Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Healthy Eating, Healthy World: Unleashing the Power of Plant-Based Nutrition
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 20, 2011
Over the last twenty thirty years I have read a number of books dealing with diet and the impact it has on our bodies and our planet. One of the first was John Robbins, Diet for a New America. Healthy Eating Health World picks up where books like Robbins' left off and offers a current, fact based perspective on this critically important topic. It clearly explains how the answer to so many of our own individual health problems and those of the earth on which we reside, can be solved simply by what we choose to eat.

Hicks raises all the right issues but does so in a way that is readily approachable and nonthreatening, even to members of the mainstream medical community, many of whom are not yet enlightened about the subject.

The book is exceptionally well written. I finished it in a few hours not because I am a speed reader but because it is a "great read." Although the topics covered address life and death decisions we make every day, the clever wording and subtle humor make reading it a pleasure.

I am buying copies to give as gifts to family, friends and business associates. I can't think of anything more valuable I could give people I care about.

Robert S. Wyatt, PhD
on September 24, 2011
I note the author's "Blinding Flash of the Obvious - in 2003." The author is a self-proclaimed "Big Picture Guy." He demonstrates this daily in his brief, focused blogs on healthy eating, healthy world on WordPress (hpjmh.com). This just-published book (Sept. '11) lets us have an excellent way to share his education on the huge benefits to health, health costs, environment, world hunger and animal treatment that result by switching to plant-based, whole-foods nutrition.

My family of four has been on this optimal nutrition for best human health program since Jan. 2003 (same year as Hick's "Blinding Flash"), after we all participated in Dr. John McDougall's 10-day "Total Health Solution" Clinic. I am 75 and have no known chronic diseases and do not take any medicines, not even statins, aspirin, and supplements (except for B12). Making the many changes has been an exciting, fun, rewarding journey.

To give a great boost to others to get on this worthy journey, gift them with Jim Hick's powerful educational and motivational book!
on November 4, 2011
Easy to read, easy to understand, easy to get the big picture. If you are ready to make serious, positive, and lasting changes in your life that will improve your health and the planet and are trying to figure out how to do that - Read This Book. Mr. Hicks sends the message very clearly, making it easy to see that a plant-based diet is the right thing to do - for ourselves and our planet. I was already on the hunt to make some much needed changes to my current life-style and this book has been key for me in understanding what good nutrition really is. It's not about being a vegetarian or a vegan. It's about what you DO eat, not what you DON'T eat. I am unlearning what all of us have been taught throughout our entire lives of what constitutes "good nutrition". I was ready to make that paradigm shift and if you are too this book is for you.
on March 15, 2014
This will be short and sweet. Jim Hicks has written the most comprehensive survey of the arguments for every living soul to adopt a plant-based diet presently available. He covers it all. Health. Economic. Environmental. Ethical. It's all here in one very readable volume. My one quibble is that the Leaf program seems to detract from the main thrust of the book. I guess if people won't swallow the whole (no pun intended) story, then maybe less is better than none -- but not much better in terms of health. It is somewhat amazing that someone without a science or medical background was able to pull all of this together AND present it in a logical cogent manner.

I will be recommending Healthy Eating Healthy World to all of my patients. Now if we could just get our legislators to read it. Buy it today and a couple other copies for your family and friends.

BTW, for an excellent video introduction to the reasons to be a vegan, look at the You Tube piece entitled "Why Vegan." If you haven't watched this hour-long lecture to a college class, do so as soon as you can.

My congrats to Hicks for a long-needed summary superbly done!
A light hearted title for a serious book on the inestimable importance of plant-based nutrition, perhaps, but given the warmth of the message in this superb book by J. Morris Hicks and J. Stanley Hicks the universality of the rhyme rings true.

The content of this book is really quite simple, especially if the reader has already read (and hopefully so) THE CHINA STUDY, that important turning point volume by T Colin Campbell. The message? Care for the planet and all the creatures upon it and we may just be able to reverse the damage we've done. Hicks emphasizes that we humans as an `advanced form' of animal made the error in altering the eating methods of like species (he makes much mention of gorillas, chimpanzees, and monkeys in addition to the not so human-like elephants, giraffes, etc) and moved away from eating a herbivore diet, instead opting for a carnivore diet. Contemporary research has proved that the change in dietary approach has introduced such wide spread condition as obesity, diabetes, cancer and premature aging.

This hefty but very accessible tome makes the point that the single most important move we can make if we wish to save the planet and to nurture ourselves and our health and the health of those who follow us is to turn to plant-based diet. And as an added incentive, by making these changes we will also reduce the abuse of `animal farming' and diminish the costs of health care: if we can improve our health and decrease the incidence of diseases promulgated by dependency on animal based food we will reduce the escalating problem of environmental contamination and the need for governmental intervention in healthcare. If anyone has misgivings about this eating approach they only have to read this supportive book, make a shift in how we perceive ourselves and our world, join in this important journey and spread the word. We can do it. `Come together, right now ....' This is a book that belongs on everyone's shelf who believes in bettering themselves and our world. Grady Harp, February 13
on April 11, 2012
I have been "into" nutrition and fitness for most of my life. I remember when "athletic supplementation was raw eggs, raw liver, hoffman wheat germ oil, brewers yeast and plenty of milk.

I am closing on 60 and still work out 1 to 2 times a day.....from weight lifting, pilates reformer, yoga to 3-4 sessions of P90X2 prior to dinner in the evening.

Over the years I was pulled in just about every direction that "nutrition-ism" has taken us. And over the years, the vast amount of clinical data disproving last year's important life-changing data makes your brain swirl. What is real when it comes to feeding a healthy body|????

Prior to reading this book I read (listened to on cd) "Wheat Belly". By reading the data in "Wheat Belly" one becomes very suspicious of putting whole wheat or any wheat based product in one's body. The data made excellent sense and I took some more wheat out of my diet. Not being a heavy wheat eater, it wasn't a big challenge.

But if one listens to "Healthy Eating" ...whole grains in the form of wheat become a health item! hmmmmmmmmmm, are these people cross checking each other's data at any point in time?

I have been a successful direct marketer for a quarter century and at one time I was a distributor for a company that had the exclusive rights to Dr Earl Mindell's nutritional products. During that phase Dr Mindell was heavily focused on the benefits of soy. So we added lots of soy to our diets. Soy is promoted as a healthy alternative to meat in Healthy Eating too...

However, most recent nutritional articles are steering us far far away from soy. First off, it seems that is it not too healthy for us in its natural organic form but more to the point, its almost impossible to find and eat non GMO soy these days....and are we to believe that long term research on franken soy will prove its benefits??? I think not!

I believe it was in the "Omnivore's Dilemna" (Pollard?) where I found my "soul mate" in what I believe is the "Way of Eating" for me. Modification...in everything.

I tend to lean towards a plant based diet, but if I am in the mood for a piece of steak once a month...I cook it up and enjoy it. If I want to stop at the local pizza joint and get a "whole wheat pizza" once or twice a month because I'm just out of enough time to cook or because some friends stopped over....well, I don't get in a tizzy over the whole wheat causing my blood sugar to spike too quickly or the cheese creating an over load of acidity in my body. It's not like I'm gonna eat this stuff every day.

I call ice cream..."crack cocaine" because it has such a delectable and addicting flavor. I especially lover vanilla peanut butte swirl made by the local Blue Ribbon ice cream parlor about 2 miles down the road. I will stop by and get some 2-3 times per year and over a period of possibly 2-3 days I will have a large bowl each evening. I dont wake up in a panic over having consumed sugar and (according to this book...cancer causing milk products!)

My fave "meat item?"..Salmon....and I personally like farm raised salmon better than wild caught..I don't eat salmon every day..so when I am in the mood, I cook some on the grill or in the oven and eat it...was I thinking healthy omegas at the time? No...luckily I almost always have either steamed green beans, asparagus or a huge salad with avocado with my salmon...so once again, the plant based products are there....

I heartily agree that people in the USA and just about every modern place on the planet are way over the top when it comes to unhealthy eating. This book makes a fantastic case for plant based diet.My concern is that most people will not...no, cannot switch over to this kind of diet 100%. I know I couldn't.

If you are going to get caught up in these kinds of books I suggest you continue to stay alert to breaking clinical news on nutrition...it changes just about every 18 months.....will we find out next year that gmo soy has been proven to be good for you..will wheat belly be reversed by new clinical research? One never knows...reading clinical studies for over 20 years has left me in a tizzy!

For me the "life-long" formula has become easier as I got older and more educated on my health
1 Always continue to think young and continue to add new things to your life
2 Keep your body under physical stress....WORK OUT...it only takes 30 to 45 minutes per day!
3 Don't get caught up in the latest nutritional fads
4 Never go on a weight loss diet...they don't work and in the long haul are very very bad for you
5 Eat more plants...but be aware of franken foods....they are a completely different species of food....and no one knows the long term ramifications of eating them
6 Get more DIRT into your life...us baby boomers are clean freaks...we have created a billion dollar "clean industry" to the detriment to our and our childrens's health
7 Whenever your allopathic doctor recommends a prescription realize that in most cases there are natural alternatives that are just as effective without the side effects...all you have to do is some simple research
88 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2013
I have read almost every vegan/plant based diet book on the market; and studied every website imaginable. I thought this book was great. It cuts right to the chase. Highlights just what a new plant based eater needs to know. I would recommend this book. It gives just enough of the information you need. If your new to plant based eating or need a little motivation....read this.
on July 23, 2013
The book gave four good reasons for eating plant foods, one of which is its health benefits, which have been more explicitly covered by other books. However reviewing all the reasons, as this book does, makes it a useful read, only if to remember the four reasons.
on August 5, 2012
J. Morris Hicks presents a clear, well thought out justification for the value of embracing a plant based diet on every level. These important areas include the potential for huge improvements in planetary environmental health because plant based diets on a large scale would greatly reduce green house gases created by the meat and dairy industry. These industries produce emissions that far surpass all those created by transportation. Personal health improvements are documented by third world countries that formerly subsisted on a plant based diet. Third world citizens had not been suffering from the diseases of our western diet such as cancer and heart disease. But now as these countries have adopted the "rich" and meat centered western diet, analysts are finding these diseases are emerging at alarming rates. Finally, the ethical question of eating animals especially raised in factory farms involve cruel mistreatment toward millions of cows, pigs, chickens and other species. This blatant disregard for animals as feeling beings, coupled with severe crowding conditions, make their lives a living hell. I highly recommend this book to people who are questioning or should be questioning their consumption choices. My family has adapted to a primarily plant based diet and have become healthier in spirit and body. J. Morris Hicks provides a daily blog on all topics related to these issues and also lends support by linking us to vegan recipes. He is responsive to emails and questions on related topics.
on April 3, 2014
I have read a great deal of work from a couple authors that lend their arguments and research to this book, and only some of the others, but the overall message is clear: While a whole foods, plant-based diet is key to vibrant health and the prevention/reversal of disease, it is also a powerful tool in helping to end hunger, protect animal welfare, and save the planet. By far my favorite part was the section where they broke down the major arguments against it (i.e. What about protein?) from a nutritional standpoint, supported by sound science. I didn't give it five stars simply because I felt like the authors could have done a better job explaining that this way of eating is far from bland or boring (otherwise we wouldn't eat it!), and I felt it sounded a little too preachy near the end. Though, to be fair, the clock is ticking.