Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Price:$1,645.00+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 49 reviews
on April 11, 2016
Bought this about a year ago but just got around to installing it - long story. Works great so far - I'm using it with a 2200 gallon aboveground pool and it easily maintains 80F. I only run the circulation pump 4 hours a day for filtration purposes so the heat pump will only run during those 4 hours but so far it's been enough - temps here in San Diego have been in the 60's midday which is when I run the pump. This is the most economical way to use a heat pump, run it when the daytime temps are at their max. The pool has been losing only about 2 degrees F overnight so the heat pump doesn't have to work very hard to maintain temp. Before the heat pump the pool water was in the high 60's, too cold to stay in very long. Now it's quite comfortable to me at least - I like to stay in and swim for about an hour a day - using a swim in place arrangement (I have an Ipool2, available here on Amazon I think).

I also would like to compliment Hayward on their fast response to my email inquiries - before I ordered this heat pump I asked them if it was suitable for use with a salt water chlorine generator and had a response the same day (yes it is OK for salt water - just have to keep the chemistry balanced). And just yesterday (Sunday) I emailed another question and had their response in my email this morning. This is the question I sent -

"I have a Hayward HP50TA 50,000 BTU heat pump installed next to a 2200
> gallon aboveground pool here in San Diego. It seems to work fine but
> I do have one question about what happens when the pool pump turns
> off. I see the code "HP" flashing shortly after the pump turns off
> and it continues to flash until the pump comes back on. The heat pump
> will also occasionally try to start while the pool pump is off, i.e.
> the fan runs for a few minutes but I don't think the compressor
> starts. It seems to me that I should see a "Flo" code instead of an
> "HP" code when the pool pump is off. Is there an adjustment I need to
> do or should I just leave it as is?"

and this was their response -

"This is normal for the heat pump to do this
after being used, there is no adjustments needed you should leave as
is.

Regards,

Julio.

Hayward Technical Services
One Hayward Industrial Drive
Clemmons, NC (USA) 27012
800-432-8387"

so to summarize I am quite pleased with both the product and the customer support.
on April 24, 2017
Well designed ,durable, and reliable. We can't say enough positive things about this heater. We have a 16ft.x30ft. in-ground pool with a Hayward Super Pump(1.5 horsepower) and this unit heats our pool with ease. It is easy to hook up, although be prepared to have a 18 inch lead electrical line on your whip because the electrical hook up is that far from the opening.
on July 15, 2016
I received my heater a few days ago
All packaging was in great condition
Unpacked , hooked up and had working within an hour.
You will need a dedicated 20 amp line/220
Heated pool from 75 to 80 in less than 6 hours.
I shut it off at night, ran next day for 8 hours and pool temp is set at 86.
Love it so far, very quite and the push button control is great, once it reaches desired temp it shuts off..
on July 25, 2016
Love this pool heater. This heater works great. I think it will extend swimming by two or three months.
on July 6, 2015
I bought a house with a beat 21 foot inground and am rehabbing the pool. I put it behind the shed (not a real sunny spot) and had it professionally wired. The water temp was 71 when I started and the outside temp was in the 50s that night. In 26 hours it was 85! Now I don't see it running and with the cover its above my setting . Works better than I expected.
on November 4, 2016
Best thing we have bought for our pool in Wisconsin
on June 18, 2013
HP50TA - you can goto the hayward site to see the manual(The current Amazon picture IS NOT the correct product photo). I called hayward and they told me I need a 40 amp designated breaker for the hp50ta model(THIS WAS WRONG). I ended up installing (well electricain did) a 30 amp 220/240 breaker on 10 guage wire at a guess since I had not recieved heater on day pool was being wired. The heater came and plate said it needed 20 amp. service so my install was overkill but good in case upgrade was ever needed.

My pool is 24' round and 52" above ground installed 6/1/13. I live in zone 4. The pump has been able to keep the pool between 85 - 88 F with no problems(I have not tried higher, but I have little doubt 90+ is easily reached with several days of running). Highest pool temp before heat pump was 76 F(Cool June) with avg pool temp 70 F. The heater is slow to raise temp on cool days and will hold or raise the temp a couple of degrees over a chilly 60 F night. On a hot day 80+F the pool will raise at 2-3F per hour.

I have my pump on timer to run from 12noon-9pm. Pool stays at 85/86 F so far without issue. I do cover always when not in use with 8mil solar. When the pump kicks off the heat pump detects no flow and shuts down heating operation. Pump is quiet and easy to use. I cannot rate for durability but the pump was a great buy the Amazon price.
22 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2017
Works as advertised. plumbed it myself. took 2 days to heat to 87.
on June 23, 2016
Fantastic unit. Great price. Delivery and install went smoothly.
This heat pumps works better than the previous different brand we owned.
I particularly like the digital display.
Very pleased
on August 20, 2016
had for the whole summer now and has worked great to heat our above ground pool and way cheaper then tropical ones they wanted us to buy at the pool place