|Digital List Price:||$4.99|
|Print List Price:||$14.99|
Save $11.17 (75%)
A Heart Deceived: A Novel Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I liked it but I can't say I loved it. It felt like I was reading Edith Wharton's House of Mirth again. It just kept going from bad to worse and then on to horrible. It was hard to read about how awful things got for Miri and Ethan. Even with the Christian themes that ran through the book it still felt somewhat hopeless. And as far as the romance goes... I didn't see it. Ethan falls in love way too quickly and Miri is so caught up in all her craziness that it was a little bit of a stretch for me to believe that they were that much in love.
I did read the whole book. I didn't enjoy it a whole lot and it didn't leave me with a really happy feeling. What more can I say?
It's no wonder, therefore, that Miri wants to keep her brother Roland from there. The former headmaster contracted brain fever and was sent to recuperate in the home of a Bedfordshire vicar. But the vicar has gone missing, and Roland is abusive toward his sister both physically and mentally. Today, Miri could have left him and sought assistance, but not in 1795. Ethan's arrival brings light to her life but just when happiness seems within reach, forces conspire to bring heartbreak and despair to all. What follows are extensive descriptions of life in an asylum and at Newgate Prison in London.
A Heart Deceived is a good though often brutal novel. There are several scenes of violence, and the descriptions of life in the London slums, the asylum and the prison aren't exactly pleasant. But there are expressions of faith, and the inclusion of John Newton shows that there is always hope that a person's heart can change. I did, however, have unanswered questions and I felt that some events were a little convenient or easily resolved.
Thank you to David C Cook for my free electronic copy of A Heart Deceived, which I downloaded from NetGalley. No review was required.
If you're looking for historical romance with depth, authentic faith, and a bit of a twist, this is the one for you!
This book has some of the most beautiful description I have seen in any novel. I actually had to try not to continually highlight passages every few paragraphs. There are some fantastic quotes in this book, such as "If men's heads were roses, she'd lop them all off." and "Better to have lunch with a madman than suffer dissection by the town."
Really, there is no particular thing that makes this such an amazing book, it is just an overall lovely experience. I struggle to find a single thing that I don't like about it, other than that I am finished with it and now the next book I read will have to work really hard to impress me this much.
I have certainly found a new author to add to my list of favourites.
This book has a lot of things to love. I will spare us all from me listing them individually. What I will say, is that the plot is compelling, the characters and setting are rich and lively and the ending is so well done there is a solemn feeling of having to leave this novel behind when you finish.
I would recommend this book to anyone. Love it.
This review is based on a digital ARC from the publisher and Netgalley.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Michelle Griep is one of my favorite authors. I read the reviews on this book and was scarred off. Wrong move! Read it quickly!!!! It is excellent! Read morePublished 1 month ago by Historical Christian Fiction Enthusiest
Pretty entertaining story. I am ambivalent toward Michelle Griep, having hated "Gallimore" with a passion but having loved "Mr. Brentwood's Ward. Read morePublished 2 months ago by K
I really enjoyed the book, although the beginning one-fourth to one-third of the book was a confusing start. Read morePublished 3 months ago by K. Shelby
I really enjoyed this book. It was well written and showed Grace, love, and second chances. I highly recommend this book.Published 3 months ago by Jewelry Diva
I liked this book though I was expecting more from the character of John Newton, still the times he was focused on are very memorable and very soul searching.Published 6 months ago by L. Helfert
Michelle Griep as always very well written. It's a darker, real-life story than I usually like. She sprinkles hope throughout, and leaves you satisfied at the end.Published 6 months ago by Rachel Draeger
Review Blitz - A HEART DECEIVED
BOOK REVIEW – A HEART DECEIVED by MICHELLE GRIEP
Family secrets are swept under the rug, hushed. Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Historical
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Romance > Historical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Gothic
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Psychological Thrillers
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Literature & Fiction > Historical
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Literature & Fiction > Romance
- Books > Romance > Gothic
- Books > Romance > Historical
- Books > Romance > Regency
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Regency
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Psychological
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Romance > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Gothic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Historical Romance > Regency