Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 84 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 128 reviews
on June 8, 2017
This is, so far, my favorite book of the Sevenwaters series. It pulls ahead only slightly of the first book, Daughter of the Forest, because of the richly woven trials and tribulations of venturing into the Otherworld of the Tautha De Dannan. This series weaves all the elements of historical fantasy that make it my favorite genere and I am fully invested in the generational characters, their heroics, and love that make up the family of Sevenwaters.
After the rather sometimes trudging third book with it's disjointed climax, Heir to Sevenwaters was refreshing, engaging and enchanted. Although Irish lore is mixed with all the books so far, in this book it is clutch in solving the riddles of the Underworld and to it's current ruler, Mac Dara. The lore is a fantastic accompaniment with the strong and unwavering underlining theme that love really does, so far, conquer all.
on May 30, 2017
I love all of these books, this one of my favorites though. So much so that I am writing this. I love how in depth she covered the Otherworld. All of her tales show immense strength of the hero's and heroines, and this one is wonderful. At first I didn't like the practical view point, after the first chapter though, I was hooked. Looking forward to the next!
on August 21, 2016
I've long loved the Sevenwaters Trilogy and was SO excited to revisit those beloved characters - and this book was... off. I don't know if a new editor worked on this book or if there was some great event in the author's life to cause her voice to change so dramatically, but there is none of the original magic in this book. The plot line is interesting enough, but the telling is meandering and inconsistent. There are spelling and word choice errors that jar the reader out of the story at some rather inopportune moments (if I ever hear the word "uncanny" again, it'll be too soon). I will still read the next two, because I really do want to know what happens next, but maybe I'll search first for summaries or spoilers to see if I can possibly just know the story without having to go through the agony of reading more of such poorly written drivel.
on August 8, 2013
After three days of some pretty hardcore reading, I finished the fourth installment of the Sevenwaters series. It felt really good to return to a story and characters that has been so familiar to me ever since I read Daughter of the Forest nearly four years ago. I really enjoy the way that JM touches on characters from each generation, showing how time changes things. Out of the books I've read so far, this and Daughter of the Forest are my favorites. Son of the Shadows started out great, but for me lost a lot of it's steam as it chugged along. I had a difficult time getting through Child of the Prophecy, intriguing and dark as it was, because of the abundance of exposition and long-winded descriptions. The romance in Daughter of the Forest is very subtle and sweet and felt like a realistic, coming of age type thing. I sort of felt the same with the romance in Heir to Sevenwaters, even though I wish there had been more buildup to it. The thing I did really like about Clodagh and her love interest, is that they are with each other for the majority of the book and their relationship is much more about acts of selfless love than a burning physical desire, which unfortunately dominated Son of the Shadows.

The plot was very well-paced, the characters well rounded, and the twists and turns surprising. Becan, the odd baby Clodagh must take to the Otherworld in order to retrieve her new baby brother, became one of my favorite characters. The strength of Clodagh's love for Becan was very well expressed, to the point where I was able to feel her tenderness and devotion to him in my own heart. The new villain, Mac Dara, is one evil dude. JM has a knack for creating villains that are so appropriately nasty and worthy of utmost hatred.

I would definitely recommend reading this book! I was sad to finish it, not quite ready to leave that world. It was so hard to put down, though. I literally forced myself to stay up reading late into the night, before I collapsed with exhaustion. I could say a lot more about this book, but I won't because it's rather late and I'm at the point of collapsing from exhaustion, as I mentioned above.

Happy reading!
on May 23, 2013
I love the Sevenwaters series! I absolutely loved Daughter of the Forest and Son of the Shadows did not disappoint. I didn't love Child of the Prophecy as much as the first two so I was hoping that Heir to Sevenwaters would be able to capture these great feelings again for me.

This story takes place just four years after Child of the Prophecy. It is obvious that the reader knows the story of Child of the Prophecy but that the main character (who would have been just a child during that story) does not know those circumstances. This story is about Clodagh who we first met as a twelve year old in Child of the Prophecy. She has a twin, Dierdre and they can communicate with their minds. Dierdre is getting married and Johnny has come to Sevenwaters with his Inis Eala warriors for a time. One of those warriors has caught Clodagh's eye, and one of them is driving her nuts! There are a lot of strange goings on which culminates with Clodagh's newborn baby brother being taken from the nursery when she was watching him. In his place is a changeling of sticks. Clodagh must travel to the Otherworld with this changeling in order to bargain for her baby brother's return. She doesn't know the way in, she doesn't know how to find Mac Dara (the man responsible) and she doesn't know all the rules. Along for the ride is the very warrior who was driving her nuts, but she can't be picky now as she needs all the help she can get. She soon realizes that Cathal (the warrior) is hiding things and is more than he seems, but it isn't until it is too late that she puts all the pieces together.

I loved, loved, loved this installment! The romance was perfecto! Clodagh was strong, smart and brave. I loved the little changeling, Becan. I cried when it was time for Clodagh to give him up.

Reading order of the Sevenwaters series:
* Daughter of the Forest
* Son of the Shadows
* Child of the Prophecy
* Heir to Sevenwaters
* Seer of Sevenwaters
* Flame of Sevenwaters

Favorite quote:

"You're a rare creature, Clodagh," he said. "You're brimful of hope and compassion and love. I didn't see all that when I first met you. But I did feel a spark. I felt an affinity. And I felt desire. It trembled through me at every toss of that fiery mane. It kept me sleepless by night and restless by day. With every kind word and with every sharp one you drew me in further."
on September 4, 2012
HEIR TO SEVENWATERS is the fourth volume in what was originally meant to be the Sevenwaters Trilogy. But author Juliet Marillier created such an evocative landscape with such interesting characters that readers were clamoring for more. Six years after CHILD OF PROPHECY, Ms. Marillier wrote this volume, about the adventures of Clodagh, the third daughter of Lord Sean of Sevenwaters and his wife Aisling.

Clodagh sees herself as a boring, ordinary young woman. But of course, she isn't ordinary at all. When her baby brother Finbar is taken, and a changeling put in its place, Clodagh meets the challenge of bringing her brother back from the Otherworld. Along the way, she meets a soul-mate in the form of Cathal, a prickly young man, given to sarcasm and sudden changes in mood. Derisive about the Fair Folk and other supernatural beings, he seems to be the last person who could help Clodagh in her quest to get her brother back. But all is not as it seems.

Whereas Sorcha and Liadan of the first two books seem almost superhuman in their personalities and achievements, Fainne and Clodagh seem more like real people, and therefore more endearing to the reader. In Clodagh, the heroine who is so good at running a household, readers are sure to find a protagonist they will love. Five stars.
on December 17, 2011
I love Juliet Marillier's books. Her writing and imagination are just incredible. Her characters vivid and wonderful to "be with."

In "Heir of Sevenwaters", the beauty of her descriptions of nature is, as always, done with seemingly loving care and detail. However, whereas Marillier normally weaves a story that makes her books nearly impossible to put down, I found this book overly long, not believable and too convoluted. The characters were merely all right and even given the fantasy folk of her novels, the male "hero" was truly too hard to understand to be able to embrace - his inconsistencies of character hard for me to accept. The journeys the main characters took us on became boring. I found the dialog among characters repetitive and the love story was not strong enough to offset the plodding plot.

Should you think that this book has turned me off to reading Marillier, think again. I have read most of her Sevenwaters books with great joy and I have already purchased another book by her. So, if this review leads anyone to believe that all of her books are less than spectacular, I am leaving the wrong impression. She is, in my opinion, one of the most creative and enjoyable authors in this genre and I highly recommend all of her prior Sevenwaters books. Perfection is hard to achieve every time out.
on January 25, 2017
I love it when books just keep going and you really get to know the characters. This is one of those series. My favorite being the Outlander series.
This book was good, but I wish it had a little more romance in it. Slow at times. Not my favorite of the series.
on March 22, 2009
I generally don't make the effort to review a book, but this one is the exception. I would say that Juliet Marillier is my favorite author and yet this is the first review I have done on her books. Why you ask? Mostly because there have been a few reviews, on this site especially, that have been negative. I know that I almost didn't buy this book because of them. I was worried that Marillier had lost her touch like they said. I am so thankful that I stuck with my gut and bought this book. It has become my favorite out of the whole series. Clodagh has now reached top ten level of favorite characters of all time, right up there with Jane Eyre, and Elizabeth from Pride and Predjudce. I know you probably think that Clodagh's keeping some pretty strange company in my mind, huh? :) The reason why is, unlike the rest of the sevenwaters books, Clodagh doesn't have some great destiny, or a fantastic magical power. It's true that she does have the gift of speaking mind to mind with her twin sister, but she is mostly unable to use it throughout the book. Now I'm not against a strong female lead who can kick butt and defy destiny using her magical gifts, and the love in her heart. I think that's why we all read Marillier in the first place. But there is something so incredibly endearing about Clodagh, who acomplished just as much as her Marillier predessesors, but did it without any gifts whatsoever. She defied fate using only love and determenation, one human girl against all the fae. There is something so inately admireable about that. I think that Clodagh is Marillier's most relatable character. I was "with" Clodagh on her journey. I felt her pain and her determination. There were times that I cried with her, and at the end I rejoiced with her. I practically feel like I know Clodagh. Heir to Sevenwaters is some damn good writing. Buy this book, end of story.
on November 11, 2008
When it comes to Sevenwaters, Juliet Marillier always shines. In this fourth installment, which can be read as a stand alone (though way more fulfilling, methinks, if one has read the first three), Clodagh the domestic perfectionist finds herself in a bad position at an absolutely wrong time. Whilst watching over her new born baby brother, her attention is diverted by a sharp - tongued, perplexing individual who asks for love as he pushes her away. When she turns back to her brother, she finds something else that should not be there, something wrong, something not human in place where the baby should have been. What follows is a tense time where she gets blamed for the disappearance. She resolves to go on a quest to find the lost baby and finds way more than most domestic perfectionists are capable to deal with.

If you've read the other three novels in this series, I don't even know why you're reading this. Add to cart already. However, if this is your first forray into Juliet Marillier, all the Sevenwaters novels are stand alone and enjoyable in and of themselves. But this is the fourth and it may help to have read the previous ones. Quite frankly, Daughter of the Forest (the first) is one of those novels that lingers, that you read and re-read just because you miss the characters. It should not be missed. Also, it should be noted, her books are not typical fantasy; they may have old Irish myths as their basis, but the characters are fully realized. These are not necessarily fantasy novels, but fabulous novels with a touch of the fantastic that just happen to help move the story along.

As for details, Ms. Marillier doesn't disappoint. The writing has a sweet clarity to it with perfect pacing. (I read the whole thing in an afternoon.) One could understand why the main characters were attracted to each other and why they would work as couple. The only thing that I could find fault with (and it's not really even a fault, merely a preference of my own) was that I would have liked to have known a little bit more about a few of the back ground characters.

In short, a beautiful novel that I will definitely read and re -read again. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys solidly plotted, character driven books with a touch of romance. Perfect. Her books always leave me dizzy wanting more and wishing that I had selective amnesia so that I could always be reading her books for the first time.