Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 417 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 506 reviews
on October 22, 2014
One of the best games ever, despite some of its disjointed aspects.

I'm a super casual gamer. I don't like shooters, but I do like psychological thriller games like Heavy Rain, and especially Beyond: Two Souls. I love the games that Quantic puts out.

Anyway, this game is like watching a movie, with the user hitting a series of buttons to do actions. Fight scenes are button combos, that's it. If you like full control of everything your character does, this game might not be for you. But if you like the "video game as movie" genre, then you will love this.

Buy it.
on July 25, 2014
Heavy Rain, oh Heavy Rain, a name I have heard again and again throughout the years, from the same game company that tries and turns EVERY game they make into one long playable cutscene. With the recent release of Beyond: Two Souls and my own experience playing Indigo Prophecy, I have to give in and try this game (plus, it was roughly the price of the bus fare, and I biked to work that day). I'm sorry, I can certainly understand avant garde individuals enjoying these unique approaches to video games, but how far removed but gameplay mechanics get before you realize you are no longer playing a game and instead watching the dullest soap opera? Quantic Dream is a company I deeply respect for the ideas they have in crafting unconventional experiences in an industry so saturated with low hanging fruit that still make millions of dollars, but the wonderful ideas the company generates tend to fail in execution, and the second I realized that I'd spent an hour in the game performing household chores in my dirty house, I realized there is a fine line between realism and simulating the otherwise mundane actions we try to escape through entertainment
on March 5, 2015
this game is for mature audiences.

is more of a story telling than a game honestly. but the story.......boy........it was GOOD.

it certainly beats all the crap movies holliwood is releasing latelly.

but is not a good game in the sense of player interaction. it's mostly go from point A to point B investigate, solve puzzle and also do QTE events every once in a while on the action scenes.

some of the puzzles were quite fun to solve. but as far as action goes, there's none really. just some real-time events where you have to push the right button at the right time. kinda like boss battles from the god of war series. it gets old pretty fast.

this is more like an interactive movie, and in this sense it is a MASTERPIECE.

sort of like LA noire (great game also), but with much less interaction.

if you think of this as a game, it deserves about 2 stars.

if you think of it like an interactive movie (a la metalgear solid) it deserves 5 stars no questions.

lets just say i did not know the killer until the very end, i did not see it coming.
on June 18, 2013
This is the second time I've played through this game. The first time was when it first launched. This is still a phenomenal game and any PS3 owner owes it to themselves to play it if they haven't already.

The gameplay is a little over the top. While you feel like you're in total control of your character, sometimes it feels just a little redundant. For example, getting into a car. You first have to command your character (commands are all done via a movement on the right analog stick) to open the door, then to put on his/her seatbelt, then to turn the ignition on, then to put the car is dirve, and finally to hit the accelerator. It's cool at first, but it starts to feel like you're holding the character's hand too much.

The story is where the game shines. Throughout the game you'll be engrossed in it's mysterious story. The story in this game would have been superb for a movie. The ending of the game will have you in shock. There are also multiple different endings depending on your decisions throughout the game.

The only warning I would give to anyone looking to purchase the game, is to be cautious of the glitches. I had to return the copy I bought from Amazon last week because I had a defective disc. I kept getting constant crashes and other weird glitches that would not allow me to progress in the game. I didn't experience any of these glitches years ago when I first played the game. Amazon shipped me out a new game and I played through it with absolutely no problem.

I have to give credit to the Amazon return policy. They are very good with returns and shipped my new copy very quick with 2-day shipping. Thank you Amazon.
on December 2, 2013
This game is overrated and should not be recommended to "gamers". Instead, it should be recommended to fans of mystery/crime/detective movies with extreme patience. Imagine watching an 8 hour detective movie. That's what this is, except it will move at an excruciatingly slow pace since you will control your characters movements and responses (and they can't run, they walk... slowly... very slowly). It's a cool idea, and could be cooler if your decisions made a significant difference to the story, but other than the last 30 minutes, hardly any buttons you press make a difference in the linearity of the game. I'd give it 2 stars, but +1 for ambition.
on October 4, 2014
Heavy Rain has one of the very best stories ever created and written for a Video Game. The story goes like this: A criminal known as the Origami Killer has been invading the town and has kidnapped Shaun Mars, the son of the Protagonist Ethan Mars, Ethan Mars will have to do all sorts of insane tests to find and save his son. The story is so powerful, emotional, and overall just fantastic. Going into the actual game: You play as 4 characters who are shown on the front cover of the game: Ethan Mars (Main Character/Protagonist), Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby. Heavy Rain's gameplay is unlike any game, as you go through the story, you get to decide what the characters do and the choices you make affect how the story progesses. The most commonly mentioned flaw of the game is the controlling, as much as I agree that the controlling is a bit clunky, you can get used to it pretty quickly and play through the game with no problem. The version that this review is about is for the Director's Cut, which includes PlayStation Move support, DLC (The Taxidermist bonus chapter), Official Soundtrack, and Heavy Rain themes for your PS3 XMB Menu. If you have a PS3, this is one of the best games Sony has to offer for the PS3!
on November 30, 2013
This review will be spoiler free.

Hands down one of the best games I've ever played. If you enjoy a rich story with great characters and emotional attachment then look no further. I play many video games--and this game provided those rare moments where I actually get chills sent down my body. I mean good God there is some awesome elements here.

I should add this really isn't much of a GAME so to say--more so an interactive movie. You do control characters for many parts but lots of the game is watching an action scene and hitting the right bottoms influencing the outcome.

Easy Pros:
Music - FANTASTIC soundtrack. Fits the scenes very well.
Graphics - This game really impressed me with their graphics. There are some parts that honestly looked way to real. Fantastic.
Story - I loved the Origami Killer and the mystery surrounding it.
Characters - Loved them, I'm glad there weren't many annoying characters.
Branching Storyline - What I really liked is that even if you failed in some parts of the game, you could still reach that same conclusion through other venues--which I loved. You'll see it more in game.

Easy Cons:
Plot holes - There are definitely some plot holes but they aren't too bad. Most of them can actually be addressed if you think about it in depth or do the research but I do wish they firmly explained some hanging themes.

Overall--buy this game. I bought it on Amazon for 10 bucks but I would have EASILY paid $60 for it. I have a $1 per hour of entertainment rule but I would have gladly paid $10 bucks an hour.

I don't often replay games--but this one--I will be.
on November 13, 2013
Very good game, excellent plot, graphics, characters ... luxury! Although you can get some getting used to cost does not matter because the game's plot will wrap completely .. depending on your decisions you have many ways to get to the end ... / Muy buen juego, excelente trama, graficos, personajes...de lujo! Aunque puede llegar a costarte un poco acostumbrarte no importa porque la trama del juego te envolvera por completo.. dependiendo de tus decisiones tienes muchas maneras de llegar al final....
on June 16, 2014
I recently just purchased a ps3 after owing the 360 for years, so I missed out on all the PS exclusives. This is the third Playstation exclusive game ive played. after The Last of us and Beyond Two souls. I would have to rate it number 3 on the list of the my favorite games of all time(The Last of us being 1st and The Walking Dead Game: Season one being 2nd).

Pros:
-strong story
-interesting characters
-beautiful graphics
-keeps you at the edge of your seat
-you choices truly do affect the story
-10+ hours of gameplay
-you could pick up the game again to make different choices that changes aspects of the story

Cons
- in my opinion some of the voice actors weren't very good.
-the story is slow at some points
-the camera angles are annoying when trying to walk
-characters move slow
-button mashing, lots and lots of it.
-very easy even on higher difficulty

I picked up the game for $11.75 (including shipping) so I feel it was totally worth it. if you could get it for less than $15 I totally recommend it.
on November 23, 2014
The review might be a couple years late but this is a game that should not be missed out on.
Very rare comes a genre which captures real emotions in a compelling and suspenseful story. With characters each their own lives, stories and how it links them together. The story is captivating, the game play simple, the decisions however what you chose to do makes the beauty of the game. How will your actions change the outcome.
Another plus is that it uses the Sony "once in a lifetime" move which was taken out from being un-used since Sport Championships for a little more varied game play. The masterful composed soundtrack did well to keep the atmosphere and emotions alive.
I highly recommend it for those players who appreciate something different. With multiple ending based on the decisions you make and the not so long game play be sure to try different decisions to see how it all ends..
A five out of five.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.