castled cities with artillery or knights against great war infantry). Once the AI had lost the majority of its units, it sued for peace with all its gold, luxuries, and resources. This happened several times, across different games and opponents. This was on or above emperor difficulty as well.

When an opponent did attack my cities with units capable of capturing them, more often than not, they completely blew their opportunities with ridiculous moves or premature surrender.

It also appears that AI does not compete on the same grounds as the player, much like Civ 5. In order to keep the game somewhat challenging, the AI is not made smarter, but is simply given advantages (read: it cheats).

Though perhaps, I may be "pretty blind" as I am disagreeing with the post above me - that, or I'm not affiliated with the publisher/developers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2012 5:16:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 8, 2012 5:18:30 PM PDT
I wonder if we are playing the same expansion here. Where in vanilla the AI attacked with archers first, now it arranges them properly - melee units, then ranged, siege out in the back. Where in vanilla the AI paraded around with its catapults, now it actually tries to protect them. Where in vanilla it threw all its units at you, now it actually keeps a considerable army back home to defend. Where in vanilla the AI barely built any ships, now it's capable of staging some very big naval invasions. Where in vanilla it never retreated troops to heal, now it does so.

It's far from perfect and every now and then it would make something pretty stupid, like leaving a GG out in the open, running around your border with an unprotected worker or shuffling units around instead of attacking your undefended city, but to say that there hasn't been a considerable improvement is indeed somewhere along the lines of being blind. Or of course not having played enough to take notice.

And suggesting that someone who did notice these change is in any way affiliated with 2K or Firaxis is very childish. It's a stupid and tired argument that we both know is basically never true. I live 6000 km away from Firaxis for Christ's sake, look at my name (?!) I like the expansion, so I must be in cahoots with the developer? Really? I mean, really?!

If you don't believe me (since I work for Firaxis), there are plenty of testimonies around the net, including on one of the most prominent Civ fan sites: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11588837&langid=1 Or maybe all the CFC members who say the AI has taken a step forward are working for Firaxis as well? An international conspiracy of some sort?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 9:13:21 PM PDT
A. Redmon says:
I'm sorry, I should be calling people "pretty blind" - that's not childish.

I respect your opinion about the expansion, but I disagree with it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jun 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about