Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on April 21, 2015
It's a good thing I picked up and played Heavy Rain after The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead. It makes those two games look sad by comparison.

These games fall into the category of "choose-your-own-adventure". The puzzles provided per-se aren't particularly challenging, so what I evaluate these games on is the deepness and richness of the content: how often are the decisions meaningful? How many different ways can the story end? Does the story provide emotional impact? Is the story coherent?

By those standards Heavy Rain is outstanding. In fact, if you own a PS3, just stop reading, find yourself a copy, and play!

Still with me? OK. Heavy Rain is a story about parenthood. It starts with Ethan Mars' interaction with his family, and a defining incident in which he fails to save his son from a traffic collision. Years later, we find him depressed and subject to occasional blackouts. During one of those blackouts, his second son disappears, kidnapped by the "origami killer", a serial killer who focuses on killing children. The rest of the game follows Ethan's attempt to rescue his son and uncover who the origami killer is.

There are 3 other playable characters: Madison Paige, a reporter, Scott Shelby, a private detective also investigating the case, and Jayden, the FBI agent assigned to the case. The viewpoint of the game shifts between these playable characters, and you see them cross-paths, or even watch one storyline uncover clues while another storyline is oblivious.

The script is exceedingly well written. The characters are believable, and their interaction choices don't leave me frustrated. Furthermore, when the reveal happens, not only was I surprised, when I thought back to all the clues previously provided I felt that the mystery was fair: I had enough clues to figure out who the killer was, but the misdirection and setup had distracted me enough that I didn't put them together. This is exceedingly hard to do, and Heavy Rain succeeds.

What's even more amazing is the game play. In The Walking Dead or The Wolf Among Us, if you fail at one of the "game" section, the game restarts at a checkpoint and then you play it over until you succeed. Heavy Rain throws away such conceits. If you fail at one point, your viewpoint character can die but the game carries on! The story changes, and you can get a different ending. I'm not a great game player, so by the time I finished the game two of my characters have died, and poor Ethan Mars was a mess of injuries. But the ending still satisfied me and didn't leave me feeling as though I was cheated of storyline that I should have observed but didn't.

What's more, the game did a fantastic job making me feel what the characters were going through. Because lives were at stake and because I could fail, the story was intense. At several points I winced as the killer put Ethan Mars through trials to see how far a father would go to save his son. Whenever I failed one of those trials, I felt devastated. Some of those scenes had me shaking while pushing buttons on the controller, events that never happened in other games.

When I bought the game, I thought I'd sell it when I'd finished. Now that I'm done, I realize that like a good movie, it's a game I wouldn't mind playing again, especially since you can get different endings. (If you want to shorten the time it takes to watch all the different endings, you should save frequently so you can try both success and failure scenarios --- I wasn't aware of this feature until it was too late) I liked this game enough that I'll probably hunt down Quantic Dream's other games in the future.

What are the nits in the game? The controls are a little painful: sometimes you have to hold down multiple buttons and then shake the controller in order to get certain things to happen. If your controller is broken in that the six-axis sensor is inconsistent this can drive you nuts. This game definitely depends on a low latency screen as well. My plasma screen even in game mode made this game harder because of the induced latency. Being a PS3 game, the graphics are fantastic for that era but of course cannot compare to the PS4. I'm looking forward to Quantic Dream's future games on the PS4. Finally, the adult situations and nudity means that this game is unsuitable for pre-teens.

But despite these faults, I'd say that this game is exhibit A in why a dedicated home console (especially Sony's) makes sense. You can't get games of this quality on any other platform, and it's clear that Quantic Dream's efforts are of a level of maturity, sophistication, and emotional impact that makes other efforts on competing platforms look like they're multiple decades behind. Highly recommended!
on January 7, 2016
Watched my boyfriend play this, it was one of his Christmas presents from me. I watched about an hour and got lost in the story. The graphics are awesome and there are some pretty intense moments - I kept biting the sleeve of my shirt and was literally sitting on the edge of my seat!

It's a bit different than the usual games he plays, but I wanted to get him something unexpected this year. I also got him BEYOND: Two Souls (actually found out about Heavy Rain while reading reviews on Two Souls). He said he knew about both games and wanted them but was waiting for time to pass so they would cost less.

The interaction is slightly lacking and it gives few choices on what to do next, and it's pretty much telling you how to defeat the bad guys during fights but this type of game, it's not about having several weapons and methods to put someone down. You feel emotion while playing and it's a good story to keep it interesting. So far I've seen at least 2-3 scenes that were gripping and a bit shocking!
on October 4, 2014
Heavy Rain has one of the very best stories ever created and written for a Video Game. The story goes like this: A criminal known as the Origami Killer has been invading the town and has kidnapped Shaun Mars, the son of the Protagonist Ethan Mars, Ethan Mars will have to do all sorts of insane tests to find and save his son. The story is so powerful, emotional, and overall just fantastic. Going into the actual game: You play as 4 characters who are shown on the front cover of the game: Ethan Mars (Main Character/Protagonist), Norman Jayden, Madison Paige, and Scott Shelby. Heavy Rain's gameplay is unlike any game, as you go through the story, you get to decide what the characters do and the choices you make affect how the story progesses. The most commonly mentioned flaw of the game is the controlling, as much as I agree that the controlling is a bit clunky, you can get used to it pretty quickly and play through the game with no problem. The version that this review is about is for the Director's Cut, which includes PlayStation Move support, DLC (The Taxidermist bonus chapter), Official Soundtrack, and Heavy Rain themes for your PS3 XMB Menu. If you have a PS3, this is one of the best games Sony has to offer for the PS3!
on December 4, 2016
Probably my favorite game for the PS3. The story is intriguing and engaging and kept me stuck on the couch for 12 hours at a time. Highly recommend if you love games that are story-driven and not too challenging in terms of hitting buttons fast or fighting or shooting.
on June 16, 2014
I recently just purchased a ps3 after owing the 360 for years, so I missed out on all the PS exclusives. This is the third Playstation exclusive game ive played. after The Last of us and Beyond Two souls. I would have to rate it number 3 on the list of the my favorite games of all time(The Last of us being 1st and The Walking Dead Game: Season one being 2nd).

Pros:
-strong story
-interesting characters
-beautiful graphics
-keeps you at the edge of your seat
-you choices truly do affect the story
-10+ hours of gameplay
-you could pick up the game again to make different choices that changes aspects of the story

Cons
- in my opinion some of the voice actors weren't very good.
-the story is slow at some points
-the camera angles are annoying when trying to walk
-characters move slow
-button mashing, lots and lots of it.
-very easy even on higher difficulty

I picked up the game for $11.75 (including shipping) so I feel it was totally worth it. if you could get it for less than $15 I totally recommend it.
on October 22, 2014
One of the best games ever, despite some of its disjointed aspects.

I'm a super casual gamer. I don't like shooters, but I do like psychological thriller games like Heavy Rain, and especially Beyond: Two Souls. I love the games that Quantic puts out.

Anyway, this game is like watching a movie, with the user hitting a series of buttons to do actions. Fight scenes are button combos, that's it. If you like full control of everything your character does, this game might not be for you. But if you like the "video game as movie" genre, then you will love this.

Buy it.
on December 27, 2012
I love playing video games, especially ones with a meaningful story, which typically are RPGs. I googled open world games and rpgs, and Heavy Rain happened to show. So I did a little research and thought what's the worst that could happen, if I hate it I can sell it. After playing for about an hour I was hooked. Truly mind blowing. The graphics are 10/10. I can not stress enough how beautifully made this game is. The attention to detail is incredible. From the blinking eyes to the creases and wrinkles in each characters skin, it is beautiful. The gameplay is addicting. There are a few angles you play, each one with a more interesting story behind it. Every character has a story. You can not play this game without feeling. It really gets into your head, and makes you think how far would you go for someone you love? I played this game and at the end of each day playing it could not help but sit and think about what I just did. It is absolute video game gold, if you want a psychological game THIS IS IT. I recommend it to everyone over 17, definitely not for children. Be ready to contemplate life after this game, and embrace every emotion it brings out in you. You decide the fate in this game, and if you screw it up you can not help but feel powerless. But if you do good, you will feel such joy and relief. I can not even explain the emotions I felt with this, completely worth every penny.
on June 18, 2013
This is the second time I've played through this game. The first time was when it first launched. This is still a phenomenal game and any PS3 owner owes it to themselves to play it if they haven't already.

The gameplay is a little over the top. While you feel like you're in total control of your character, sometimes it feels just a little redundant. For example, getting into a car. You first have to command your character (commands are all done via a movement on the right analog stick) to open the door, then to put on his/her seatbelt, then to turn the ignition on, then to put the car is dirve, and finally to hit the accelerator. It's cool at first, but it starts to feel like you're holding the character's hand too much.

The story is where the game shines. Throughout the game you'll be engrossed in it's mysterious story. The story in this game would have been superb for a movie. The ending of the game will have you in shock. There are also multiple different endings depending on your decisions throughout the game.

The only warning I would give to anyone looking to purchase the game, is to be cautious of the glitches. I had to return the copy I bought from Amazon last week because I had a defective disc. I kept getting constant crashes and other weird glitches that would not allow me to progress in the game. I didn't experience any of these glitches years ago when I first played the game. Amazon shipped me out a new game and I played through it with absolutely no problem.

I have to give credit to the Amazon return policy. They are very good with returns and shipped my new copy very quick with 2-day shipping. Thank you Amazon.
on July 4, 2014
Although this game has little to zero action as far as what you actually do while manipulating the main character, I still enjoyed the large number of possible stories that can occur depending on what you do throughout the story line. Storyline itself was captivating and played like a movie. I was pleasantly surprised by this one after playing what I consider one of the worst Quantic Dreams games I have played: Beyond: Two Souls. However, I believe this one came after Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit) and I feel that as a second game this was a shift in a good direction.

To be honest though, I am not sure I would replay this game right away. It's kind of like one of those movies you like but you shelf to watch till later when you have forgotten most of the details of the movie.
on December 31, 2012
Excellent product, very good seller, my order arrived within the stipulated time, recommend to all, five stars seller, I am satisfied with my purchase since buying amazon has always been a pleasant experience. Once you have the product in your hands you can not think of anything else other than you made an excellent choice to disburse money to acquire it. The seller will behave responsibly and comply with the details and shipping details. All Perfect, All good, all amazing.

Excelente producto, muy buen vendedor, mi pedido llegó en el tiempo estipulado, lo recomiendo a todos, cinco estrellas al vendedor, estoy satisfecho con mi compra ya que comprar en amazon siempre ha sido una experiencia agradable. Una vez tienes el producto en tus manos no puedes pensar en otra cosa que no sea que hiciste una excelente elección al desembolsar dinero por adquirirlo. El vendedor se comporto responsable y cumplió con los detalles del producto y los detalles del envío. All Perfect, All good, all amazing.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.