Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc August Greene All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on October 4, 2012
Kat spends her summer vacation as a babysitter for her nephew and niece. She knows that after their parents' death her older sister Julia went through a great deal of trouble to take care of her and babysitting is the way Kat is trying to return the favor. However, Julia is giving her a really hard time, even more so after Kat has met Danny, a local builder, and the two youngsters fall in love with each other. The more the summer advances, the more serious the relationship between Danny and Kat becomes and the more Julia tries to separate the two lovers. - Until she finally succeeds.

Six years later Danny has become a well-known local builder who aspires to make his business known on national basis. His business partner contacts the best magazine in their trade and invites its best journalist to infomercial their company - and so Danny and Kat meet again. But can they revive their romance?

Danny and Kat were plausible main characters, their feelings and reactions mostly comprehensible, realistic and genuine.

The story line started in the present, flashed back to the past and returned flawlessly again to the present. The author provided a lot of emotional insight on how the hero/heroine felt during the different stages of their relationship. Generally, the main plot was well written and entertaining. There was a subplot that had to do only with Kat. This part of the book blended perfectly with the main plot and offered the necessary suspense element.

Speaking in general terms, the romance between Danny and Kat didn't develop quickly and tried to focus on their complex feelings. Mostly this was well done and entertaining enough. However, towards the middle of the book this endeavor became a bit tiresome and reminded me of a "casual" romance novel.

In any case, this was a nice and entertaining read.
on May 29, 2013
This is a beautifully written story about first love, heart break, and a second chance several years later.

Kat and Danny met when she was staying on the island for the summer between college semesters. Her sister was very strict and she had to hide her part-time job and spending time with Danny.

When Kate and Danny meet again about 6 years later, he finds out that she changed her name and is now a writer for a magazine on architecture and his business is her next project. He doesn't want anything to do with her because of the way she left him several years ago. She left him to protect him but wouldn't tell him anything except that the relationship wouldn't work. During the time apart, neither one got over the other one. Danny still loves her but doesn't want to get close to her since he doesn't trust her. When Kate sees Danny, she feels that connection to him again, that she's never found anywhere else.

Details start coming out about why Kate left, her family issues, her change in college, etc., and her belief that Danny married right after their breakup.

The breakup has been used in many stories but Ms. Hayes makes it believable and doesn't let the characters just jump back into a relationship. Danny just isn't sure he can trust Kate and that causes heart break. I shed a few tears for both Danny and Kate. I loved the ending of the story and look forward to reading more of Ms. Hayes' books.
on August 12, 2014
Cute book! Really enjoyed reading it and would recommend to others. I love learning something new through books. It was a nice change to read about an architect and the environmental friendly ideas for the future. Only two complaints I have. I wished for more with Kyle and Kate's relationship. I understand it was just the brother, but I felt after the way it started between those two was sooo sweet and was hoping for more. Even after Kate came back for her article, I was hoping there would be something mentioned about the two reconnecting on a pure friendship basis of course. Last complaint is the ending. Danny was a real jerk toward the end and I felt like the readers were left with a wham bam thank you ma'am kind of ending. Just wished there was more to it and a little softer around the edges. Other than that, it was sweet, HEA book!!
on July 28, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. I thought it was well planned when the author wrote it, it had a beginning a middle and a ending all wrapped up in a bundle of pure joy. I honestly could not put it down. It had all the elements of betrayal, lies, love, and pain. This is the second book I've read of the author, and plan to read the next one in this series. I honestly do not ever reading a story that captured my emotions the way this one did. I also wasn't sure how it was going to end, with that said to me it was not predictable.
Do I recommend it, oh yes, I do.
on January 1, 2015
Great story! Great book... I'm a sucker for romance hence the name.. Obsessed w/ romance.. This book has it all.. The innocent beginnings, the drama from outsiders, the meddling family that thinks they know better, the passion between Danny and Kat/Kate.., the heartache.. Oh goodness my heart ached for these two.. For Nona.. For Julia cause she was just soo lost! The HEA.. After more heartache! This was an awesome read! Pick it up. You won't be disappointed!
on April 17, 2013
This was a very good book and I enjoyed it very much. Did not give it 5 stars because of the foul language and taking God's Name in vain. Don't know why writers think this adds anything to the story. Believe me, it doesn't. Danny and Kat/Kate were very well-written characters, and there was lots of dialogue and interaction between the two, which I always look for in a romance. Found myself strongly disliking Julia and all her manipulative ways. But, she found herself right where people like her usually do--all alone. I recommend this book and hope you enjoy reading it.
on September 14, 2012
I have never been more moved by a story than I was with this one. The characters were strong willed and very believable. Some times too believable and I think that's why I became so emotional over it. It was a book that just walks in and takes over, even after you've finished the book. Even now, days later, I still find myself thinking about the things Kate & Danny had to go through to get where they are today. Both of them have been burned by people in their past lives, but in totally different ways. So for them to lose trust so easily in another person, is very understandable. Learning how to accept and trust another person again, was the real problem that stood between these two.

Danny fell head over heels in love with Kat Fordham six years ago. He was from the poor side of town with his father and deaf brother, while Kat lived in the rich district with her sister and her family. But that didn't stop their love for one another from blossoming, in fact they defied their friends and family both in order to be together. That is until one day when Kat tells him it's over, she also claims she never loved him after all. What Danny doesn't know, is that Kat was just try to save his job and his reputation.

You see; her sister had told her that if Kat didn't call this love affair off, she would make sure she got Danny fired and ruin his reputation in the process. Kat was still young and naive, so she didn't realize how much more Danny cared for here than he did his job. Kat also knew that Danny worked his fingers to the bone in order to help put his deaf brother through school. The deaf school that Kyle went to was very expensive and Kyle needed it to survive in this world. If Danny lost his job, Kyle would lose his schooling. Kat decided that there was no way she could live with herself, if something like that happened to Danny's younger brother, Kyle.

Now six years later Kat is back in town to do an interview with him about his building practices, but he doesn't realize it's her since she's going by a totally different name.

Kat has been through hell and back herself in the last six years, too. In fact she's been through a whole complete life change since she's left there six years ago. There were very devastating secrets within her family, that came out after she had left. Those devastating secrets ended up changing her life forever, the only thing that remained the same war her deep love for Danny..

Would I recommend this book? Yes, in fact I'd advise you to go download this book as fast as you can.
on February 29, 2012
I had downloaded Dodge the Bullet because it was free from this author. It was such a good read, I immediately purchased Heart of Glass because of the 9 5star reviews. And of course the best stories are of true loves lost and meeting again someday. It sounded like a great story. So of course I had to be the 10th 5 star review.
The setting of the story was great. The characters in this book were awesome. Loved them all (except Julia of course, but the part was well written). I too loved how the characters truly struggled and worked to overcome their heart breaks and how it took time/wasn't instant. I also enjoyed how the author wrote the book in two parts of 6 years prior/6 years later. There were a lot of things that I least expected to happen and did not see coming which were also enjoyable.
Great read!!! I will be reading others from this author.
on January 12, 2014
I really enjoyed this book, The characters were well developed and the different situations were very well done and believable. I enjoyed reading this book and then went on to the sequel, kind of a sequel with the Sweetheart Hoax. I recommend this if you want a great , nice, romance that is enjoyable. I still think about it and that is a good sign for me. Meaning I liked it. I do recommend it. Just so you know I really enjoy most of Christy Hayes books. My favorites so far are: #1. Dodge the Bullet- really enjoyed. #2. Shoe Strings- liked it and the characters. #3. Heart of Glass
#4. Mend the Line-Golden Rule Outfitters, kinda sequel to Shoe Strings. #5. SweetHeart Hoax, kind of a sequel , at least some of the characters were the same from Heart of Glass.

Highly recommend most of Christy's books. Hope this helps you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 10, 2011
What do you do when you read a book you like? I buy another from the same author. I picked this one to read next because it's summer and the cover is the beach. I am not very good at narrative reviews, so here are a couple of notes:

This book is a little different because the first part of the book is about what happened in the past and then transitions to the present toward the end. The pacing was good, and I didn't lose track of who was where and when it happened.

This book deals with decisions made when we are inexperienced at making them. Some of the scences really pulled at my heart strings. The supporting cast of characters was interesting and I hope that there is another book about Julia floating around somewhere.

I also enjoyed the author's presentation of the local beach community in contrast with the newer, wealthier developments.

Several surpises throughout and at the end. Great book to read when you want to relax and be somewhere else.