Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 509 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 541 reviews
on March 3, 2013
PROS:
- This is one solid piece of gear. No way can you accidentally bend this
- The paint/material is quite scratch resistant
- The screw to attach to camera mount is solid metal
- The size and weight to me are ideal

CONS:
- Chemical smell: I scoffed reviews complaining about this upon first opening the package, but after holding it an hour, my hand reeked and I empathized the complaints. Then, after leaving it in a room overnight, the room reeked even worse. Now I actually got sick on the fumes. Against my better judgement, knowing chemicals can actually make things worse, I tried a few compounds to no avail. I then took someone's advice and left this in the sun for 8 hours to no avail.

- HOW TO FIX THE ODOR: I used Bath and Body Works "Sensual Amber" Soap on the grip, scrubbed with toothbrush for 5 minutes, let it sit in the sink for an hour, then rinsed off,,,,,, and VOILA! No more odor! And my hand smelled sexy after using my camera too. LOL = ) This is all true!

- I am one of those VERY practical people who have cleaned, salvaged, and reused things all my life. If I say it works, it does, so do that trick. I AVOID modern over advertised cleaning products that destroy the environment. MOST times, alcohol, mineral oil, and other NATURAL based solvents clean it all. In this case, it was a body soap that my wife gave me that I had noted was so strong after showering with it, that I smelled fresh and sensual for hours each day from one little drop. I thought, "man, if this gets rid of my body odor, than this has got to work on this camera handle"... it did!!! My wife bought it for less than on Amazon, but you can get it here for 11 bucks and it takes only one droplet per shower, so it lasts over a year. Then you can use it on this camera handle LOL = )

- Honestly, any good smelling soap will do the trick, but use a toothbrush on it too scrub, and let sit with soap on it a while. DO NOT use cleaning products as it can make it worse by breaking down the chemical materials in the handle itself and spread even stronger odor along with breaking down the material itself.

HAPPY SHOOTING!!!!!!!!!
88 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 21, 2014
My Nikon L 600 is a great camera but one thing they left out was a hot shoe which allows the attachment of an external light that you can use for video.

This bracket is a very simple and inexpensive workaround. It screws into your tripod socket and gives you some degree of play on how you position it.

So in bad lighting conditions or when shooting in slow-motion indoors I'm able to deploy a powerful LED light so that capture great looking video footage.

This is a simple, well-consructed device, and there's really nothing that I can see that wrong with it.
on March 30, 2013
I purchased this over a year ago and just purchased my second. I somehow misplaced the original 1/4 tripod mount but the product itself still is as new. That's after 12 months of some pretty rough handling. For the price, this thing is simply amazing. Makes me feel like a serious film maker! I love it. Use it mostly for small cameras like my canon elph and gopro. In addition to the camera I can attach a microphone and light, you can see my set up above in the customer gallery. Would purchase again and recommend a million times.
on September 14, 2016
Hard to beat for the money. I bought this to get a speedlight off camera a bit and it does that. I would love to have seen another couple inches of height but it's off axis enough that it should work fine. The angle with the top cold shoe was slightly off parallel with the base plate but I was able to bend it just a touch to get them parallel; not really necessary, just a bit of OCD. The cold shoes are actually pretty good in that they are nice and snug without binding, this was impressive. I didn't get one with a harsh scent like others so maybe that's been addressed. My only concern is the knob; the plastic there feels cheap and may not survive long term with a camera getting put through the paces of a few events but hey, at this price it's fine. I've included a photo with a Nikon D90 (no grip), a Yongnuo speedlight and shoe mounted Yongnue trigger.
on May 25, 2015
I'm a videographer and film lots of weddings, so I was eager to get this product to give me additional versatility with my set up. I use a Canon 5D III, and was looking to mount my Rode shotgun mic on this, so I could have a LED light on the body's hot shoe. That part worked out fine. The issue that I ran into is when you screw this bracket into the bottom of your camera, and then attach a quick release plate to the bracket screw, you cannot get it tight enough and it turns. This is problematic if you plan on using this bracket with a monopod as your control over your camera is now greatly diminished since your camera will freely swivel left and right. That's just my experience and I wanted to share. And yes there's a chemical smell but other reviews have great suggestions for taking care of that.
on January 4, 2014
The scent of petroleum is there, but not that bad, and I am quite sensitive to smells.

I have used this for multiple projects over the past six months and it has performed fine for the price. I typically mount a Zoom H4n to the top and a Sennheiser ew300 wireless receiver to the side, under a Canon 60D.

Single largest complaint is the most poorly thought-out screw you could possibly imagine for this application. But for the price-point, it is fixable and forgivable. The screw itself is super-low-grade cast aluminum pressed into lightweight brittle plastic. There are also steps that reduce the footprint to 1/2" on both the top and bottom (see the uploaded customer image) which makes the mount very unstable and saggy. I would not recommend trying to tighten the sag out of it, you will break either the plastic or the aluminum. I have jammed 1/4-1/2 headphone adapters between the bracket and tripod-shoe to level it back up, then found that a hard plastic garden-hose washer works for the top part. I haven't tried similar for the bottom, because my next step is to just find a 1/4-1/4 brass adapter with a long shaft at some camera store or online.
on January 6, 2016
GO PRO FANS!!! I love this Photography Bracket for my GoPro Hero Silver 4. I needed a bracket so I had better control over my filming, and just as importantly, had a hotshoe mount to fit my Rode microphone. Together with my Luxebell C200 housing for my GoPro (which has the ¼ attachment to the L bracket) and with my Rode Mic, it’s a solid combination for point-and-shoot scenarios. Super happy with the item. Especially love how it comes with two hotshoe mounts, so you can add an element like perhaps a cell phone holder so you can see live viewing for your GoPro (I don’t need it personally as the Hero 4 Silver has a screen). Like many have noted, it does have a plastic smell to it, but it wasn’t massively overwhelming to me or any different from any other plastic product. I’ve included some pics so you can see my GoPro set up. Happy to answer any questions people have about this product. Super happy with it.
review image review image review image review image
on February 27, 2017
 I am amazed at the value for this bracket as the piece is extremely sturdy and of good quality. This gives you a versatile option for shooting as you can attach a shotgun mount and lighting to the hot shoe adapters and your phone, camera, camcorder, etc to the bottom. The best part about this bracket in my opinion is that the bottom 1/4" thread also has a female thread adapter on the underside so that it can still attach to a tripod if you do not wish to use it handheld. Please see the video for more details.
on February 12, 2012
This is a very well constructed piece of equipment with one caveat - there is a very noticeable chemical smell coming from the rubbery plastic handle. I have used alcohol wipes to no avail. If you're using this outdoors, it isn't so bad but indoors is another story. If I put the handle in my camera bag, the smell seems to linger in there as well. I hope it will eventually go away because the bracket is very solidly built and the hotshoe mounts seem sturdy. I would recommend this product as long as the buyer is aware of the chemical odor. If the chemical smell was not present, this would be a solid 5 star product.
66 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2015
Initially very impressed with how sturdy bracket is. After two months of use, the bracket remains unchanged and is still very sturdy. However, the mounting screw snapped off. I wished it was made with a more robust material.