- File Size: 1631 KB
- Print Length: 296 pages
- Publisher: Dreamspinner Press (July 7, 2014)
- Publication Date: July 7, 2014
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B01HLORZYG
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#2,869 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender eBooks > Mystery & Detective
- #5 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction
- #6 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy
|Print List Price:||$16.99|
Save $16.00 (94%)
Hell & High Water (THIRDS Book 1) Kindle Edition
|Length: 296 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $1.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
I wanted to ask who in their right mind would act like a clown during their first day on the job, job which Dex knows is ten times more demanding than his previous one was and his previous one was no joke. At first after he reveals that amazing insight in the team he knew all about but ten minutes (eyes roll) I thought it was his mask. Nope - he seems to act like a clown most of the time.
At times he does act as a detective, but boy those times were few and far between.
And villain, really, sigh - so obvious.
I will still read the second book, because despite all the grumble I liked the team, I liked Sloane and even Dex, but could he please just do his work and talk less?
What I expected was--well, I expected the "sad queers" cliche. I expected a wimpy guy and an "alpha" for him to drool over. I expected to either put it down two chapters in, or slog through pointless sex scenes digging for plot, and come to a disappointing ending that was really just a hook for the series.
What I got was a snarky, kick butt young man who stole my heart almost instantly. Dex steals the show, without sidelining the plot or background and side characters. The author skillfully delivers the pasts of the characters in bite-sized pieces, slipping information into just the right places, building world and characters in a pleasantly organic fashion. The only "info dump" worldbuilding is a very short prologue, and then you're with Dex, and it's wonderful. The romance is sudden but not instant, and it doesn't feel forced. Dex and Sloane are both wonderfully clever, strong individuals who stabs on their own two feet. The cast is filled out with characters who feel 3D, who have personalities and hobbies and aren't just background. There are mentions of lesbians and it's neither pointed nor too blase; it doesn't feel like they're there just so the author can point at them and say they're there. There's women in here, and they may not be center stage, but they matter.
This book is funny, and it balances the heaviness of the plot with lighthearted banter, with Dex being a warm and caring guy, with people being jerks for a reason, not just because the plot needed some jerks. There's no doormat characters, and no one is a wimp, honestly, without it being unreasonably packed with unreasonably physically strong individuals.
As a person who doesn't much care about sex scenes (I know, what the heck am I doing in this genre?) the scenes are good, "steamy," but they don't take over the book.
Is this a hook for the series? Absolutely, but only because it's interesting enough to make you want more. You can read this and be done, without it grinding on you. It leaves you wanting more without taking away from the book.
A fun read I'd recommend to anyone who likes action, romance, and gay bundled together with plenty of humor and jokes that are both dirty and goofy, at just the right moments.
Honestly, I'd read this just for Dex. He's wonderful. But the rest of the characters are wonderful too.
I got this free, on "sale" and it is hands-down the best free novel I've ever read and among the best novels I've read, total. Very clever, hook me on a long series. I see what y'all did there... *buys next book*
Bonus YAY, it's also the cleanest read - I noticed a single typo, missing end-quotes. Remarkable line editing.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Gay & Lesbian > Literature & Fiction > Fiction > Gay
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Supernatural > Werewolves & Shifters
- Books > Romance > Gay Romance
- Books > Romance > Paranormal
- Books > Romance > Romantic Suspense
- Books > Romance > Science Fiction
- Books > Romance > Werewolves & Shifters
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Romantic
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > LGBT > Gay Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Dark Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > LGBT
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > LGBT > Gay Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Mystery & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Mystery & Suspense > Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Paranormal > Ghosts
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Paranormal > Werewolves & Shifters
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Science Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > LGBT
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Paranormal & Urban
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > LGBT