Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 10, 2014
I liked everything about this book and Colton's descriptions of Jesus, God, & the Holy Sporit. The way he described Heaven was so familiar to me because during my mother's last days she described Heaven and how the colors of Heaven were not like the colors we see here on earth. She described hearing my brother who passed away two years before her; also describing the stairway to Heaven (all what she described and what Colton described is backed up by the scriptures). Reading Heaven is For Real brought back memories of my last days with my Mom and knowing I will see her again. Thanks to the Burpo family for sharing your family to the world by writing this book. This book and Colton's experience in Heaven truly blessed me. I want to share this book with a young couple I know whose baby passed away at 2 months. They know he's in Heaven and I think the way Colton talked about the sister who was miscarried and how he met her in Heaven is very comforting.
13 people found this helpful
on January 28, 2013
This was truly such an uplifting and inspirational story that helped me get through a really tough time in my life, when it seems like nothing else could give me hope. There is so much speculation whether this could be true or not but in my opinion, true or not, it really helped open my eyes up a little bit. I believe that the Burpo's honestly believe each and every word that was written and prove to be excellent examples for how to live your life. No one will ever know the truth of the matter until your time comes, and then you won't be able to share it with others, so what does it hurt to just believe a little now?

As being a mother who has also lost a child to miscarriage, it helped me find some peace and understanding that I had not been able to find in the seven years since the miscarriage.

I think I can honestly say that there has been no book that has impacted me quite like this one, to where I can say I still think about it over a year after reading it!

In my opinion, you can't go wrong reading this book, even if it's just to give yourself a little spiritual uplifting (and I am not the most spiritual person, by far - even though I should be!)

Truly touching! There isn't one person that I would not recommend this book to!
9 people found this helpful
on June 1, 2014
I really did enjoy this book. I decided to read it when my mom mentioned it to me and, perhaps shamefully, when I saw that it was made into a movie. When I first purchased it, I thought it would just be an account of a little boy's exceptional experience. There are many, many stories by various people with similar tales, so I thought this book wouldn't be any different. The fact that this experience happened to a little boy may have been the driving decision to purchase this book instead of one based on an adult's experience. I do trust children more so than adults when it comes to truth-telling.

However, even though it is about a little boy's experience, the way this book is written became a source of incredible learning. I consider myself Nondenominational. I do not attend church and I have only read bits and pieces of the Bible. I am not as "devoted" as I probably should be. That's why I believe this book spoke volumes to me.

Todd Burpo includes references to the Bible that really do match up to his son's experience, but what I got most out of this book was learning about the power of God, the love He and Jesus shares for everyone, and how pure honesty is so much louder than selected prayer. You have to read the book to know what I'm talking about. The most incredible thing about this book is that I actually felt enlightened. I did not expect that from reading this. I was enlightened.

Even if you don't believe a word in this book, I do feel that there is something to learn. This book was quite surprising and I'm glad I've read it.
on September 20, 2014
I bought this Kindle Fire version because I previously bought the book, but hadn't read it for a while. After I saw the movie, I just had to read the book again because I knew there were a lot of things changed from the book. I love this book. It is well written. It doesn't embellish facts, but tells them like they happened, the bad with the good, like Todd Burpo yelling at God because he didn't think it was fair that so many bad things were happening to his family. I enjoyed the movie, but I enjoyed reading the book so much more and I highly recommend it. It really is an astounding story.
on June 5, 2012
I enjoyed this book, even though I consider myself an agnostic. I do believe that there is evidence from near death experiences, that there is something beyond. I did hospice care for a while and educated myself on death and dying, one book, "Final Gifts" was terrific and anything by Elizabeth Kubler Ross.

The thing about this book if you think about it, was that it was written by a minister in a church. The son of the father (the minister) was taught about Jesus, the devil and angels all his life. So, when he was not yet even 4 years old and had this experience, when he was unconscious, I believed that he visualized what he was taught. Then as he got older, he was able to verbalize it better.

If you read or watch documentaries about people who have had near death experiences, they all talk about similar things. The feelings of being loved and safe, the light, the tunnel...able to see their own bodies from above them. Describing things that they could not know unless they were actualy there to see it, but questionable since they were unconscious at the same time. I find the topic facinating, even what this small child experienced is notable.

The book was easy to read, flowed and was interesting. It was a bonus that it was inexpensive too. I loved reading it on my tablet.

Shar
on February 26, 2015
Item arrived in good condition before ETA. The true story of a 3 year old boy with a ruptured appendix. After being rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery, he died and went to Heaven. He experienced several events there, including a meeting with his sister who was miscarried at 2 months old. He also met Messiah and his great grandfather, giving details of the events. Unfortunately, upon his return he was met with scoffers including his parents. For a movie intended to get folks beyond their 5 senses, it was used to stir and strengthen our faith. Besides, if you can explain [away] everything, what's left to believe in? Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things NOT seen.
2 people found this helpful
on May 13, 2018
This is one of the most believable accounts of similar occurrences that I have read. It is an easy read and is an excellent tool to use as a Christian mission tool. Colton's identification of the "real" picture of "the Jesus that he saw", agreed with the painting that Akiane Kramarik painted of Jesus when she was 8 years old. This was incredible and believable. I have bought several copies to share. I highly recommend this book.
One person found this helpful
on April 9, 2014
By far this book is the most amazing thing I've had the privilege to read in a very long time. It's definitely an eye opener and even if you're dabbling with the idea of heaven, as I was, it makes you stop and wonder. In the book it talks about those who can't believe without seeing and in many cases that is me to the letter, but truly, as it says in the book "isn't that the point of faith, to believe without seeing?" … Truly a remarkable read and I recommend this to everyone, faith or no faith...take the time and read it.
on February 26, 2013
I liked that this book was a quick, easy read. A good one to stick in your purse & read while in the waiting room, etc. I also liked that it was very thought-provoking. It made me ponder quite a bit about Heaven and provoked some interesting conversations for my family. I enjoyed Colton's recollections and the Burpo family seems like a very nice family.

The reason for the three stars is a little difficult for me to put into words. I guess I was a little turned off, to be honest, the way the story was told by Pastor Burpo. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it almost seemed to be a little, well... preachy and full of propaganda. I am usually not such a cynical person, but it gave me the feeling that Mr. Burpo was trying to do a bit more than just lift the faith of others.

I hope it's all true...every last word of this book. But this one had a normally open-minded person thinking a little more skeptically.
3 people found this helpful
on September 10, 2011
This was a well written book, as it should be - from a story related by Pastor Todd Burpo to best selling conservative author Lynn Vincent, who also wrote Sarah Palin's book "Going Rogue". As a Christian, I see it, like the popular book "The Shack", as a beautiful little parable on what Heaven may be like, and a pretty good synopsis of the prominent Evangelical view of Christianity. As a Christian, I also find it hard to believe that it is meant to be a true story. For one thing, the boy's stories, which came to light over a period of several years after he was miraculously saved from death by prayer (which I do believe), picture a heaven where Jesus wears a beard and sits on a throne on the right of his father, God, who sits on a larger throne. The Holy Spirit is "sort of blue", and everyone else there has wings, Angels as well as those who have died and arrived there - because "they had Jesus in their heart." While this agrees with many people's concept of heaven and angels, there would be a few problems for a serious theologian. For example, the Bible does not say angels have wings (which are useful only in air), or that people in heaven are angels. Only the cherubim and seraphim, very strange creatures and not humanlike at all, are said to have wings (six each). In other words, the child's stories are much more like Children's Bible Stories or Sunday School than they are like the multilevel Heaven that Paul tells of, where he heard and saw things that could not be described to man.

Not wanting to judge and accuse the Pastor of creating this whole thing to sell books (which he undoubtedly will), I came up with a possible explanation: The little boy obviously had an active imagination when playing with his action figures. He may not have actually remembered much of what really happened, and may have imagined much of it - possibly made up things in response to questioning - in the years following the incident, and as he heard more input from Sunday School and his father's preaching. On the other hand, maybe he did remember Heaven, and maybe we will all see heaven as we want it to be - now that really would be Heaven. In any case it is a short book, well written, containing a summary of Evangelical Christian beliefs, and I think worth reading.
2 people found this helpful