Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on January 11, 2017
This is such a great book for all women to read.. Many of us fall under the same patterns that Martha did, but in this world the Lord calls us to be more like Mary, sitting at the throne and allowing Him to pour into us and love us and mold us. I recommend this to any woman who is constantly on the go and feels the need to always be busy to feel validated; I know this is me many times.
on June 11, 2017
This book is more than a guide to "Finding Intimacy With God in the Busyness of Life." I'd call it "A Woman's Introduction to Christian Living and Spiritual Disciplines." It covers the spiritual disciplines of Bible study, hospitality, prayer, and several others. At times, the analogies seemed a bit forced, and the messages are repeated over and over. But sometimes, I think we need that repetition to get things through our thick (or just tired) minds. I picked up Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy With God in the Busyness of Life during a time when I was completely overwhelmed, but I didn't read it until a time when I was free from care. It's sad that when we're swamped, we feel like we lack the bandwidth to do what our souls really need.
on October 29, 2017
Buying this book is, without a doubt, one of the very best books I have ever purchased. Just think about it, MY name is Martha and I'm depicted perfectly throughout, with our Lord speaking and teaching ME. This is the real world, sisters, take a look at yourself and I'm sure you will see, MARTHA. It is so difficult to manage our own self in this troubled SCARY world, so, please right now treat yourself to Having a Mary Heart in a Martha WORLD. I treasure every word; you will not stop until you've read every spirit filled word.
on June 26, 2017
This is a great book and will definitely lead to some life changes if you take it to heart. The author does an excellent job of taking you through her own personal journey. Doing so includes the reader and allows the reader to relate to her story and well as your own story. No wonder it is considered a best seller! I will be teaching from this book in an entire weeklong class (in a few weeks) and I can't wait!!! Great spiritual material with a well thought out message.
on November 16, 2017
Wonderful book and study. It's great insight and application to real life, amazing. Joanna is a inspiration and her writing style is captivating. Her Bible scripture knowledge is impressive. Each chapter made me think and the study was so good. We just finished this with a dozen women, study, video and book, great combo for growth.
on September 13, 2010
The story of Mary and Martha has always fascinated me. For years, I have been a Martha. Always worrying about getting things "fixed", or getting caught up in how "I" could make things better for someone.
My son and his wife decided to separate, and then spent months snatching their infant son back and forth between them. I called on friends, cried, screamed, and spent hours hatching different plans to "help" the baby. I prayed and begged God to "fix it" for me, then trudged onward, heart aching with pain and sorrow, refusing to let go and hand them all to God.
Last week I finally bought this ebook, and oh what a difference in how I see things!
My son's family is still in turmoil, but I took myself out of this picture and sat down to listen to Jesus. With simple, yet heart touching words, Ms. Weaver helped me see that I am not able to do and be everything. I needed to get closer to my Savior and trust Him to handle the things that were bringing me close to despair.
This book will be kept and read frequently, as I do not ever want to forget Who is in control of my life.
If you feel like life is overwhelming, with no time for everything on your schedule, and no time for quiet communication with the Lord, then I highly suggest this book.
Living Room Intimacy versus Kitchen Service (in the words of the author), two opposite ends of the continuum of our relationship with God. God calls us to have both, yet the majority of us are unbalanced towards one direction or the other. This is the exact topic Joanna Weaver addresses in Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.

Weaver does an excellent job of exploring the good friends of Jesus, Mary and Martha, anticipating their personalities from the stories the Bible gives us about this family. She proposes to the reader each of these women's path of maturity towards a balance between service and worship through the progression of their Biblical accounts. It is easy to walk away from this book identifying with each of these women.

The author gives plenty of practical advise on evaluating one's balance of intimacy with God and service to others, as well as symptoms of imbalance in either direction. She offers many of her own ideas in achieving this balance as well as recommending many appropriate and applicable resources.

Weaver communicates on a personal level, achieving quite a rapport with her reader by the end of the book. This book is very appropriate for a women's discussion group and includes a chapter-by-chapter study guide to facilitate discussion. I do recommend this book to women wishing to deepen their intimacy with God, while at the same time serving others as Christ modeled.
on March 20, 2018
This book was very timely for me. I was led to it when I struggled with the very issue the author wrote about. I love the references also and got two new books in my catalogue (My Heart, Christ's Home and Practicing the Presence of God). It isn't a book of ideas but is a book of relatable experiences in all our walks with the Lord and how we can move past them to greater intimacy with Him
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 21, 2015
"Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" is a wonderful book to read alone or with a group study. There is a very good DVD study and study guide that accompanies this book if desired. Joanna Weaver does a great job showing how the busyness of the world around us can pull us away from truly being in God's presence, even if it seems we are doing things we think will please Him. She states, "When we put work before worship, we put the cart before the horse," and "When we first spend time in His presence--when we take time to hear His voice--God provides the horsepower we need to pull the heaviest load." We all need to choose the better part and spend time out of the kitchen and in the living room, sitting at the feet of Jesus.
on January 17, 2005
FOCUS,RENEWAL,MAINTENANCE...BALANCE. When I first read this book, I was expecting her to tell me how to continue trying to do it all. Tell me how to do more in 24 ours AND be happy, not worried or critical of myself and others. Instead of telling how to do MORE, it's about doing less. It's about focusing on the primary things in a Christian's life: genuine time with God. Ok, I need to do that, WHEN I get the other things checked off of my to do list. The author reminds us that God should be the first person we speak to in the morning regardless of our titles or responsibilities. Unlike other books for busy parents, it does not psychoanalize us or justify how our past made us like this. Those books seem to keep me on the pity potty. This book is different. Get up. Wipe your tears, rather let Jesus do it via contact with him through prayer and reading the Bible. It's about pruning our lives. Giving up what causes us to be in a rat race or at least cleansing our perspective of SUCCESS. Simplify, slow down, meditate, read, and obey are overall themes that resonate in my mind and heart. Thanks you Joanna Weaver for writing this.