Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 380 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 592 reviews
on July 11, 2015
WOW! If this book does not move you, you have better check your pulse. This review is based on the second reading of the book which I did all in one day - don't do that very often. That is how good the book and story are. Why hasn't someone made a movie of this book/story? While I was reading it I kept asking, is this true or fiction. It is what I call an inspirational novel but again is it a true story? I believe it is. I read it under a different title and the book left me guessing, sort of. It is the story about a German U-Boat that had an incident between crew members just off the coast of Mobile, Alabama during WWII. It left one crew member shot and struggling to just be alive as he washed up on the beaches of Alabama. The story then gets really interesting. A very easy read but hard to put down. I highly recommend it but then that is a very safe recommendation because EVERYTHING Andy Andrews writes is GREAT!
on June 25, 2014
I began reading this book,thinking it was a light story. Was I wrong! I could not put this book down. It is a story of a man who finds some old buttons, pictures, and a silver medal in a can in his backyard when he is moving a tree. His curiosity "uncovers" the fact they were German in origin and he begins to search for the owner. The story is told through the a small town on the Gulf of Mexico and the uboat activity during WWII. This is a story of being human and making choices ( history, loss, forgiveness, friendship, courage, rebirth, etc.)all with thought provoking points that make you think about things in your own life...long after you finish the book.
The writing style makes you feel as though you are listening to a good friend's story
I want to read all of Mr. Andrews books.
on May 27, 2017
I loved that this book was basically a true story and it was about a topic of history that I never knew existed. I've read lots of WW II historical novels but nothing about fighting in the Gulf of Mexico. It was a fast read, holding my attention easily.
on May 20, 2016
I so enjoyed this story. I go to the Gulf Shores area every summer and never realized there were subs in the Gulf during WW II. I would love to
sit down and have a cup of coffee with Andy and his wife during our next visit there. This story has given me such a broader connection with the Gulf Shores area. My yaya friends and I chose this book to read for our book club and will be discussing it next week on our beach trip in Gulf Shores. The best part to me, besides the area setting, was the forgiveness factor. Forgiveness is so liberating and was a key element to the story.
Thanks for telling the story Andy!! Kudos!!
on December 3, 2015
I loved this book. It has elements of love, mystery and history. It is basically a flashback to World War II on the Alabama/Florida coast. A man, a writer, finds a packet of German mementos under a rotted tree and finds out all about who left it there. What he finds out is the impact of WWII on a small town in the 40s and the people who lived there. There are many elements such as attempted murder, a cruel Nazi spy, smuggling by an American to the German navy, and the personal lives of those that lived in a small beach town during the war. There is a little surprise at the end. It was a quick read and I enjoyed reading something different with a bit of American life during the war here in the USA.
on January 25, 2017
The first 10% of the book was dull as the basis of the plot was laid out. The rest of the book flowed pretty well but very predictable. The characters lacked depth. The lessons are not subtly woven into the plot. Rather the characters preach. Interesting in that it is based on a true story.
on April 9, 2017
I love this book!! I teach high school English and my students are currently reading The Heart Mender. It's so interesting historically and has a great lesson to be learned in practicing forgiveness. The narrating on CD by Andy Andrews is great!! I highly recommend this book!!
on October 27, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and Andy Andrews writing technique. It was also a very important history lesson for me. I had forgotten about the U boats in our coastal waters during WWII. The weaving of the characters and story line intrigued me as it began in one time period and then moved back in time to tell the story. Don't want to give it away, but to say it was a page turner and a quick read. Really enjoyed the thoughtful questions at the end of the book.
on May 12, 2017
A great story of how hard it is to forgive. Not all Germans are Nazis or all Americans Klu Klux clanners.
on July 9, 2016
What a captivating story. There was so much to take in. To realize that our shores had been breached during WWII was a mild shock. I do remember hearing about the Robert E. Lee so I knew there was activity close to shore, this was just more than I thought.
The Love story of both Mr. and Mrs. Newman, and Danny are a testament to true love. What a beautiful love story.
Thank you Andy Andrews for writing this story. You're right, it is a testament to forgiveness.