- File Size: 446 KB
- Print Length: 125 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publication Date: June 6, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00KTT0SUO
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,443,729 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Heart's Desire (Music Box Book 3) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
It's a terrific second chance story. I loved that it took place in the 50s and in Vancouver, Canada. I was swept away in time and place. The characters felt very real. Though both Mavis and Will eagerly embark on renewing their relationship, it's not easy for them, which also made the situation authentic. I ached for what they went through and was inspired by their courage. I've already heartily recommended this book to others.
Mavis and Will fall in love in college. But the disapproval—sometimes violent—that they faced as an interracial couple strained their relationship, and Will impulsively joined the Navy.
When the novel opens, seven years have gone by. Mavis is now a teacher in Vancouver, and Will comes back into her life. But their joy at being reunited is tempered by hostile reactions from their friends and family.
This excellent novel was not always enjoyable: I had a hard time reading about Mavis' pain when people she considered friends and good people revealed their true colors as bigots. I was constantly afraid that someone would kill Mavis or Will or both.
I am giving the book five stars because:
(1) It presented an accurate picture of the problems interracial couples encountered in the past (and sometimes still do)>
(2) Despite the sad parts, overall the novel presented a message of hope.
(3) Mavis and Will had more chemistry as a couple than most couples in romance novels.
(4) I enjoyed watching these two strong people face the need to be even stronger and was invested in whether they would crack or succeed.
(5) The novel demonstrates the power of love and compassion.
Recommended for all romance readers.
the girl who lived next door to Adam when Bridget was taking care of Adam's son. This is the story of her love for Will, a Negro man, and the problems they deal with. Good Story and loveable characters.
Ms. Hughes put all these details into a book that was so touching, so real, and so honest.
Who is anyone to look down on someone else? Who says who we should and should not love?
This is one book that everyone should read...they might learn something important. I know I did.
Beyond the lesson that flows through the racial issue, ever present for Mavis and Will, there is a touching love story that unfolds. Torn apart by circumstances, which are only partly racially motivated, they are reunited years later, only to find their feelings have matured and grown.
I am looking forward to the next book, where I can learn more about Mavis and Will, as I follow their journey together. Susan R. Hughes does a masterful job of drawing you into her characters, they feel like people you know, friends you might have and people you will cheer for along their journey. When I read a book I want to be taken away and this book and this author do that for me.
I highly recommend this book and plan to read more from Susan R. Hughes.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Contemporary Women
- Books > Romance > Historical
- Books > Romance > Multicultural
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Women's Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Historical Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Multicultural & Interracial