Hawke's Special Forces Survival Handbook
|Price:||$11.76 FREE Shipping on orders with at least $25 of books.|
|You Save:||$3.24 (22%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Stay alive and keep others alive
- Many hand drawn sketches and illustrations
- Shelter and water
- Food and fire
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I've purchased three books on wilderness medicine (Auerbach, Forgey and Wilkerson) and two on outdoor survival methods (Cody Lundin, John Wiseman) in the last year. They are rated highly on Amazon; all have good information. However, Hawke's full edition is a Merck Manual, if you will, on outdoor survival. It's more comprehensive than any other survival book I own. This version, while eliminating a LOT from the full edition, is small enough to take with you. It's the one I take camping.
If I could buy only one book on survival, it would be Hawke's full edition. If I could buy two, I would add this one. The guy knows his stuff.
I purchased the "Kindle" edition (love Kindle) - and I just completed reading the whole book.
It was an enjoyable reading and learning experience. Having read the book - I feel like I am WAY more prepared for survival in any climate or situation that I was prior to simply reading the book. The information and insights are so straight forward and practical - usually these books have so much information to digest its overwhelming.
This is truly a "Handbook" - and I think he's written a "Bible/Encyclopedia" version prior to this one. I hope they make it available on "Kindle" because - I carry with Kindle with me all the time, I'm not going to have a "Library' with me in a survival situation - unless its on a Kindle, and I can have an ebook on my Laptop, Kindle or even Phone - so this life saving data in this format is portable and effective.
My recommendation - read it in either format, but make sure you have this Handbook available in Kindle format. Some of these things do require review and practice if you want to master the skills - that is to be expected - but after reading this - I can honestly say my odds of survival after just "reading" this book - has increased dramatically.
This is real life - life preparedness kind of things. This isn't a "combat" manual - it is a survival manual/handbook. Don't let the "Special Forces" tag through you off. This is real life, practical skills information.
* Hawke's writing style is conversational, and easy-to-read. It reads as if he is standing in front of you, explaining the concepts directly.
* Hawke's survival techniques are part of a system, which he easily explains. This framework helps because it shows the reader why & when to perform the techniques. Since so much of survival is mental, Hawke figures that in, as well.
* The diagrams stand on their own; unlike many survival books I've read, where you have to flip between the diagrams and the text to figure out the concept.
* The medical section on first aid is fantastic. I went through the Combat Lifesaver Course when I was in the Army, and this chapter blew that away.
* Hawke's descriptions on how to forage for wild plants is the most straightforward & easy to remember that I've ever read.
* I found the book to be lightweight and well built. The cover and the pages are water resistant. It is also small enough to fit in the dead space in your pack (or in your cargo pocket for a day hike).
* None. I've seen some reviewers who were upset that they found this book heavy; they might want to try cutting off the front- and back cover, that will help a bit.
In all honesty, there is no "one" survival book.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
"There are two times when the enemy attacks. When he is ready and when you are not." This book is full of IT = ( information ) IT is packed with how to sustain life. Read morePublished 18 days ago by AKcepted
Received this book on time and it is very informative about the outdoors and skills that could be used to survive outside of the city lights or if a catastrophe would happen to... Read morePublished 1 month ago by KD
Excellent read. Basic and to the point. Love the variety of techniques and the easy of reading quality. Read morePublished 2 months ago by Jungle King
Want a hard copy. Recommend this book. Easy to read and follow. Keep on hiking trips or hunting trips. TyPublished 4 months ago by Travis Primeaux
Found a lot of good information and look forward to actually practicing some of the skills this summer while camping. Read morePublished 5 months ago by Connie Owens K.
Don't get me started on this one. I raved a few years back due to the price of used copies when it was out of print. Added a copy to my library since it was affordable. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Wesley Horton