BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on May 18, 2014
After 3 years of chronic low back pain and neck pain, I am healing. John Sarno's diagnosis is the truth, medicine is WAAY far behind in understanding the connection between emotions and illness, especially chronic pain. I bought this book in February with very consistent, badly affecting pain everyday and am now down to a daily 1 or 0 in pain. My biggest advice is HANG IN THERE, the book says it takes 6-8 weeks to heal completely and it has taken me much longer than that, don't be discouraged if you are still in pain after that time frame. Everyone is different and it took me 3 months to get to where I am now but the results are UNBELIEVABLE, pain is almost nothing to me now and in time it will be nothing and chronic pain will only be a memory.

Here are some KEY tips that helped me to heal:

1. Stop covering up your feelings. In the past, if someone said something offensive towards me, I would cover up the feeling by thinking about it, rationalizing why they said, what they said, the context, blah blah blah but the FEELING is what is important. My mind would say I'm not offended but the truth is I am. FEEL THAT FEELING and tell yourself it's ok to feel this. I am ok.

2. Stop letting your thoughts torture you. In the past I would let my head spin in worry for hours and hours, thinking oh maybe this will happen, but what if that happens. Take charge and say NO to your worry thoughts. It will suck for a while because worry is a habit and it takes time to break so you will be stopping your thoughts A LOT but eventually the worry slows down and dissipates. Channel that inner rage at your thoughts. Tell them to shut up! I wont take this abuse anymore, I deserve to feel good and I choose to feel hopeful.

3. Practice positive thinking and prayer. This will vibrationally help you to heal. Feed yourself POSITIVE ENERGY as much as you can, believe in your healing, no matter what the pain is telling you. Listen to My Morning Jacket, spend time in nature, get off Twitter and Instagram and all that noise, pet your dog, think about great things that have happened to you.

4. Journal. Write about what makes you angry, sad, scared, insecure. Write it out. I would oftentimes feel the repressed rage boiling up to the surface as I wrote. This is exactly what the pain is trying to distract you from, it is great to feel that rage there.

5. Cry, scream, beat the hell out of something. Get those emotions moving. If you have chronic pain, you have stale emotions sitting in you. Lay on your bed and breathe deeply into your belly, make a sound as you exhale, this helps to rouse the old emotions, bringing them to the surface. Keep breathing into it and cry it out, beat your pillow, whatever you're feeling.

6. Don't worry about setbacks. I had so many times where the pain would go down, only to come back with a vengeance. I was afraid I would never heal, but the fact that you can get it moving up and down like that at all shows that things are changing. Keep practicing, hold strong, and eventually the pain starts to lose the fight.

Good luck and god bless.
2121 comments| 357 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2016
This is the real deal. I am not paid by anyone to write this, I'm just a regular dude here to attest that the information contained in this book will heal you if you put faith into it and really stick to it. Just about any kind of physical pain you have will be healed after reading this and giving it time. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars on different kinds of alternative health therapies and spent years of my life going to regular doctors and specialists to try to get back to where I was in life. None did it, save for Dr. John E. Sarno. Howard Stern once said that this man deserves the Nobel Prize. I HIGHLY agree with Howard. Sometime down the line, maybe 100 years from now, Dr. Sarno will be remembered as one of the most influential and greatest doctors this planet has ever seen.

If you still don't believe me, shoot me a comment on this review and maybe we can chat via email. I used to walk around with a cane due to my pain and now I'm climbing mountains, back to work, sprinting, weight lifting, you name it. Good luck.
99 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
I don't know how I stumbled upon these reviews initially. I do know that it was after a year of entirely disabling, perplexing, and shifting symptoms that culminated with a "herniated disc" diagnosis, an epidural steroid injection that made things worse, and ever-increasing dispair that I would ever have my once very active life back. Since these reviews are what led me to read this book (despite the fact that I'm scientifically minded and inclined to believe and trust doctors in general, maybe too much), I thought I would add my own story. For the record (since I doubted whether these reviews were real - it seems implausible), I am a REAL person. This is difficult to believe, but real.

After a backpacking trip in November 2010, I developed severe, debilitating knee pain. It was a blissful three days in the wilderness, and on the hike out (i.e. back to my job as a corporate lawyer), the knee pain started. I waited a week, thinking it was an overuse injury related to my spin classes, hiking, etc., and when it did not get better, I went in for an MRI. It showed nothing. The first orthopedic surgeon diagnosed me with "knee strain" and sent me to physical therapy, which I ended up doing twice a week for six months.

Two months later, things were not improved, so I switched doctors and ordered a second MRI. Still nothing. I couldn't take a single step without pain. I was icing my knee three times a day -- did that for months. My knee was actually warm to the touch, which (of course) led me to believe that there was some physical injury.

My new doctor, feeling the extreme soreness I had on my hip and outside of my quad and outside of my knee, diagnosed me with IT (iliotibial band) syndrome. I contined with physical therapy. Once I was diagnosed with IT band syndrome (the tissue that runs from the hip to the knee is affected), my HIP started to hurt. Soon it was mostly hip pain, so I got a steroid injection in my hip. It did not help. Physical therapy did not help. The pain started on the other hip, too. I despaired. I spent thousands on acupuncture and massage.

At some point, my physical therapist suggested that maybe I had a pinched nerve. I had MRIs done of my hip (showing nothing) and my back. The back MRI showed a herniated L4/L5 vertebrae (diagnosed by my new spine surgeon), and I scheduled an epidural. I was having a hard time sitting by this point. I worked long hours (regularly 12-14 hours a day) and I couldn't really do my job. I went for the epidural, and afterward I couldn't sit, stand, or lie comfortably. I took time off work. I ultimately went on disability medical leave, because I couldn't do ANYTHING. I couldn't imagine what my life would be. The orthopedic surgeon wanted to operate.

Then I stumbled across these reviews, which I was sure were fake. But I was desperate, and I bought the book. While I waited for it to arrive, I read other things about Sarno, and about his theories, on the internet. He kind of sounded like a crackpot, but it seemed to work. Still, my back was KILLING me, and I had been diagnosed with a spinal problem. I was on pain pills. Surely these theories didn't apply to me.

The book came. I read it. It took about 1.5 hours (it's short and written for laypeople). I decided to try it. I went outside and ran up the steps by my house. I hadn't walked more than a few steps in months. The run hurt like hell, but it didn't make anything worse. So I committed. I went to the movies that night. I was terrified of sitting for two hours, but every time the pain would flare up I would internally remind myself that it was because of my internal pain, rage, whatever you call it. I spent a lot of time reminding myself of this, and I doubted myself. But within 2 days, I really was able to do some things, and I started to believe. I definitely still had pain, but I worked on it. Really, really hard. And I made myself do the things I was most afraid of doing. Going to the pilates class I was sure would injure my back. Going hiking on the same trail that precipitated the whole thing. Going to spin class. And I couldn't believe I was able to do these things. I forced myself to do anything I was afraid of. I repeated the refrain "there is nothing wrong with you" probably a million times.

Listen - it's been 6 weeks now, and I am pain free. It did take almost that long. I would periodically (and less frequently as time went on) have back pain, and then knee pain, and bunion pain, and ankle, and calf, and hip, and neck. My body did not want to give up the ruse. But listen, people, this _______ works. TMS is a real thing. I am pain free when six weeks ago I was on disability and headed for back surgery.

I feel like an evangelist. But there is nothing to lose, and this could save your life.
11 comment| 322 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2015
As someone who has had persistent and almost debilitating back pain for 6+ years, I would have tried anything that would remove even half of my back pain. Shoot, I would have sacrificed an animal to the back pain gods if it removed 30% of my back pain.

Having a book, a flipping book, remove over 90% of my back pain is incredible. No extra work, no exercise, no drugs, no expensive therapy...just some good ol' education did the trick.

The friend who recommended this to me said read it with an open mind, and he was absolutely right. If you believe in anything in this world, believe that your back pain is a physical representation of your stress or anger.

Wow...
on March 25, 2015
Dr. Sarno literally saved me from foot surgery. After reading this book, less than 2 weeks later, I am pain free from Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. Highly recommended for anyone with any pain.. My eyes are opened!!
on July 29, 2016
I'm still in the process of working stuff out but... Oh my. I feel so blessed to have come across this book!!! I have severe spasmodic torticollis and I believe it's a HUGE manifestation of TMS. It's getting better for me, with help from my Savior - whom brought me to this book - and help from a TMS therapist. Seriously, GET THE BOOK AND READ IT.
on April 22, 2015
Excellent. This doc is right on. I healed my 4 month on the couch can't move due back pain by addressing the emotional issues. I did the gamut of docs. Neurologist . Physical therapy shots chiropractic. Xrays ct scans mri.
Spent lots of money unnecessary
Do this route first. I'm
on March 23, 2016
Excellent book. After reading this book my back pain went considerably down. This is not a cure but if used along other things it is highly effective. It's hard to say if it was all in my head or changing my lifestyle. This book opened my eyes and listened to my mind not just my body. I firmly believe Dr. Sarno is on to something and it helped me recover from severe pain to tolerable. I will take this any day of the week. We are what we think. His techniques in his book are very helpful for anyone who is suffering from chronic back pain. Good read for sure!
on October 4, 2015
I read this many years back and experienced almost immediate, permanent relief from my back pain. I loaned the book to someone and never got it back. Bought it again recently when I had a flare up. Same result - pain's gone. I tell everyone about this book.
on May 9, 2016
This book truly changed my life. The items he discusses are so simple yet they are prevalent around the world and I wish I had read this book a year earlier as it would have saved me thousands of dollars of unnecessary expenses and worrying. If you suffer from any type of back pain and can't figure out the cause read this book.