Truck Reviews HPC Audible Mel Robbins Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 27, 2013
I've used my clamps a total of 4 times for simple 20min-1 hour gigs clamping cloth backgrounds to wires. 2 days ago I used them to clamp on to small PVC 1/4" pipe. Far from taxing their abilities... or so I thought. After about 2 hours of being clamped to the pipe one of the clamps suddenly snapped at the joint sending the 2 halves of the clamp missile-style in either direction, one leaving a chip of paint out of my wall and the other hitting my model in the face. While we were dealing with that, less than an hour later we came back to the room to figure out something new and apparently while we were out, another one had done the same thing! I'm lucky she's not going to sue me. I probably would if I were in her place for the photographer being so stupid as to buy these pieces of junk.
(I'll post pictures of the pipe and the broken pieces so you can see how little it takes for them to break)
review image
168 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
DESCRIPTION
> 4 1/2" long X 3 1/2" high X 5/8" thick
> Jaws open to 1 3/4" (maybe 2" if you strain), but are probably best used to clamp a maximum thickness of about 1"
> Jaw pads 5/8" x 7/8"
> Closer than the pads the inside of the jaw can grip round poles 7/8" to ~1 1/4" in diameter
> The pads pivot, so they are parallel to each other when gripping, which (while providing a strong gap) spreads out the pressure and does not damage surfaces.
> The pads have a groove down the center, perpendicular to the clamps which might be useful for gripping 1/8" to 1/4" poles.

EVALUATION
> The clamps I received are well made, and none are broken.
> I suspect that the reviewers who reported that they broke spread them too far---with the jaws open more than about an inch the tension is very strong. If you use them to clamp things less than about 1", I doubt that they would break.
> I'll report on my experience in the future.

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask questions.
4 people found this helpful
on May 20, 2016
Received these 4 clamps and immediately put them to use. I have a huge 10ft x 16ft Green Chromakey Chroma Key Muslin Backdrop Background Screen that I use on a heavy duty background holder. I noticed that only 2 clamps are more than strong enough to hold the ends of the backdrop up to the top. However, since it is fabric we are dealing with an additional one or 2 clamps were needed to reduce the amount of wrinkling and keep the fabric snugly against the backdrop holder bar. My initial impression of these were that the quality looked pretty low. Plastic construction with some pieces that looked off centered made me think these were definitely a no frills, no flashy features kind of product. I already had a few clamps that were all metal and very pleasing to the eyes. Once I put these clamps to use I would have to say that they outperform the flashy all metal clamps I’ve had for at least a decade. I received these clamps Sept 2015 and have had them holding up my heavy backgrounds nonstop since the time of this review. They are still going strong and providing the same gripping power as they did at first purchase.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
These little clamps are quite a bargain--which is a rare thing to say when purchasing photo/video equipment. Honestly, it's an industry that lives to squeeze every cent out of dreamers who want professional quality, but don't want to have to sell a kidney to get it.

Enter these little clamps. You might think that I'm giving faint praise here, but these are quite useful for hanging photographic backdrops, holding together gels, reflectors, etc. Trust me--you'll find a lot of uses for them. Also, those little soft pads at the end of the pincers are great at preventing damage and equalizing pressure.

Given their price, they're quite a bargain.
on September 25, 2017
Clamp-wise worked as needed. But one of the kids at the party knocked the backdrop over and 2 of the 3 clamps shattered in multiple pieces upon impact on the gymnasium floor. I would have thought they could withstand something of that nature, but also don't have much experience with backdrops and clamps. So will likely spend a few extra bucks next time for actual heavy duty clamps.
on May 15, 2018
These were a must. We recently ordered a backdrop stand for a birthday party that only came with 3 clamps included. I was purchased this set at the same time and I am glad I did.

The three included clamps could bore hold the back drop without ugly sagging.
These clamps worked perfectly at providing the extra support that the backdrop needed. The price was right as well. It did not seem like we were spending much more for the extra clamps.
on March 10, 2016
Oh man - these were perfect for holding up my custom sound foam panel I made up on a LimoStudio background stand.

At first I was disappointed, as these were smaller than the other clamps I had, and I was expecting the larger size. But this size was actually PERFECT for holding a backdrop on that LimoStudio stand, and they were exactly what I needed!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
2 people found this helpful
on January 14, 2015
These are definitely cheap but I knew that when I ordered them so I am not going to mark them down for that. I needed something inexpensive quickly and these fit the bill. They have a fairly strong clamp pressure. My problem with them is that the red piece (see photo) is busted on one them (arrived that way) and I can see that if you are carefully when applying and removing them, the others will break easily too. Normally I would have returned them for a full, unbroken set, but I needed them fast and didn't have time so I just fixed the broken one the best I could and kept them.

If you're looking for professional grade clamps, these are not the ones. But if you're on a budget, these are decent. How long they will last will depend on how you use them and whether you are rough with them.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I purchased these clamps to hold a vinyl sheet in place that was draped over a backdrop stand. Man, these things are strong. So strong that I was able to use them to secure a sheet of plexiglass to another photo shooting table that I was using for product photography. this has to be some of the toughest plastic that I've used. I'd definitely recommend these.
on January 7, 2017
So nice I ordered them twice! I have 12 of these and they work just as advertised. I can't say how well they will hold up long term. Perhaps in two years they will not grip so tightly but more than likely they will. The spring is nice and strong. I'm using them to hold a muslin backdrop onto a tube stand. That's an important point to note because sometimes it's hard to clip to tubes. These to a very nice job o fit. They were very affordable so between the price and the function I have zero complaints.