Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 79 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 175 reviews
on March 30, 2015
I did the math. 1btu is the amount of energy needed to heat one pound of water one degree. Water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon. 100,000btu hr at 82% efficiency, is 82,000btu per hr divided by 8.34 is 9,832. So it will raise the temp of nearly 10,000 gal of water one degree per hr. It worked like clock work on my pool, raised the temp 5 degrees in five hrs! I have an in ground pool that holds approx 10,000 gal of water. I recorded the heat loss over night, on average 1/2 degree, and sure enough, the heater runs about a half hour a day to keep it at temp. I run it off 2 100lb propane tanks ganged together with the connector (Mr Heater) and dual stage regulator (Camco) both bought on Amazon, with 1/2" copper line. It works better than expected! Love it!
review image review image
33 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2013
Works perfect for my 18 X 36 X 52 in above-ground pool. I can get the water toasty using about one tank of propane or $15.745. Adds one month before usual opening and adds an additional month after normal closing date. Wife loves it.... Happy Wife - Happy Life!!!
on July 7, 2011
Had a Hayward that was giving us trouble the last few years not wanting to ignite as it should. Thought it was a low flow problem since the pump was also old & leaking. Bought a new one, still no spark. Bypassed the filter to be sure that wasn't restricting flow. Still nothing. We deduced it was the heater since we had owned it 8 or 9 years. So, we bought a new one. Installed it immediately. IT WILL NOT IGNITE EITHER. So, we called our HVAC guy to check the gas line. Plenty of flow - withing range as owner manual states. Spent 2 hours & $100 - HVAC guy can't figure it out. He's calling Hayward to get answers. Owners manual says setting are all factory set & do not require adjustment. He's thinking it needs adjustment but, the adjustment gadget, when adjusted, does not adjust anything. HVAC guy called Hayward - very responsive. Hayward had the HVAC guy run another test which showed the gas dropped below the min at a specific point indicating that the gas line was either blocked with a web/criters or condensation. We disconnected the line from both ends, blew the line out with an air compressor on one end while sucking with the shop vac. on the other, made all connections and the heater ignited immediately! So we may not have had to buy a new heater - but I guess you can call the old one spare parts or a back up!
on September 29, 2015
Read manufacture's cautions on water quality and stabilization. We are logging the data. Apparently, from some of the review the manufacturer is not all that friendly if the core rots out. Understandable if the water balance/quality is not maintained. Heater did amazingly well on 19,000 gal pool.
on July 19, 2016
Easy to install! Easy to operate! and best of all, heats my pool! What more can i say? I hated getting in the pool b/c the water was cold... i would literally sit in the hot tub and watch the kids play in the pool with my wife... not any more, now i can have that fun too without freezing to death!
on June 23, 2016
I replaced a 10 year old H100 with this heater. Installation was easy and it works as expected. The heater was delivered within 2 days and I selected standard delivery. I priced this heater on several sites and Amazon was the cheapest.
on June 25, 2016
I have a 15' x 52" above ground pool. This heater is awesome. In a little more than 5 hours i went from a chilly pool to the worlds biggest hot tub. Just took a few days to get the temperature to where everyone was happy.
on August 1, 2015
Easy to install as a replacement for a 9 year old model that died.
Does a good job of keeping the pool warm during May and June.
It does use a lot of gas though.
VINE VOICEon June 2, 2014
Purchased this to replace one of the same that was 12 years old. The original lasted until 2 years ago when it started "nickel & diming" me to death -- I had to replace contacts and thermostats for two years so this year we purchased the new one. I chose this for two reasons:
First and most important reason - the original was hooked up as a permanent fixture and I wanted as little disruption involved as possible when swapping out for the new one. When this arrived we unhooked the old one and this heater fit right into place. We did, however, make adjustments in the piping in order to easily remove and store it inside for Winter.

Secondly - I don't think 10 years of service from this model was bad. Considering the amount of chemicals running through it, the water/rust issues, weather abuse and wintering outdoors - 10 years was not bad at all...so I was comfortable with another Hayward.

I normally go directly to an online "swim' store in our area of the country. This makes ship costs cheaper for larger, heavier items and quick delivery too. As I was checking those avenues on line, I ventured to Amazon and found this same heater, from the SAME vendor, for approx. $50 less with Prime shipping. It was the most affordable I had found in my research so 'bit the bullet', hit the ONE CLICK and made the purchase.

It arrived quickly and was well packed. Removed from the box, it was swapped out in 2 hours time. This included a little modification of the piping so we can easily unhook the heater and take in for the Winter...which will help render a longer life of unit.
Ours has a valve for water to bypass heater when we do not want to use it. It was recommended to us by our "handyman to bypass the water for normal use - however, once or twice a month run the water through it (not heating it), just run water through it to stop water and chemical residue inside the heater from getting stagnant. This should also help with the life of the unit.

As for heating - we don't care for "bath water' but we do use this to start the season and bring the water to 70-75f or so which costs approx. $120 on bottled gas. Speaking of which, we already had the bottled gas conversion kit so didn't need to replace that. One tank of gas and 32 hours later, the water was at 75f.

The heater does have a temp gauge and it works perfectly fine to kick on the heater when water temp falls. We don't use this though. We only use for initial heat up and to maintain temp. For instance if we have 3 or 4 colder nights/days and we're going into a week of 80s, we'll use the heater for a few hours just to take the chill off the water. (we're not kids anymore so our lips turning blue is no longer fun!!)

In addition to this heater - we also have piping going through two solar panels. Fortunately we have an open area behind our pool with room for this. Each panel is 2ft wide x 20ft long and you would be amazed at how they heat the water coming into the pool on a high sun day! Sometimes we bypass these just so we have refreshing water and not bath water!

In the end - the heater works perfectly and we're happy with the product. It extends our pool season by approx. 1.5 months and we feel if we're going to spend the money to own and maintain a pool, then why wait till the end of June to get into comfortable water.
on May 12, 2013
this is my 4th one.. they "wear" out after 3 years.. actually its the winter that kills them. They are small enough to disconnect and bring inside to avoid the freezing and humidity that kill the circuit boards and pipes.. otherwise - simple to hookup and easy to operate. Its probably best w small pools or spa's it would take too long to heat a large inground pool to make it worth it.