Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 488 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 516 reviews
on March 3, 2013
PROS:
- This is one solid piece of gear. No way can you accidentally bend this
- The paint/material is quite scratch resistant
- The screw to attach to camera mount is solid metal
- The size and weight to me are ideal

CONS:
- Chemical smell: I scoffed reviews complaining about this upon first opening the package, but after holding it an hour, my hand reeked and I empathized the complaints. Then, after leaving it in a room overnight, the room reeked even worse. Now I actually got sick on the fumes. Against my better judgement, knowing chemicals can actually make things worse, I tried a few compounds to no avail. I then took someone's advice and left this in the sun for 8 hours to no avail.

- HOW TO FIX THE ODOR: I used Bath and Body Works "Sensual Amber" Soap on the grip, scrubbed with toothbrush for 5 minutes, let it sit in the sink for an hour, then rinsed off,,,,,, and VOILA! No more odor! And my hand smelled sexy after using my camera too. LOL = ) This is all true!

- I am one of those VERY practical people who have cleaned, salvaged, and reused things all my life. If I say it works, it does, so do that trick. I AVOID modern over advertised cleaning products that destroy the environment. MOST times, alcohol, mineral oil, and other NATURAL based solvents clean it all. In this case, it was a body soap that my wife gave me that I had noted was so strong after showering with it, that I smelled fresh and sensual for hours each day from one little drop. I thought, "man, if this gets rid of my body odor, than this has got to work on this camera handle"... it did!!! My wife bought it for less than on Amazon, but you can get it here for 11 bucks and it takes only one droplet per shower, so it lasts over a year. Then you can use it on this camera handle LOL = )

- Honestly, any good smelling soap will do the trick, but use a toothbrush on it too scrub, and let sit with soap on it a while. DO NOT use cleaning products as it can make it worse by breaking down the chemical materials in the handle itself and spread even stronger odor along with breaking down the material itself.

HAPPY SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!
1010 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 21, 2014
My Nikon L 600 is a great camera but one thing they left out was a hot shoe which allows the attachment of an external light that you can use for video.

This bracket is a very simple and inexpensive workaround. It screws into your tripod socket and gives you some degree of play on how you position it.

So in bad lighting conditions or when shooting in slow-motion indoors I'm able to deploy a powerful LED light so that capture great looking video footage.

This is a simple, well-consructed device, and there's really nothing that I can see that wrong with it.
on March 30, 2013
I purchased this over a year ago and just purchased my second. I somehow misplaced the original 1/4 tripod mount but the product itself still is as new. That's after 12 months of some pretty rough handling. For the price, this thing is simply amazing. Makes me feel like a serious film maker! I love it. Use it mostly for small cameras like my canon elph and gopro. In addition to the camera I can attach a microphone and light, you can see my set up above in the customer gallery. Would purchase again and recommend a million times.
on January 4, 2014
The scent of petroleum is there, but not that bad, and I am quite sensitive to smells.

I have used this for multiple projects over the past six months and it has performed fine for the price. I typically mount a Zoom H4n to the top and a Sennheiser ew300 wireless receiver to the side, under a Canon 60D.

Single largest complaint is the most poorly thought-out screw you could possibly imagine for this application. But for the price-point, it is fixable and forgivable. The screw itself is super-low-grade cast aluminum pressed into lightweight brittle plastic. There are also steps that reduce the footprint to 1/2" on both the top and bottom (see the uploaded customer image) which makes the mount very unstable and saggy. I would not recommend trying to tighten the sag out of it, you will break either the plastic or the aluminum. I have jammed 1/4-1/2 headphone adapters between the bracket and tripod-shoe to level it back up, then found that a hard plastic garden-hose washer works for the top part. I haven't tried similar for the bottom, because my next step is to just find a 1/4-1/4 brass adapter with a long shaft at some camera store or online.
on January 6, 2016
GO PRO FANS!!! I love this Photography Bracket for my GoPro Hero Silver 4. I needed a bracket so I had better control over my filming, and just as importantly, had a hotshoe mount to fit my Rode microphone. Together with my Luxebell C200 housing for my GoPro (which has the ¼ attachment to the L bracket) and with my Rode Mic, it’s a solid combination for point-and-shoot scenarios. Super happy with the item. Especially love how it comes with two hotshoe mounts, so you can add an element like perhaps a cell phone holder so you can see live viewing for your GoPro (I don’t need it personally as the Hero 4 Silver has a screen). Like many have noted, it does have a plastic smell to it, but it wasn’t massively overwhelming to me or any different from any other plastic product. I’ve included some pics so you can see my GoPro set up. Happy to answer any questions people have about this product. Super happy with it.
review image review image review image review image
I bought this to use with my Canon Vixia R40 camcorder so that I can mount a video light. The logical place for the handle is on the left side of the unit so that the right hand can be used to operate the record button of the camcorder; which is difficult to do if you place the handle on the right. The problem is you can't open the LCD screen once the handle is attached to the left of the your LCD. This makes it necessary to open the LCD, turn off the main power switch, and then attach the bracket. Then one would have to turn the power off if there were breaks when shooting. This makes it less than ideal for some small camcorders--if the bottom mount of the L-Bracket were just an inch longer it cold accommodate wider LCD screens. There are two mounts so you could do a light and a microphone if desired. If you're willing t work with that limitation it's a good bracket for the money. You could also mount it to a tripod in which case it would probably less of an issue. I might find it more useful for my Canon Powershot SX50 to get the flash off the unit or for some small DSLRs where you'd want a video light and or a microphone mount. At any rate more experimentation is needed--but overall it's a sturdy and affordable bracket for the money.
on April 12, 2017
Nice accessory to have around. Knocked off one star because on the unit I have, one of the hotshoe mounts has a burr on it that keeps some accessories from being placed in it.

It has a comfortable rubber grip that is very thick and nice to hold. Will mount any camera or accessory with a standard tripod mount hole.

You can also mount the handle on a standard tripod, which it pretty cool. The hot shoe mounts are sideways, so keep that in mind, it just depends how you want position your camera. It's a handy accessory to have around.
on February 27, 2017
 I am amazed at the value for this bracket as the piece is extremely sturdy and of good quality. This gives you a versatile option for shooting as you can attach a shotgun mount and lighting to the hot shoe adapters and your phone, camera, camcorder, etc to the bottom. The best part about this bracket in my opinion is that the bottom 1/4" thread also has a female thread adapter on the underside so that it can still attach to a tripod if you do not wish to use it handheld. Please see the video for more details.
on October 5, 2014
I really like this bracket and it does exactly what it advertises. It's perfect for use with my superzoom camera, as well as my DSLR for getting my shotgun mic off the camera to reduce picking up lens, etc. noise on the mic. I only gave it 4/5 stars purely because of the STENCH. Both the rubber handle and the baseplate absolutely reek. I just left it out in the garage for a week, and a lot of the smell dissipated, but it still smells a little and the smell rubs off on your hands during use. I've tried heavily scented soap, but the smell still comes back. I'm going to leave it out in the garage until I need to use it next, so hopefully the smell will eventually be gone.
on November 4, 2015
Not terribly amused with this one. I use a bubble level in my hot shoe and needed to move it for a flash trigger. I had hoped I could put the bubble level on this, but while it looks like it's bent at a 90* angel, it is not, it's just an arbitrary bend and so the level doesn't tell me much when attached there. Also the cheap metal of the tripod screw and the need to tighten it as much as possible worries me about it damaging my cameras threads. But with a more trustworthy screw it will probably work fine if I need to secure anything other than a level.