Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 278 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 330 reviews
on October 4, 2016
We've only had it one summer so I can't speak to the longevity of this heater but as far as performance is concerned, it's awesome. Our pool is 10,000 gallons. I called Hayward and they said I need a minimum 250k btu and anything above that will heat it faster. I went with 350k since the price difference was so little. It heats my pool about 2+ degrees an hour.
Our pool gets little sun and before we could only use it when it was 95 out. We used to go in maybe once a week but this summer we were in there almost every day.
I did the piping but called the pros for the gas and electric. Every pool professional has told me it is crucial that you maintain good pool chemistry to prevent the heater from corroding. I put in a bypass line and shut the water off to heater until the pool was balanced and clean. I also shut it off when I shocked the pool. I would recommend doing the same.
review image
on January 17, 2012
Had a Pentair 400,000 BTU heater that made it about 3 years before entering the "fix me every 6 months with a $600 repair" stage. Spoke with a spa guy who told me the particular Pentair I had was a discontinued lemon and that in his opinion I should replace it instead of repair it again. He told me that I could go with Pentair again because the rest of their stuff was a lot better than what I had, but if it was his he'd buy the Hayward. He then quoted me $3,300 to get this exact heater installed. I checked around, and the best I could find was a quote for $2,700. Found it on Amazon, and decided to take a stab at it.

The package arrived on time, in perfect condition. Delivery people took it into my garage, and I took it the rest of the way on a dolly. I'm not the most experienced/mechanical guy but it probably took me 4 hours (excluding two trips to the local big box home store) to pull my old heater out and put this one in. Instructions included are pretty straight forward, everything is clearly marketed, and the heater has the option of hooking it up from either side (elect/gas/water).

I've ran it a few times and it works like a champ. No complaints at all. I would not hesitate to replace my heater again this way.

On a side note; a different reviewer on a smaller heater complained about the noise of the heater. And yes, I find it is louder than my old Pentair (and I can definitely hear it inside the master bath which is probably 20' from the unit), but I would in no way say that it is too loud. It doesn't distract from conversations while in the spa (also about 20' away in a different direction) so I would not let this affect your decision on purchasing the unit.

I really have no major complaints about the unit in any way yet. If I run into any issues with the unit in the future I will update.

UPDATE: 5/6/13. I've had the unit pushing 18 months now and I've had zero problems with it. There have been issues with the pool/spa, as there always are, but I'm happy to say this heater wasn't one of them.
11 comment| 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2013
This Hayward replaces a 20+ year old Lars Teledyne heater.
Much smaller and lighter than the old one.

Ships with the gas connector on the right side (as you view the front), and the inlet/outlet on the left side.

I needed the water inlet/outlet also on the left, but it is not very hard to switch this yourself.

Process is described in the manual, but involves partial disassemble of the unit, removing the front panel, upper side panels left and right, top cover over the exhaust gas outlet, as well as the rain deflector under the top panel.

There are 2 wires to disconnect from a pressure switch and temp sensor. These are color coded; one red one blue. Pull them through the rubberized hole back into the front section of the heater, then the entire heater core and manifold pull out from the top, rotate 180 degrees then get replaced into the heater. The heater core/manifold fit snugly in place; no screws or bolts.

One then snakes the two wires back through the left side rubberized hole front and plug back into the switch and temp sensor on the manifold. Then the rain deflector and top panel go back on, followed by the two plastic side panels. You also have to remove smaller flat metal panels from the side plastic panels, and switch left and right to accommodate the inlet/outlet manifold now being on the left side.

All in all about 20 Phillips sheet metal screws came out then went back in.

The heater ships with the connection box for 110/220 volt hook up on the right side, as you face the front of the heater, but this can be switched to the left side pretty easily. Ships configured for 220 volts. Very simple to change this to 110; There is a white plastic Molex connector with a few wires bridging the pins plugged into the upper left 'fuse' board. The fuse board is accessed from behind the front pannel, near the top of the unit inside. There are two plugs, attached by a small cable tie;

As shipped, the one plugged in is for 220, the one dangling unattached is 110. You simply pull out the 220 Molex plug after a gentle squeeze of the side retaining clips and swap it for the 110 plug. Done! No tools needed.

All of this took me about an hour, and only requires one Phillips screwdriver.

Now for the gas and water hookups. The gas line is 3/4 inch. Getting it lined up with the existing gas line is a bit of a challenge, and might be left to your plumber. You can get 3/4 inch flexible gas pipe with the correct fittings, from amazon or your local big box diy store.(cheaper from amazon.)

Please note, this heater is ready to go as an outside installation, with the flu gas venting out the top directly. If you install inside an enclosure, you will need to also purchase the Hayward UHXNEGVT11501 Negative Pressure indoor Vent adapter to have a 6 inch flu pipe to attach to your flu-pipe/chimney. Here is the Amazon link;

Very easy to install the vent adapter to the heater, screws on the top of the unit, in place of the top plate. Be sure to order it if you will be installing inside and hooking this up to a flu pipe

You can also get this part done yourself, then leave it to the installer to run the flu pipe to the roof, or out the side of the pump house.

Finally, if you live at a higher altitude, there is a replacement flat metal plate with a series of square holes which covers the inlet for the internal draft fan. This plate/fan is accessed from behind the front panel. The one installed is for lower altitudes. The high altitude plate is in the plastic bag with the instructions manual. You simply swap the plate.

I did all the prep while the heater was still on the shipping pallet. Note; there are three screws which secure the heater to the pallet. The one in the back is visible underneath the lower back metal panel. The two front ones are not visible until you remove the heater front panel.
22 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2017
Just opened my second season (which I can start on March 25th in Northern VA) and I really like this machine so far.

Set-up:
I have an in-ground liner pool which is 18'x36' with an 8' deep end (approximately 30,000). It has 3 jets, a skimmer, and a bottom drain. I own the 400,000 BTU model.

Experience:
I opened the pool by 6:30 pm on Friday. The water was 45 degrees. By 1:30 (19 hours) the water was 80 degrees. So open your pool one day and swim the next. Two notes 1) I close and cover my pool at the end of the season only when my chemical levels are perfect, so when I open the pool it is clear and ready. 2) I always use one of those solar bubble covers when not swimming. You will loose a LOT of heat and water from evaporation if you don't cover your pool on a cold night. The temperature is only limited by your comfort and your wallet.

Pros:
1) Heats FAST
2) Heats to any desired temp
3) Digital display gives accurate temperature and easy to program
4) Easy to winterize and start back up

Cons:
1) Pretty loud. In my experience on ground level you hear it rumble a little but not really bothersome. For some reason when I'm in my bedroom on the second floor I can hear it running. Not sure with the acoustics of my fence and house or what, but I can hear it. I may consider building a pump house around it, but that requires venting and I believe it would be hot as heck in there.
2) EXPENSIVE to run. Now I'm a bit crazy and had my pool running until January. I also had it set to 90 degrees. It was a big hot tub. My gas bill was In the neighborhood of $600. Hard to say how much was attributed to heating the house, but it I estimated my bill to be $350 to run it in the coldest month. Again it was crazy hot.

Overall I am very pleased and I wouldn't own a pool without one. It makes swimming a pleasure and you can have a 9 month swim season (*we did have a mild winter last year).
review image
on November 4, 2015
Shipped well protected and a great product. Some lessons learned the hard way...Flipping the input and output from right side to left side is not an easy job! It took a certified mechanic an hour and a half. You have to hard wire the electrical...no plug. If you already don't have gas running to where you are going to put it, don't bother getting gas model. Don't mess with gas if you don't know what you are doing! Once it was in, worked wonderfully all summer. Wasn't too expensive to run either. Look up tips for saving money while running a pool heater online. Many great tips out there (IE it's cheaper to only run it when you need it than try to keep a consistent temperature). ***If you call a pool place to get it installed, DO NOT tell them that you bought it on AMAZON. The price online was dramatically cheaper than what they were charging, and some will actually refuse to do the job***
on September 8, 2016
After just 1, 3 month season it has stopped working. I reached out to Hayward (Dustin) in NC and was told my unit probably had spider webs. I inquired about the warranty and was told it was actually manufactured in 2014 and I purchased it in 15 so the warranty is no longer in effect. I'm quite certain I didn't know my unit was 1.5 years old when I purchased it. They're not going to stand behind this product, I would seek a different manufacturer.

They sent me service companies that aren't in my area and won't come out - I don't blame the companies, they were very helpful but Hayward should look at the map rather than the mileage and see the bridges that separate New York from New Jersey!!
on April 27, 2017
Awful awful awful!!!! Bought this may 2015 and diHeat exchanger keeps on leaking were manifold bolts to Side the ports dont align for the heat exchanger and into the plastic manifold and the water friction keep on wearing out the end of the heat exchanger. Didn't even have it 6 months and it started to leak ... they should of used copper not aluminum ...
WHAT A WASTE OF 2500.00$$$$$
The heater I replaced I had for 13 years
I'm so pissed off
on March 26, 2015
The unit is awesome. I toke the advice of many and bought much bigger unit than needed to be able to more quickly heat the pool. And indeed it does just that. We have 8k gallon pool and I heated it from 74 to 92 in about 2hrs!!!!

The one thing no one ever mentioned is the gas line and meter for it. This unit pools 400k BTU. I found out my meter was only 250k meter and had a 1" pipe running about 25 feet to it. For other beginners out there, this means I cannot supply enough natural gas to the unit. I had 2 options, but no matter what needed a new meter. The city installed for free. Option 1 a plumber was going to replace the entire 1" pipe with larger one. This was $2200. Option 2 different plumber said let just put some regulators (increase pressure therefore more gas) on the existing pipe. This was $800. Obviously I went with option 2 and you can see pic of regulator I needed.

You will need to have a licensed pool company install the heater into your equipment. We were informed that while calling around for prices. Apparently Hayward nullifies your warranty if you self install. Kind of silly because not that hard to install. It cost us about $750.

So in total the heater $1800, plumber $800, pool company $750, new meter free.

Very happy now that it is installed and working. It's great to swim nearly year round.
review image review image
on June 18, 2015
Love this heater, it replaced a 12 year old Laars unit. Runs great, very efficient compared to the previous 125,000 BTU Laars heater and it's smaller! Technology has come a long way in 12 years of pool heating. The shipper was on time, courteous and communicated well with me. The ONLY negative I have is the fact that when I installed it, which was easy, I turned on the gas, turned on the pump, and plugged the heater in and then...and then...nothing. Panel wouldn't light up, it appeared dead. I checked the power (I am an Engineer by trade and a HAM operator) and it was good, I checked the 4 fuses on the control boards inside the heater, all good. Ok - now it's time to grab the schematic and begin troubleshooting. To make a long story short, I traced the 24VDC leads to.....hanging in space connected to nothing! Near them were 2 shiny new terminals on the main control board and sure enough, the schematic identified them as being the 24VDC input point to the control board. I made the connections, plugged the heater back in and the panel lit up and a few seconds later, so did the heater. Obviously someone in the factory tested for 24VDC from the transformer and forgot to re-land the connections. I sent an email explaining all this to Hayward, stating that it's a good thing they sent this particular unit to me, because I saved them an expensive warranty service call by the local field technician. I haven't heard back from - yet...
on May 18, 2017
If you're considering the 500K BTU model, here's my experience. I purchased the 500 K because I got a great price though Amazon Warehouse Deals. Had to upsize the house gas meter, gas company did that for free. You most likely will need a 1 1/2 inch gas line run to the heater as I did to get the full 500 K BTU this heater is capable of putting out. This heater heats our 34, 000 gal pool about 3 degrees an hour. Quite a bit faster when the sun is out. Also our pool has a large suface area. I'm very impressed with this heater. Does it cost more to heat the pool than say a 400K BTU model? Not really it just heats faster, just what we wanted. I plumbed the heater so I can bypass and isolate it from the pool system it's when it's not being used and when I shock the pool. ( See pics) Not very loud. Love this thing.
review image review image