- File Size: 478 KB
- Print Length: 55 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Mocha Memoirs Press, LLC; 1st Edition edition (March 19, 2016)
- Publication Date: March 19, 2016
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B01D7UQMKG
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,416,313 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Heliodor Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 55 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $1.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Malfric is a voyeur. A blind man who is able to see through the eyes of the dead, and witness their final moments. That’s the premise of this Steampunk novella, and it makes for some uniquely interesting slices of writing. Steampunk is renowned for its visual impressions, and you would think that, with half of the scenes being written from the point of view of a blind man, a big chunk of imagery would be lost, but that is not the case. The author has done a sterling job of placing the reader in a world lived without sight, by supplying a wealth of detail for the other senses, from the warmth of the sun and the sound of street urchins, to the reek of a sailor’s breath.
Because of this, Malfric definitely provides the work with its strongest scenes, and even those where he relives the final moments of the dead are written in a unique and engaging way. I loved the odd, backwards, analytical way that the scenes are delivered, giving them an almost forensic air.
I must admit that I was expecting more at the book’s end in terms of the relationship between Malfric and the female protagonist, but I get the impression that this will be part of a longer continuing storyline. I would also have liked to see a little more detail of the world the author has created. This is only a novella, though, and it does provide a fascinating glimpse into what appears to be an intriguing world, ripe for further expansion.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alternate History
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 90 minutes (44-64 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > 90 minutes (44-64 pages) > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alternative History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Steampunk