Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 27, 2013
I've used my clamps a total of 4 times for simple 20min-1 hour gigs clamping cloth backgrounds to wires. 2 days ago I used them to clamp on to small PVC 1/4" pipe. Far from taxing their abilities... or so I thought. After about 2 hours of being clamped to the pipe one of the clamps suddenly snapped at the joint sending the 2 halves of the clamp missile-style in either direction, one leaving a chip of paint out of my wall and the other hitting my model in the face. While we were dealing with that, less than an hour later we came back to the room to figure out something new and apparently while we were out, another one had done the same thing! I'm lucky she's not going to sue me. I probably would if I were in her place for the photographer being so stupid as to buy these pieces of junk.
(I'll post pictures of the pipe and the broken pieces so you can see how little it takes for them to break)
review image
44 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 8, 2018
Bought these in 2014 and have been using them to clamp cloth backdrops in my studio to 1.5" thick overhead trusses.

They have bright orange angle adapting crip pieces which draw the eye and must be covered so as not to stand out in photos. But that's not why I am giving these a two star review.

The reason I have returned to post my review, and why this is one of the very rare occasions I am giving a product a low-rating, is that they are all beginning to fail. I do not open and close them often as they are put in place and left there. I did not use them for their maximum rated opening of 2" as described, so they should be well within their operating tolerance.

Last night, we were doing product and promotional photography and two of these simply fell apart and dropped from the overhead. I had two of them spontaneously break and fall off of light stands last year. Three more this year fell form the overhead as I described. I immediately replaced them with the metal, 4" black rubber tipped spring clamps that do hold without falling apart.

I am sorry to say that I do not recommend these clamps and suggest avoiding them altogether unless you are clipping something1" thick or less. They simply break apart at the pivot point and fall off. Never ever use them to clamp or hold anything that could hurt someone if it fell. Fabric only, as then you just have the embarrassment of your client knowing you used inferior clips.

Get metal clamps, Use Metal Clamps, AVOID THESE. I would never endorse or recommend these clips. Yes, they are inexpensive, but should still perform as described.
on May 20, 2016
Received these 4 clamps and immediately put them to use. I have a huge 10ft x 16ft Green Chromakey Chroma Key Muslin Backdrop Background Screen that I use on a heavy duty background holder. I noticed that only 2 clamps are more than strong enough to hold the ends of the backdrop up to the top. However, since it is fabric we are dealing with an additional one or 2 clamps were needed to reduce the amount of wrinkling and keep the fabric snugly against the backdrop holder bar. My initial impression of these were that the quality looked pretty low. Plastic construction with some pieces that looked off centered made me think these were definitely a no frills, no flashy features kind of product. I already had a few clamps that were all metal and very pleasing to the eyes. Once I put these clamps to use I would have to say that they outperform the flashy all metal clamps I’ve had for at least a decade. I received these clamps Sept 2015 and have had them holding up my heavy backgrounds nonstop since the time of this review. They are still going strong and providing the same gripping power as they did at first purchase.
> 4 1/2" long X 3 1/2" high X 5/8" thick
> Jaws open to 1 3/4" (maybe 2" if you strain), but are probably best used to clamp a maximum thickness of about 1"
> Jaw pads 5/8" x 7/8"
> Closer than the pads the inside of the jaw can grip round poles 7/8" to ~1 1/4" in diameter
> The pads pivot, so they are parallel to each other when gripping, which (while providing a strong gap) spreads out the pressure and does not damage surfaces.
> The pads have a groove down the center, perpendicular to the clamps which might be useful for gripping 1/8" to 1/4" poles.

> The clamps I received are well made, and none are broken.
> I suspect that the reviewers who reported that they broke spread them too far---with the jaws open more than about an inch the tension is very strong. If you use them to clamp things less than about 1", I doubt that they would break.
> I'll report on my experience in the future.

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask questions.
on July 8, 2017
These clamps do not fit the LimoStudio backdrop stand, even though this is a recommended product with the stand. They opening of the clamp (when closed/clamped) does not have a wide enough circumference to fit around the lower/thicker portion of the LimoStudio backdrop stand.
on September 25, 2017
Clamp-wise worked as needed. But one of the kids at the party knocked the backdrop over and 2 of the 3 clamps shattered in multiple pieces upon impact on the gymnasium floor. I would have thought they could withstand something of that nature, but also don't have much experience with backdrops and clamps. So will likely spend a few extra bucks next time for actual heavy duty clamps.
on October 11, 2016
So I bought these clips for all of my photos shoot tarps that I have and I love them. They offer great mobility of drops and clean hangs each time..
What I do not like about the clips is that they break fast. I was using this set for less than 2 months and 2 of them are already broken. I am not hard on them, but when you keep using them and depressing them the tension must release the spring and that is that.

The Pros: The clamps hold well, and firm. The clamp mouths open nicely and even fasten to piano benches.
Yes I will be buying more
on March 10, 2016
Oh man - these were perfect for holding up my custom sound foam panel I made up on a LimoStudio background stand.

At first I was disappointed, as these were smaller than the other clamps I had, and I was expecting the larger size. But this size was actually PERFECT for holding a backdrop on that LimoStudio stand, and they were exactly what I needed!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on January 14, 2015
These are definitely cheap but I knew that when I ordered them so I am not going to mark them down for that. I needed something inexpensive quickly and these fit the bill. They have a fairly strong clamp pressure. My problem with them is that the red piece (see photo) is busted on one them (arrived that way) and I can see that if you are carefully when applying and removing them, the others will break easily too. Normally I would have returned them for a full, unbroken set, but I needed them fast and didn't have time so I just fixed the broken one the best I could and kept them.

If you're looking for professional grade clamps, these are not the ones. But if you're on a budget, these are decent. How long they will last will depend on how you use them and whether you are rough with them.
on February 26, 2015
These large clamps are heavy duty and keep a firm grip on the fabric that I use on my PVC-pipe photography backdrop stand. They are almost too stiff for me to open with just one hand, but they definitely stay in place once clamped. They are just the right size to clamp around either the 3/4" or the 1" PVC pipe. The teeth of the clamp don't actually come together when using the 3/4" pipe, but that doesn't seem to matter since the mouth of the clamp fits so snugly around the pipe.