Hear Then the Parable Revised ed. Edition, Kindle Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
"Hear Then the Parable" is an great companion text when studying the parables of Jesus in light of modern scholarship and interpretation.
Bernard Brandon Scott's HEAR THEN THE PARABLE has become a standard commentary on the parables and is used frequently in scripture study classes on the college and graduate level. The work is copious. He gives a thorough background to the literary form known as the parable. He also discusses a number of the parables in depth, examining how they are sued by the different evangelists, looking at them from a literary point of view, and trying to place them in the context of Jesus' ministry. Some of his interpretations can be somewhat far fetched and some readers may even consider them irreverent (as a few of the other Amazon reviewers have noted). Even if a reader does not agree with all of his conclusions, or may consider him somewhat flip, he can't be faulted for his research. He presents in a succinct manner all that is available which is itself a service.
As far as parables are concerned, Scott's book is not the first one I look to for ideas for homilies or Bible study lessons. Pheme Perkins' now out of print HEARING THE PARABLES OF JESUS is my first choice. I suppose it's ironic that I first read Scott's book when I took a course with Dr. Perkins at Boston College. Still, I do refer to it somewhat often when I need an idea clarified. While it may not be the most helpful pastoral commentary, it is great for study. He presents a variety of scholarship in each of his entries and has a large bibliography which can lead a reader to a variety of sources.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Bible Study & Reference > Bible Study > New Testament
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership > Church History
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > History
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Worship & Devotion > Meditations
- Books > History > World > Religious > Christianity
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Worship & Devotion > Inspirational
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Bible Study & Reference > New Testament Study > Bible Study
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Churches & Church Leadership
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Worship & Devotion > Meditations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality > Inspirational