Customer Reviews: The Healing Power of Neurofeedback: The Revolutionary LENS Technique for Restoring Optimal Brain Function
Amazon Vehicles 4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fin fin fin  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis hhnsweeps Shop Cycling on Amazon

on July 8, 2006
I have been a layman advocate of Neurotherpy since the mid-nineties. My youngest son was a low performing high school student who had been diagnosed with attention deficit disorder. All total he had approximately 40 treatments of eeg-neurofeedback using the EEG Spectrum protocol after trying Ritalin, which he could not tolerate. After neurofeedback treatment, but still with very little confidence, he reluctantly entered college. One day in an algebra class he realized that for the first time in his academic life that not only was he paying attention, he was following what the professor was saying, and he then realized that the change was probably due to the neurotherapy treatments. He is now a confident, capable college graduate doing a complicated job that he loves and went after himself. He is a highly funtional person and I am a proud father.

I became somewhat obsessed with keeping up with this field and all the variations of treatments, and I have directed many people to various practioners in my state. I have attended multiple conferences as a layman just to keep up with advances and spin-offs from this treatment. My bookshelves at home are full of publications on this subject because I so strongly believe in the physiological principles being discovered in this area. This book finally explains in clear, understandable language what Len Och's protocol does, or at least what is known up to this point. Most importantly,it brings together a comprehensive view that needs to be understood both by the public and practitioners of the trade. Chapter Twelve discusses all the other modalities of treatment of disorders and how all of them are important and how possibly none of them alone is the only answer to many complicated disorders. This field of treatment addresses many things that mainstream medicine presently is not addressing, and this book offers other avenues to explore. I think the author explains that enigma as well as anyone I have read. For anyone practicing, or for anyone trying to decide if it is a protocol that might improve their lives or a loved one's life, this is a must read.
11 comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2006
I have the good fortune to be one of Len Ochs patients. (He is the developer/creator of the LENS technique.) Because of this I am strongly biased in favor of the methodology as it has changed my life. I had no bias about the book prior to reading it but found it to be an excellent introduction for anyone about this treatment methodology.

The book is easy and interesting to read and understand and the case studies are truly heart warming and hope inspiring.

More important is the actual subject matter, the LENS technique. The Lens technique feeds-back to the brain a tiny micro-dose of whatever its most dysfunctional brainwave pattern is--the essential definition of homeopathy (a micro-dose of whatever is causing the problem or of the problem itself). The end result is that the noise is removed from the brain wave patterns and the full human being that has been hidden underneath has a chance to emerge. I'm sure the EEG software was not simple to write but the overall concept is elegantly simple and the whole method very objective and straightforward.

I would be what is classified as a "tough case". Most of my brain dysfunction is a result of prenatal and early infancy developmental trauma. My understanding is that this type takes much longer to change and receive benefit. After 30+ years of various therapies and process work and 35+ years of dedicated meditation practice I had changed quite a bit but my core of anxiety and fear, a sort of PTSD physiology, was unchanged. After some months of having the great good fortune of being treated by Dr. Ochs himself, I am calmer, happier, sleep better and am more emotionally available. Just ask my wife or my therapist!

The only downside is that there are as yet so few trained practitioners. So I recommend reading this book and then giving to your favorite alt.oriented doctor or therapist and see if you can get them interested in taking the training.
22 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 13, 2007
I am a Family Physician in group practice for the past 25 years and have used traditional neurofeedback since 2003. Since 2006 I have used the LENS system, described quite well in Stephen Larsen' book. The LENS technique is effortless for the patients and much faster in time and number of sessions needed to train compared to traditional neurofeedback. We are not programming the patients, as the feedback given is their own EEG pattern, at a slightly different frequency. Homeopathy on the scalp? Perhaps. The signal sent to the brain is weak- yet the brain responds to the signal, and changes can be seen immediately. I liken it to a conductor giving the orchestra a tone to get in tune or a mirror being held up to the patient.

I am wary of new age treatments and their various claims, yet switched to the LENS technique based on recommendations from fellow neurofeedback practitioners, as no double blinded studies exist to prove its efficacy. Out of the 35 patients I have trained with sofar, 20 have had astonishing improvements in daily life functioning after minor to major head injuries, seizures, ADHD, Tinnitus, Aspergers syndrome, Retts syndrome, CFS, anxiety and depression. They generally report that they can resolve issues with much less worry and consternation and their sleep improves. Time will show if it is a placebo effect that will wear off. So far the effects have been lasting after an average training of 10-12 sessions. One of the 35 patients has had abject reactions to the treatment, and I have learned why -too much stimulation given by me - so yes, it requires patience and skill from the provider- LENS isn't a system that a lay person can purchase and hook themselves up to.

Training patients with LENS at the end of the day is a treat! I highly recommend this book.

Steven Crozier MD

on May 2, 2007
LENS is a technique of using short duration, low intensity radio waves at the same frequency of the brain, or with a specific offset, applied through an external scalp electrode to break up stuck brain patterns. The brain adapts and assumes a more flexible or more functional pattern, and the patient gets better. This book is about the results of a specific neurotherapy technique. It's not neurofeedback, although the author seems to think this verbal slight of hand is OK. The author claims that LENS is neurofeedback because it takes a signal from the brain and "feeds that same signal back to the brain." Under this definition, we should now call homeopathy a type of biofeedback.

I am not in a position to definitively say what neurofeedback is or is not. Anyone, including the author, is entitled to define what neurofeedback is. All I can say is that his definition is, at the very least, at the periphery of what the self-regulation disciplines of bioefeedback and neurofeedback are about at their core. Neurofeedback provides feedback to the person so that they can change a behavior or response. The LENS technique makes no attempt whatsoever to include the person in their treatment. It is something that is done to them, not with them.

It is not a "how to" book by any measure. It is an "about" book, from start to finish. The writing is light and easy to read, with only minimal detail about the specifics of the concept, and almost nothing about the actual implementation of the concept. So you won't learn much, other than LENS is wonderful and can help with many intractable conditions.

I believe the book has been given an inappropriate title. In fact, the proper titles are alluded to many times in the text itself, as well as the fact that LENS is a third or fourth generation acronym for the process. Some of the previous names describe it accurately by including the phrase disentrainment technique. The author refers to this throughout the book, so it remains a mystery as to why the technique has now been renamed LENS. Maybe he wanted a sexier title. Maybe he wanted to honor his mentor with an acronym that mimics his first name (Len). Who knows. In any case, I found both the title and subtitle misleading. The process is not neurofeedback. It is a type of electronic homeopathy. Second, the subtitle says "technique' but the book completely ignores the how to of LENS. It is almost entirely about the effects of LENS as presented by anecdotes of individual case studies.

I think this title creates more confusion than clarity, as does the subtitle. But it may be that the author believes it most closely resembles neurofeedback, or that their most likely group to recruit for this specific technique are those who are interested or practice neurofeedback, because they can most readily recognize how or why it would be helpful. But they are philosophically very different in one very critical aspect. In LENS, it is the operator or clinician who is making the choices and going through a learning process. The patient is 100% passive to the process. In biofeedback and neurofeedback, the patient or trainee is actually trying to learn something, or more accurately, to surrender or direct themselves in a way that something their brain is already capable of can more readily or more appropriately happen. With LENS you just get better. The downside of this is that you also become more dependent on a clinician with his black box and proprietary software. If it doesn't work, or if you get worse, then it's back to the clinician for more treatment, which is fundamentally the opposite of learning to self regulate. Yes, it is true that LENS is a method for regulating the brain. To call it self-regulation, when the word `self' refers to the patient's brain, as opposed to the patient who participates in the process of self regulation, is misleading.

This is another "aren't I wonderful, please come to my clinic" book. That's fine, sales and marketing are legitimate business functions and these sorts of books seem to be very popular in alternative medicine circles. But my preference is for books that provide me with useful skills. This book is merely an interesting read about a powerful new technique that is not accessible to the lay person. Neurofeedback, on the other hand, is accessible to the lay person. There are books, training is available, and I can buy hardware, software, and instructional materials so I can do it myself. LENS is only available at special clinics.

Do I think the technique is good? Yes, clearly it is widely beneficial. But this extended sales brochure is neither informative to someone who wants to learn how it is done (that's another seminar / book); nor is it informative to the potential patient who wants to fully understand what is being done to him by the clinician. But it sounds like a very good process, and if I were willing to pay $200+ per hour, wanted to travel somewhere far away, and didn't know what to do with myself for 15 hours of treatment, I would seriously consider it. As of the book's publication in 2006, there were supposedly 200 practitioners worldwide.

The author openly states that those who criticize LENS (Len?) are jealous of his process because they can't figure out how low intensity doses of radio waves for an average of less than 6 seconds per treatment (1 - 5 sites on the scalp) can be so helpful. I hope they are wildly successful, but with the total treatment time so extraordinarily short, they could just as easily make it available to 3 or 4 clients per hour, for 10 minutes of evaluation and 6 to 30 seconds of treatment. I think it is a probably a revolutionary, albeit (author agrees) not new treatment. Approaches to healing that are homeopathic in style have been around for a long time.

The book is simply the author's way of promoting their work, without actually saying much about what they do. Magical proprietary software and hardware do that. LENS' entry onto the alternative therapy scene will be slow and limited, the same as most other alternative therapies that are rolled out in this fashion, available to a select bunch who shell out big bucks for the real training, as opposed to the introduction that you received by buying the book. I strongly believe that if someone goes to the trouble of writing a book, he should also go to the trouble of empowering people to the greatest extent possible. This author doesn't necessarily fail this test, because after all, you now know there is a wonderful new therapy out there, you are creating the demand that future credentialed practitioners need to support a full time practice. But it doesn't pass the empowerment test, either.

Is the author a good guy with good intentions? I'm sure he is. Is the book well written, given what it actually covers? Yes. But is the topic worthwhile, worth sitting down, buying this book, and reading through it? Depends on what your goals are.
1010 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2006
As a clinical hypnotherapist, and a former sufferer of anxiety/panic/bipolar and PTSD, I consider myself fortunate to have found this treatment protocol for my own troublesome disorders. Indeed I have no doubt that this technigue -- LENS --is right on target scientifically and spiritually. That is, by whatever means and name, one must shift the brain-heart's electromagnetic field patterns that have become phase-locked into dysfunctional rhythms in order to invoke a healing that lasts long-term. Whether this is accomplished by a supplemental biofeedback device or a native healer's energetic resonant relationship with the patient, the result can be the same: instant conversion to a state of balance, stability, wellness. I highly-recommend this book as one offering the best of the best ideas focused on faster relief of chronic psychophysiological conditions that have resisted "talk therapy" as well as pharmacological correction heretofore.

Dr. John Jay Harper is author of Tranceformers: Shamans of the 21st Century at and a former mental health counselor with the US Department of Defense.
on June 13, 2006
As a Psychotherapist in private practice, I struggled along with clients who seemed to plateau with traditional talk therapy. I incorporated the LENS technique to my practice over the last year and am thrilled with the results. The case vignettes in this book are reflective of my clinical experience. Dr. Larsen's book is certainly a worthwhile read and LENS is a treatment modality I heartily recommend!
on June 12, 2006
This book was written for both the general public and for clinicians. It explains the use and applications of the Low Energy Neurofeedback System (LENS), which is an advancement in the field that commonly produces more rapid improvements than traditional neurofeedback. Research has been published on the use of LENS with mild head injury and fibromyalgia. Examples are also provided of the use of LENS with ADD/ADHD, learning disabilities, anger and explosiveness, depression, anxiety, insomnia, autism, and developmental disabilities. Cases are even presented on the successful use of LENS in treating problems in animals (dogs, cats, horses). I highly recommend this book and have found in my clinical practice that the results described in this volume are genuine.
on December 1, 2013
I have had LENS as a treatment for TBI- traumatic brain injuries. Concussions as a child from beatings, car accident, and severe allergic reaction resulting in 3 cardiac/pulmonary arrests that severely affected my ability to funtion. I wanted to understand how and why this worked, this book enabled me to do so. I am an RN and the cumulative effects of these traumas no longer allowed me to work. Grey, fuzzy days, unable to remember simple tasks or complete much of anything. This book clearly explains the evolution of this treatment and I am now actually able to function and enjoy life as I haven't been able to do for years. I feel like I have my life back. I feel intelligent again.

If you think this treatment might be for you, and want to explore it further, I do believe this book will help you understand how this treatment came to be and the principles involved. It can be technical, but I found it facinating and enlightning.

The one star rater felt this wasn't biofeedback/neurofeedback. I disagree. LRNS takes the brain wave pattern and offests it by a tiny amount and feeds it back... the brain then tries to follow the new frequency, leaving behind the old, dysfunctional frequency. Certainly seems like neurofeedback to me. Me, the patient, had to put forth no effort or practice, other than attend the appointments. I would live on bread and water to be able to afford these treatments, that is how much difference they have made in my life. Best of healing to you.
on June 12, 2006
I am a Psychologist in private practice who has used the LENS technique for the last year on children and adults. The stories in this book are very close to what I have seen with my own patients. I found Dr. Larsen's book to be well written with a flair for life that is enlightening. I heartily recommend this book.
on November 3, 2009
I haven't read the book, but I was treated with the LENS technology for adult ADHD several years ago. I found that it worked extremely well within a 20-25 session course of treatment. I was able to eliminate use of stimulant medications over that time while signficantly improving my executive functioning.

For example, my short term memory had been horrendously bad and I was sufficiently distractable that I frequently returned from the shopping trips with several items that I didn't really need, but had forgoten one or more badly needed item(s) that had necessitated the trip in the first place. On occasion, this occured even when one of those badly needed items was listed first on a relatively short shopping list. Needless to say, this was very frustrating to me and my loved ones. I haven't had an "empty shopping trip" post-treatment, even when I don't use a shopping list.

The treatement benefits seem to persist for well over a year, but I like to go back annually for a few booster treatements. I do this because it seems to optimizes my work performance.

I would caution anyone using stimulants medications to consider phasing them out (gradualy lowering their doseage) during treatment as I noticed the high doses of stimulant meds I had been on began to give me headaches as the LENS treatments normalized my brain wave patterns. As soon as I reduced the dose of stimulants, the headaches went away. This pattern repeated itself at progressively lower doses until I was free from stimulant meds.

I have recommended the LENS treatment to several family members and friends with ADHD. They have all reported good results, although not all of them were as dramatic as those I experienced. This treatment isn't cheap and needs to be adminstered by an experienced practioner. If you have the money and can find someone near you with enough experience, it is well worth the effort and expense.