Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 193 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 328 reviews
on October 4, 2016
We've only had it one summer so I can't speak to the longevity of this heater but as far as performance is concerned, it's awesome. Our pool is 10,000 gallons. I called Hayward and they said I need a minimum 250k btu and anything above that will heat it faster. I went with 350k since the price difference was so little. It heats my pool about 2+ degrees an hour.
Our pool gets little sun and before we could only use it when it was 95 out. We used to go in maybe once a week but this summer we were in there almost every day.
I did the piping but called the pros for the gas and electric. Every pool professional has told me it is crucial that you maintain good pool chemistry to prevent the heater from corroding. I put in a bypass line and shut the water off to heater until the pool was balanced and clean. I also shut it off when I shocked the pool. I would recommend doing the same.
review image
on January 17, 2012
Had a Pentair 400,000 BTU heater that made it about 3 years before entering the "fix me every 6 months with a $600 repair" stage. Spoke with a spa guy who told me the particular Pentair I had was a discontinued lemon and that in his opinion I should replace it instead of repair it again. He told me that I could go with Pentair again because the rest of their stuff was a lot better than what I had, but if it was his he'd buy the Hayward. He then quoted me $3,300 to get this exact heater installed. I checked around, and the best I could find was a quote for $2,700. Found it on Amazon, and decided to take a stab at it.

The package arrived on time, in perfect condition. Delivery people took it into my garage, and I took it the rest of the way on a dolly. I'm not the most experienced/mechanical guy but it probably took me 4 hours (excluding two trips to the local big box home store) to pull my old heater out and put this one in. Instructions included are pretty straight forward, everything is clearly marketed, and the heater has the option of hooking it up from either side (elect/gas/water).

I've ran it a few times and it works like a champ. No complaints at all. I would not hesitate to replace my heater again this way.

On a side note; a different reviewer on a smaller heater complained about the noise of the heater. And yes, I find it is louder than my old Pentair (and I can definitely hear it inside the master bath which is probably 20' from the unit), but I would in no way say that it is too loud. It doesn't distract from conversations while in the spa (also about 20' away in a different direction) so I would not let this affect your decision on purchasing the unit.

I really have no major complaints about the unit in any way yet. If I run into any issues with the unit in the future I will update.

UPDATE: 5/6/13. I've had the unit pushing 18 months now and I've had zero problems with it. There have been issues with the pool/spa, as there always are, but I'm happy to say this heater wasn't one of them.
11 comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2015
The unit is awesome. I toke the advice of many and bought much bigger unit than needed to be able to more quickly heat the pool. And indeed it does just that. We have 8k gallon pool and I heated it from 74 to 92 in about 2hrs!!!!

The one thing no one ever mentioned is the gas line and meter for it. This unit pools 400k BTU. I found out my meter was only 250k meter and had a 1" pipe running about 25 feet to it. For other beginners out there, this means I cannot supply enough natural gas to the unit. I had 2 options, but no matter what needed a new meter. The city installed for free. Option 1 a plumber was going to replace the entire 1" pipe with larger one. This was $2200. Option 2 different plumber said let just put some regulators (increase pressure therefore more gas) on the existing pipe. This was $800. Obviously I went with option 2 and you can see pic of regulator I needed.

You will need to have a licensed pool company install the heater into your equipment. We were informed that while calling around for prices. Apparently Hayward nullifies your warranty if you self install. Kind of silly because not that hard to install. It cost us about $750.

So in total the heater $1800, plumber $800, pool company $750, new meter free.

Very happy now that it is installed and working. It's great to swim nearly year round.
review image review image
on June 18, 2015
Love this heater, it replaced a 12 year old Laars unit. Runs great, very efficient compared to the previous 125,000 BTU Laars heater and it's smaller! Technology has come a long way in 12 years of pool heating. The shipper was on time, courteous and communicated well with me. The ONLY negative I have is the fact that when I installed it, which was easy, I turned on the gas, turned on the pump, and plugged the heater in and then...and then...nothing. Panel wouldn't light up, it appeared dead. I checked the power (I am an Engineer by trade and a HAM operator) and it was good, I checked the 4 fuses on the control boards inside the heater, all good. Ok - now it's time to grab the schematic and begin troubleshooting. To make a long story short, I traced the 24VDC leads to.....hanging in space connected to nothing! Near them were 2 shiny new terminals on the main control board and sure enough, the schematic identified them as being the 24VDC input point to the control board. I made the connections, plugged the heater back in and the panel lit up and a few seconds later, so did the heater. Obviously someone in the factory tested for 24VDC from the transformer and forgot to re-land the connections. I sent an email explaining all this to Hayward, stating that it's a good thing they sent this particular unit to me, because I saved them an expensive warranty service call by the local field technician. I haven't heard back from - yet...
on May 18, 2017
If you're considering the 500K BTU model, here's my experience. I purchased the 500 K because I got a great price though Amazon Warehouse Deals. Had to upsize the house gas meter, gas company did that for free. You most likely will need a 1 1/2 inch gas line run to the heater as I did to get the full 500 K BTU this heater is capable of putting out. This heater heats our 34, 000 gal pool about 3 degrees an hour. Quite a bit faster when the sun is out. Also our pool has a large suface area. I'm very impressed with this heater. Does it cost more to heat the pool than say a 400K BTU model? Not really it just heats faster, just what we wanted. I plumbed the heater so I can bypass and isolate it from the pool system it's when it's not being used and when I shock the pool. ( See pics) Not very loud. Love this thing.
review image review image
on March 9, 2017
Had to re-plumb the water intake and output lines & modify the gas line. Fortunately I'm mechanically inclined and was able to do it all myself with one trip to Lowe's and a trip to Leslie's for the fittings. Fired right up. No Leaks. It's been 1-1/2 years and no issues. This one is also way more efficient than the old one which lasted 10 years exposed to the weather. I built a cover over this one I can raise up when in use. I saved a fortune on this as Leslie's was over 3k plus a few hundred to install plus another couple to a few for the gas company to re-pipe. I don't recommend messing with a gas line if you're not familiar with what is required.
on August 8, 2015
Heats a 14,000 gallon pool about 1.5 degrees per hour. Easy hookup, relatively small size, everything I hoped for. A number of people have commented on the noise. It's about half the decibel level of our central air conditioner. It's a different kind of noise though, a low rumble, like a slow moving train. But still only half the volume of the AC. So you can hear it from 30 feet away, but it's not overpowering. In my case it's located somewhat near the AC anyway, so it really isn't all that bad.

It doesn't run often due to our solar cover. But it's nice to be able to bump it up a few degrees pretty quickly if we ever want to.
on July 28, 2015
Just as advertised and pictured; nice appearance. Replaced 15-year-old Hayward H150 natural gas unit. The old unit was basic in comparison, with no thermostat, just a turn knob (warmer/cooler) indicator, so this one is a huge improvement in that regard with a current temperature readout and two adjustable temp settings (Spa and Pool). The old unit was virtually silent in operation after the initial ignition sound while this one makes significant low-frequency noise from the fan during operation which is quite noticeable to me from almost any distance but visitors don't seem to mind. Heats my smaller, approximately 10,000 gallon, in-ground pool much more quickly than the old unit rated at same BTU. We are in 4-season northern Kentucky and can open the pool much earlier and stay open later with the heater. Definitely recommend heater and Hayward.
on July 26, 2015
I have had mine now for about 2 months. I live in the Midwest so our window for pool use can be narrow. I have a 24' round above ground pool and I get about 2 degrees an hour with this 200k btu unit. We have been in the pool late into the night several times now. So glad we bought this unit. It did take about 5 weeks to receive it. I bought an hvac pad to set it on. The flexibility of the voltage is a huge plus. Running 220v to our pool wasn't feasible. We did have to flip the manifold and it was tedious, but easy. It runs pretty quiet but it is not silent. It sounds like a furnace. My wife can hear it from our bedroom but it doesn't bother me. I would gladly trade a little sound for warm water. Love it!
on March 8, 2015
 Okay, maybe silent is a bit of an exaggeration. All kidding aside, this heater is quiet and you would have to be pretty close to hear it. Performance is good, it takes the temp of my 500 gal spa up 1 degree every minute or two so I can be up to Hot Tub temp in 30 minutes in most cases. I usually don't use this to heat my pool, but its good to have the capacity to do so should the need arise.

Amazon was one of the cheaper prices I could find on this and I took advantage of the Prime shipping. The unit comes screwed into a wooden pallet, so mine arrived via lift gate truck. The box was in pristine condition and so were the contents, kudos to the shipping company. They even brought it into my garage on a pallet jack.

Pros:

Strong heat output - the heat exchanger on this thing is massive. Much larger than the 188k BTU unit it replaced, you can notice the heat in the pool returns immediately
Easy Hookup - One of my deciding factors on this was the ability to have the gas, water and electric hookups on the same side. I did not want to have additional piping or flow restriction that comes with running the water around to the heater inputs. This unit can have the water/electric on either side. The exhaust vents upward, I didn't want a heater that vented on my lawn or pool equipment.
Cupro-nickel Heat exchanger - I run a salt water pool, and as we all know water destroys metals over time. I wanted to at least have some upgraded corrosion protection, since this part won't last forever. Cupro-nickel is supposed to be more corrosion resistant, so that was a requirement for me.

Con:

Only thing I can think of is that this unit is BIG. To be more precise, its wide. I actually wanted the 400k BTU unit, but I just didn't have space for it on my equipment pad. This would be my only gripe, I wish these were taller rather than wider.

I saw a couple of questions about consumption so I measured it in the vid. The gas valve is on/off, it doesn't throttle the gas based on the temperature you have it set to. While running it consumes ~5ccf a minute. My gas company charges me 1.64 per 100ccf, so were talking ~5 bucks an hour to run.

A video is worth a thousand words so press play and check it out.