Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

86%
14%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 12 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on October 5, 2012
I suffered a right hemisphere stoke ten years ago, After the maximum occupational, physical, and speech therapy allowed by insurance, I functioned ok. I accepted my limitations because I was told that there would be no improvements after six months. Last Dec. I got a coach who encouraged me to work on overall body conditioning, hand therapy, and speech. I speak with her every week and she told me my speech is much improved. So even after 10 years, the brain's neuroplasticity works. I bought this book in addition to several other books thru amazon to learn of experiences by other stroke survivors, and to review for a new website i created in February--[...]
Of the books I've read, this is one of the best. For each of the principles, you need to let go of attitudes, emotions, and behaviors that don't serve you.

The last chapter is a gem to be treasured and shared with anyone who has struggled with difficulties--that is, everyone.
her first principle of transformation is: 'it's the how, not the what.' I had to accept what happened. I was depressed, but then i realized that that feeling was counterproductive and chose to work with what I had, which gradually increased over time.
Her second principle is 'show up.' Blaming circumstances or asking 'why me?' is not helpful. I needed to take responsibility for myself and respond to what life brought me and still brings me. If you say to anyone, including yourself, you 'can't' do something, you give away your power before you even start.
Her third principle is 'open your heart.' When I opened my heart and looked at the world without judgment, I felt love, compassion and hope. I developed a positive attitude so that I was able to learn, with ease joy. comfort and even laughter.
Her fourth principle is 'start from where you are.'--not from where u wish you were. When i started from where i was, i was able to be mindful. create goals, break old habits, and challenge my preconceived notions of what's possible.
Her fifth principle is 'be skillful.' What she means by that is 'the more I'm willing to work and learn to work smarter, the better my chances for positive change will be." I did the best i was capable of each day, and wasn't ashamed to ask when i needed help.
Her sixth principle is 'practice self care.' i learned to forgive my mistakes, and dealt loving with myself and others.
Her seventh principle is 'let go.' As she says, you need to have 'no story,'never knowing in advanced what the outcome would be from your efforts. This lesson was the hardest for me to learn. I had to let go of control. When i was able to appreciate 'the now,' and trust, i was able to work with the unfolding possibilities.
Her eight principle is 'get out of the way.' I learned to accept the fact that i am no better or worse than anyone else, and stopped comparing myself with others, This freed me to be open to endless opportunities.
on November 3, 2014
Alison Bonds Shapiro provides a mix of practical wisdom and inspirational stories in this book about her experiences in recovering from two debilitating strokes. The insights would be helpful to anyone embarking on a healing and recovery journey after a major health challenge. Each person's recovery process will reflect the individual's life experiences and care environment, but I would recommend this book for anyone facing such a situation.
on May 17, 2013
If those around you have not had a stroke and you have this is must read. The information is invaluable.
The medical profession leads you to believe what progress you've achieved by 6 months after a stroke, is it.
This author shares other amazing recoveries which have occurred way after the 6 month period. I took the author's lead and found a chair yoga class and I've used an acupuncturist. Both I know have helped.
Thank you Allison for guiding me into the world of "yes I can" maybe not today but it can and will happen if I work at it.
on March 15, 2016
This book had some deep insights into stroke recovery. Worth a read if you have been dealing with after effects of stroke as a survivor or as a caregiver.
on July 8, 2013
I bought this book for my sister who had a stroke 5 years ago. She loves it and says it has encouraged her greatly and that to read that she is not alone in what she is going through is very helpful for her. A lot of things in the book is relevant to my sister and she has a better view of things now and says the book encourages her to go on.
on November 14, 2016
Found very helpful after my brothers stroke
on January 23, 2014
I have read every book I could find by a stroke survivor, and this is the absolute best of the lot. Very well written and inspiring. I had a major stroke 2 years ago and wish I had found this book then. Never ever give up. The brain is amazing.
on April 1, 2016
Wonderful reading for anyone who has had or knows anyone who has had a stroke!
on June 17, 2014
Love it! It is great for my Mom who is recuperating from a stroke. Provides lots of information about her experiences and is so helpful in understanding recovery. Thank you!
on March 30, 2013
Having survived a stroke at a fairly young age (38) I am trying to read anything I can get my hands on to make sense of why this happened. This book fits in the "has some good information" reading.