Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 103 reviews
on March 18, 2014
And "research-based" doesn't mean "clunky." Luke's writing is clear, elegant, and easy to follow—just like the forms you'll design by following his advice. If creating forms that work is in any way important to you, there's another title you should get: Caroline Jarrett's and Gerry Gaffney's Forms that Work. Caroline and Gerry cover paper forms, too, but much of what Luke and they both cover is relevant in both settings. With those two books in hand or on your tablet, you'll have all the information that matters about form design. And if you're wondering whether you design forms, ask yourself this: "Does my website have an input field on it?" The same answer fits both questions. (I'm guessing it's "Yes!")
on July 21, 2013
Although I don't design web sites for a living, I do manage my own for my business. Also, I have been asked by a local company or two to refresh their sites. Although my background is in architecture, that does not automatically make one an 'expert' in web design, so when I saw that this was available, I bought it. It helps if you are familiar with HTML and CSS but you can learn some of that along the way. I haven't been all the way through it yet, but the advice is sound and the examples are interesting. One client example is the Foo Bar Steakhouse and Saloon. (FUBAR?) Anyone that's been in the military will appreciate that 'in' reference. :-)
on March 18, 2017
Well written. Condenses key information​ as easy to digest bullet points at the end of each chapter. Fun to read!
on July 8, 2017
This is the go to book for web form design. Not about the program but the methodology.
on January 3, 2009
I just purchased the book, and find it to be a valuable resource for the baffling topic of liquid layouts. It "set me straight" on some basic concepts and I particularly liked the way Zoe explained the pros and cons of the various layout choices. For this reason, I will refer to it before beginning a new project to help me me make some design decisions. Also, she provides some examples for dealing with some of the issues that must be considered when working with liquid layouts(such as strategies to use for graphic comps). I also think it's a good blend of theory and actual exercises ... I have found that some books have too much of one or the other. For anyone ready to move beyond the fixed-width layout, I highly recommend it. I was very happy to see a very comprehensive book that dealt specifically with liquid layouts, written by someone who is an expert in this particular area. However it's not for the fledgling web designer (and the author clearly states this in her introduction).
on August 1, 2012
This is a very good book on web design. I like that it takes you through the thought process of creating a site. Working with HTML and CSS is fairly easy but the planning and designing of a site where the real work is at. The book does a good job of covering design with fictional companies. If you are looking for how to work with HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc. you will need to get a different book.
on October 5, 2009
I'm about 4/5ths of the way through this book and I've enjoyed reading so far.

The information is targeted at designers with intermediate experience. If you've been reading A List Apart since 2001 you'll probably feel like you've heard a lot of this book's content already. However, having it collected in one place has a lot of added value.

One thing I feel is missing is the code examples for all* the "best practice" form designs. I understand this isn't the intention of the book, but code examples are usually given on web design blogs.

*Some code examples are given in the end of the book--I haven't gotten to them yet--but they couldn't cover ALL the designs.
on October 28, 2013
This is a staple that belongs in the professional library of anyone who creates web sites and/or web applications containing forms. A very quick read with good examples and references to studies. Don't let the publication date put you off (2008). The principles covered in the book are still relevant today. Although I certainly wouldn't complain if Luke put out a second edition.
on May 24, 2012
In Flexible Web Design, Zoe Gillenwater presents a method of designing web sites which effortlessly respond and resize to the viewer's display device characteristics. The intelligent characteristics of such responsive designs also simplify the designer's efforts in expanding a site's device formatting.

The book's content provides full methodology and illustrations of FWD Design, which will benefit; web & graphic designers, publishers, photographers, and technical writers in adapting their projects for E-display.
on February 22, 2010
After having read multiple articles from Smashing Magazine, A List Apart, and other blogs that have articles on both liquid and elastic layouts, I was really blown away with how much information was in this book. It definitely pays tribute to how much time Gillenwater must have invested in writing 'Flexible Web Design.' It's a truly excellent CSS book, and I'd recommend it to anyone who tries to use CSS Frameworks for laying out web pages instead of hand-coding. Out of all the CSS books I've read, this one was by far the most informative.