Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Wonderstruck GNO for iPhone 8 $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 19, 2015
Don't waste your money on this. Spend more and get something that's not going to break the first time you use it.

I purchased this to get through bones such as chicken and pork shoulder roasts. The very first time I used it happened to be on a pork shoulder bone. On the first strike a piece of metal actually BROKE off of the cleaver and stayed in the meat. Incredibly unsafe. Pictures are attached for reference.
review image review image
55 comments| 153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 4, 2013
$10. Not worth it. The blade is no thicker than most of my chefs knives at the base (though chefs knives taper towards the tip).Also despite the fact it is almost twice the size of my 8" chefs knife it is not much heavier! With this cleaver I attempted to halve an average sized chicken thigh. I can accomplish this feat with some effort using the lower 2/3 of one of my chefs knives. Skin side down on cutting board. Bone facing up. WHACK! This cleaver did not even cut thru the skin. I thought this cleaver would reduce the effort required. It does not. If you have multiple items in your box sift thru carefully to find this becuse it is packaged sheathed in paper and wrapped in bubble wrap. I gave it 2 stars becuse "I dont like it" as the star rating system indicates. It arrived, it is new, the handle is countoured, it's not defective and MAYBE I can find some other use for it.
on August 16, 2017
For the price you can't get a better cleaver than this. Comes out of the package sharp enough to slice paper. Mine was a little loose where the handle and tang meet closest to the blade, but for this price I don't expect perfection and I can put some epoxy in there to seal it up. It's a good, sharp, sturdy cleaver. If you're looking to expand your kitchen arsenal with a reliable cleaver and don't have much money, this is the only way to go.
on June 29, 2017
Massive Chinese Style Cleaver, it is huge. Nice hollow ground edge. The wooden handle is cheap, and rattles a little bit on this cleaver. Make sure you really want an 8 inch cleaver. This chopper will not fit in the cleaver slot on any normal butcher block, and it dominates a drawer, if you put it in the kitchen drawer. I hang mine on the wall.
on September 21, 2013
For the price, I expected this to be a more utilitarian item. It needed better sharpening when I got it, but I've seldom bought a knife of any type that didn't. The stainless seems to hold an edge well, which is not the case with many stainless grades. Some of these are made from high carbon iron and would, no doubt, take a better edge, but I didn't care to deal with rust issues on a blade that will often be washed. I've seen ads for some made of many-layered (Damascus style) steels like Japanese swords used to be, but they cost a fortune. All in all, this is a very nice inexpensive compromise.
I wasn't sure what kind of a cleaver I really wanted so I actually bought 2 different cleavers. This one with the wooden handle is for meats ONLY and it's so sharp that it could cut through thin air & not leave a ragged edge. I really mean it. It cuts through meat fibers so easily and so well, that this is the reason it's been designated for meats only. I've not had it long enough to determine how long it'll stay sharp but I have an idea that it'll do quite well. I hand wash it of course because of the wooden handle & because it's how this type of cutlery should be handled. Thanks for this cleaver. I love it.
on February 27, 2016
Well; actually, it's my son who loves it. It's the only knife in the kitchen he now uses (seems like). This has its proper uses and the cleaver has good weight and balance, stays sharp. As with all knives, they work best when kept sharp.
on January 22, 2016
Heavy duty, great high quality without the crazy price tag. I use it in my professional kitchen a few days a week and its lasted lobger than some of the $50-$100 ones ive used and bought. Very thick, full tang, heavy great knife
on July 14, 2014
Hard cold facts: Total weight 15 oz. (digital postage scales), 8 inches long by 3.5 inches wide and 0.10 inches thick (almost one eight of an inch) with an out-of-the cardboard sheath polish which is a mirror finish. Metal is slightly magnetic (indicates stainless steel with some carbon steel). [Stainless steel was never intended to hold an edge, but you can not find a true carbon steel blade anymore. They rust if you do not take care of them and turn a dark grey if you do...just not pretty.] The cleaver has a full tang with two wooden side pieces for a handle. The wood is held to the full tang with three brass rivets. Should the rivets become loose, as others have commented, I plan to use a hammer and punch set to tighten them. That action failing, I would drill out the rivets and replace them with machine screws.
The wood is finished with a light reddish tan stain which I find "cheap" looking. (Reminds me of the stock color on a Chinese SKS rifle copy of an AK-47.)
All that said, I am pleased with my purchase and have a fix for the small issues (like the two nicks in the edge). At these prices I do not mind taking a little time to make this my own.
on November 10, 2016
For the price, it can't be beat. I've had an easier time hacking into my coconuts with other cleavers in the past, but for the price, I honestly can't complain. I sharpened it a bit, and it helped. The handle seems a bit loose though, I think I recall other reviewers complaining about the handle as well. However, like I said, I can't really complain about a $10 cleaver.