Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11,498 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14,370 reviews
on January 31, 2013
I've been a student of scripture for over 20 years, and have found nothing in this book to be esoteric, or out of order scripturally. I really like how they list the scriptures that support little Colton's experience in the back of the book. My only problem was that I felt it took too long to get to the heaven part. The first half of the book reads more like the trials and tribulations of the Burpo family than it does a description of what heaven is like. I guess it was necessary because it makes the story more credible. Had it not been for the text to speech function on my Kindle however, I may have lost interest before it got to the good part. Maybe they should come out with a Cliff Notes version, or better yet, a movie for those like me who have short attention spans.

Once we got to the second half however, the book really picked up. When I got to the end, I kind of had that "it's over already?" feeling you get when you watch a good movie that ends too abruptly. It almost makes me wonder when the sequel is coming out. Thankfully there will be a sequel coming out. Except I'm not looking for another book, I'm looking forward to the real thing. This book will really make you think about heaven, and will give you that "I can't wait to get there" feeling.

FYI, there are lots of interviews with the Burpo family on Youtube. Check them out.
on March 27, 2014
I began very skeptical and even a bit bothered by some of the flowery descriptions of time, place, scenery, etc...I think I was hoping or expecting more of a clear and linear description and story. But I stuck with it, and came to see that the details were quite helpful in the end. Who knows, maybe it was bad pizza that made my initial perspective so negative, but in the end, I see the description and reporting of what Colton saw in heaven as a truly encouraging reminder, and nothing less than completely validating of my faith. The Bible is NOT just a story. It is THE story...a true reporting of our history. Heaven (literally) knows that thousands have tried unsuccessfully to prove the Bible to be false. No wonder God appreciates the pure and open mind of a child. I encourage you to read this book...if it gets slow, stick with it. And remember ... Heaven IS for REAL!!
on July 10, 2014
This little boy has seen the true heaven! I should be dead by all rights.. I knew there was a higher power "God" when I was at my worst, I wanted to die so bad because of the pain I was in.. My faith today is so strong!! My sister was born and lived for three hours, I believe thru Colton's story, that she is in heaven, I kinda always believed it, but that little boy reassured me.. My mom has recently passed away from cancer, but somehow I know that she is with my sister in heaven! My faith in God will always be strong.. Why? So much has happened in my life to make me understand that heaven and God are real..I have two diseases, MS and Crohn's, but it's ok because I look at my life as a blessing and not a curse! I know that God has always been there for me and one day, I hope to live in his kingdom.. This book just proves that there is and always will be faith in our hearts! Colton, thank you for the "magic" of your journey! Stay Strong little one, you are one of Gods children!
on May 31, 2014
I have never been so convinced ever before that heaven is real. This book solidifies my belief. I always thought of the holy spirit as white like a dove but after reading this book I know he is not. The book tells me I have to change, to acquire the gentleness of a child not the harshness of an adult. I believe now that even though we all do some bad things that God loves us, really loves us. I also believe that Jesus is more beautiful than I ever thought. Reading this book has made me concretely believe there is a heaven and it is more beautiful than I ever imagined in my wildest dreams. This book gave me an inner peace and contentment I never knew I could feel. This book gives me the direction I have always prayed for. I believe in God the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit.
on July 7, 2011
Heaven is for Real is a book for believers. It is the story of a little boy, who enters heaven while undergoing emergency surgery. Over the course of months and years after the surgery, certain comments are made by the boy, that make his dad (a pastor) wonder if his son truly went to heaven. The boy, Colton, points out a series of things that he could have otherwise never known about had he not visited heaven, such as meeting a sister who he never knew his mother had previously miscarried, and meeting his dad's Pop. Though these, and other things presented in the book are interesting, and may be "proof" of heaven, I'd be interested to see this book from a non-believers viewpoint. As someone who already believes in heaven, the boy's experience seems to have been for real, however, I do not believe this to be a book that non-believers would suddenly read and "see the light."

It's also kind of a slow read, though quick at the same time. The story seems VERY drawn out, narrated by the viewpoint of Colton's father. It is more like he is giving a presentation, than trying to engage the reader in the story. It goes in circles, from talking about a vacation that the family goes on, where Colton first makes a comment, then back to before that event, and then back again up to the event. Still, despite the weird style of the book, it's something that one who believes in God or heaven may enjoy.
on July 16, 2013
I was taught that before we are born an angel puts a finger above our mouth and whispers "Shhh, forget.." and that's where the groove under our nose comes from (it has a name, but I forget what it is). I have known several people who have had near-death experiences -- all report that while the vision is vivid at first, it fades fast. The vision is "set" in our memory by telling the tale. Later it is the re-telling that we remember. So, when the child keeps remembering more new details over time, I find that not credible. I remember an actress, Angie Dickenson I think, who had an NDE and woke up knowing the purpose of life. She thought to herself "Oh, it is so simple. And how wonderful that I am in the communications business! I can tell the world!" Intrigued, the witness asked "Wow, what is it?" Ms Dickenson replied "I have no idea, I forgot!"
on June 1, 2014
I really did enjoy this book. I decided to read it when my mom mentioned it to me and, perhaps shamefully, when I saw that it was made into a movie. When I first purchased it, I thought it would just be an account of a little boy's exceptional experience. There are many, many stories by various people with similar tales, so I thought this book wouldn't be any different. The fact that this experience happened to a little boy may have been the driving decision to purchase this book instead of one based on an adult's experience. I do trust children more so than adults when it comes to truth-telling.

However, even though it is about a little boy's experience, the way this book is written became a source of incredible learning. I consider myself Nondenominational. I do not attend church and I have only read bits and pieces of the Bible. I am not as "devoted" as I probably should be. That's why I believe this book spoke volumes to me.

Todd Burpo includes references to the Bible that really do match up to his son's experience, but what I got most out of this book was learning about the power of God, the love He and Jesus shares for everyone, and how pure honesty is so much louder than selected prayer. You have to read the book to know what I'm talking about. The most incredible thing about this book is that I actually felt enlightened. I did not expect that from reading this. I was enlightened.

Even if you don't believe a word in this book, I do feel that there is something to learn. This book was quite surprising and I'm glad I've read it.
on March 19, 2014
My wife and I first read this book when her 30-some year old son died three years ago. The most compelling and comforting parts of the book are the story of the little boy (Colton) seeing the grandpa HE NEVER MET - in Heaven (pg. 84 ff), and the sister he never met (stillborn) (pg. 94 ff).

There are tons of Near Death Experience books etc, out there - but I felt that most were done for the sake of profit.

Clearly this book was not.

BTW - the family was interviewed by Matt Lauer on Today - a very compelling interview.

Finally, my precious wife of 34 year died a year later. The contents of this book brought me great comfort - and I used the two excepts mentioned above in her memorial service.

This book is a blessing to anyone who is loosing or has lost a loved one.
on September 23, 2014
After hearing about the tragic hospital incident, the book left me wondering what else could evolve from the first two chapters. In other words, I feel the author got his point across effectively, but the book lost me after Burpo's son healed. Another thing that bothered me is the author's stance about Heaven is for real. I mean, the father is a pastor and he runs a church etc. He preaches every Sunday, theoretically yet he is so shocked that Heaven is for real. I mean.....did he just realize how real Heaven is. We hear about heaven in Sunday school and what it will be like. This book wasn't anything new to me, not that I'm a holy righteous person. It's just gave me this... "well duh..." kind of feel.
on June 5, 2012
I enjoyed this book, even though I consider myself an agnostic. I do believe that there is evidence from near death experiences, that there is something beyond. I did hospice care for a while and educated myself on death and dying, one book, "Final Gifts" was terrific and anything by Elizabeth Kubler Ross.

The thing about this book if you think about it, was that it was written by a minister in a church. The son of the father (the minister) was taught about Jesus, the devil and angels all his life. So, when he was not yet even 4 years old and had this experience, when he was unconscious, I believed that he visualized what he was taught. Then as he got older, he was able to verbalize it better.

If you read or watch documentaries about people who have had near death experiences, they all talk about similar things. The feelings of being loved and safe, the light, the tunnel...able to see their own bodies from above them. Describing things that they could not know unless they were actualy there to see it, but questionable since they were unconscious at the same time. I find the topic facinating, even what this small child experienced is notable.

The book was easy to read, flowed and was interesting. It was a bonus that it was inexpensive too. I loved reading it on my tablet.

Shar