- File Size: 586 KB
- Print Length: 298 pages
- Publication Date: April 5, 2012
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B007RS2E8O
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #538,817 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Hegemony Kindle Edition
Customers reported quality issues in this eBook. This eBook has: Typos.
The publisher has been notified to correct these issues.
Quality issues reported
|Length: 298 pages|
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
1) Sequence of events: At one point where two of the protagonists are planning to rescue pilot Alekzandra Neel, there is an extremely long section about how this person came to be a pilot. I am not sure why this had to appear at this point because it totally disrupted the flow of the story.
2) Technical explanations: Although I appreciated the explanation as to how these fighters used lasers to boost them, some of the explanations went on and on and on. I don't know about other readers, but I found this distracting.
On the positive side, I think this author has the potential to write an exciting and interesting series. There were some fascinatingly unexpected plot twists - which I will do the reader the courtesy of not revealing. I also enjoyed the action sequences after getting past some of the author's lengthy technical explanations.
Given the price, I'd be willing to buy the 2nd book in this series with the hope that this author will stick to his imaginative story telling and forgo writing technical manuals. I understand the author's desire to share technical explanations but surely there must be a better way of doing this than to disrupt an action sequence with page after page after unrelenting page of utterly distracting technical details.
Part of the fun are those background politics. Neither the Hegemony, nor the Coalition or the Brotherhood are all shiny and spotless. There is no black and white, only different shades of grey and the protagonists have to come up with their own solutions to overcome the shortcomings of their side in this upcoming conflict.
Nevertheless, it is a fast paced action novel. And Mark Kalina has, believe it or not, been very careful in adhering to reality-style physics in this book, which, in this case, also adds to the storytelling. And if you wonder what daemons do in a high-tech space opera - well, I recommend: Get "Hegemony and see for yourself.
According to the author's page, it is his second novel. I'd love the read the first one, even if he thinks it is not fit for being published, since "Hegemony" is that good. I really wouldn't wonder if this book will be getting a decent recognition by being awarded a Hugo.
So, Mark, if you happen to read this: I want more of your writing.
Setting has interesting twist on 'let's upload human brain' issue (You can upload but you can't make copy, including backup copies).
I want more book in this setting (preferable but not neccessary with same heroes, it would also be interesting to read about how Hegemony of Suns come to exist).
I WILL buy new books if / when there will be any
Most recent customer reviews
I really want to be supportive of new sci-fi authors especially since I am working on my own hard sci-fi novel.Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military > Space Fleet
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera